Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Weight Loss Tips
i'm not used to meal time..help me! >

i'm not used to meal time..help me!

Community
Notices

i'm not used to meal time..help me!

Old 04-18-2010, 10:53 AM
FitDay Member

Default i'm not used to meal time..help me!

Hello,

since i was young my family and i didn't have a meal time. Our meals always depended whether we were hungry or not. this is not a good, i know that. for example, we always skip breakfast and have a heavy lunch. or skip lunch and have heavy dinner. either ways it's not good for our metabolism.

right now, i'm trying to lose weight but being raised in such environment for 20 years makes hard to get used to a meal time.

what should i do??
Old 04-18-2010, 05:34 PM
FitDay Member

I eat only when I'm hungry as well; the key is not to do "heavy" anything. I'll usually drink a glass of milk or have an otherwise light "breakfast" and graze on nuts, fruit and jerky throughout the day. Eat until you're no longer hungry, instead of eating until you're full... ask yourself after each bite: am I still hungry? If the answer is not a resounding yes then you are done eating.

-Nik
Old 04-18-2010, 09:57 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by tandoorichicken
I eat only when I'm hungry as well; the key is not to do "heavy" anything. I'll usually drink a glass of milk or have an otherwise light "breakfast" and graze on nuts, fruit and jerky throughout the day. Eat until you're no longer hungry, instead of eating until you're full... ask yourself after each bite: am I still hungry? If the answer is not a resounding yes then you are done eating.

-Nik
thanx Nik, i'm glad to know that there are people who have no mealtime, like me.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:07 AM
FitDay Member

Ochax

If you want to have regular meal times then perhaps it's worth looking to see if you can get one meal time in a regular place and then build from there. The most obvious one for me would be breakfast. If you get yourself a regular breakfast routine then perhaps that might help in prventing hunger and start you on a road to a more regular meal schedule.

Remember though that you are doing one life changing thing by working on your weight loss. Trying to work on a second at the same time might create too much stress. And you know what stress can do...

Don't put too much pressure on yourself, if you want the routine then I would say start off slowly. If you don't need to then just keep counting the calories in and calories out and know you are on the right road.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:39 AM
FitDay Member

Breakfast is the key. The word quite literally means "break" your "fast". Your body hasn't had fuel for several hours, it needs food even if you don't feel hungry. If you eat breakfast and give your body fuel, then you won't be so ravenous come lunchtime and you won't need a "heavy" lunch. Waiting until you're starving usually leads to eating more than you really need or want. Personally I like something higher in protein, like eggs. If you don't care for breakfast foods, peanut butter and an apple, nuts, cheese and whole grain crackers, or even beef jerky would work (if you don't mind the sodium). Think of breakfast as a part of the new eating plan. The nice thing about FitDay is you can plan your day ahead of time, so even if you don't have a set meal, you can journal what you will eat today, put it in a box in the fridge, and just eat out of the box as you feel like it. When the box is empty you're done for the day. Some work days are like that for me because I'm usually bringing two meals, two snacks with me to work.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:24 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Not a natural breakfast eater

My tummy doesn't usually wake up until 10 or so. But I eat a light breakfast anyway. It has been hard sometimes, and every once in a while I'll skip breakfast. But everything they say about the importance of eating a morning meal I have found to be true, even if it isn't my first instinct. So plan on something, as Lizzy suggests, an apple with peanut butter, a cup of yogurt or a bowl of cereal. It will really help in the long run.