Notices

suddenly hungry?

Old 11-02-2012, 05:56 AM
FitDay Member

Default suddenly hungry?

I have been losing weight slowly, 33 pounds since May. I have been doing it without going hungry, generally eating around 1700 calories spread out over the day with lots of fibre and protein...but for the past week or so I have been SO hungry! I have been having difficulty keeping my calories under 1900! I am not sure why, I have not increased my exercise level and I continue to drink lots of water. Any ideas? I do not want to start gaining weight again, but I also am not interested in going hungry
Old 11-02-2012, 06:59 AM
FitDay Member

Keep in mind this is just a guess but maybe your body is programmed to think it needs a certain level of body fat which you have dropped below and its trying to compensate by telling you it needs to eat to get back to that level. If you have been losing steadily you might want to go to a maintenance level of eating for a week and let your body get used to its new weight.

Probably not what you want to hear since you are pretty close to your goal weight.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:29 PM
FitDay Member

um yeah, no thanks.

Anyway, I decided to try eating more in the morning and making a more concerted effort to keep my protein intake up. Seems to be working, not quite as ravenous. Still eating more calories than I had been but have dropped two pounds this month so I will take it
Old 11-13-2012, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by jenmyra
Anyway, I decided to try eating more in the morning and making a more concerted effort to keep my protein intake up. Seems to be working, not quite as ravenous. Still eating more calories than I had been but have dropped two pounds this month so I will take it
I was having the same problem, Jenn, feeling absolutely ravenous after things had been working for quite a while. Suddenly what I had been doing wasn't working anymore. I finally figured out that if I have more proteins and fats in the morning, that it helps me to stay on track and not feel as hungry the rest of the day. So I started having my lunch for breakfast, and saving my breakfast for an evening snack when I tend to eat crap. It has really worked. Glad you found the trick that is helping you too!
Old 11-13-2012, 01:07 AM
FitDay Member

You might also need more nutrient dense foods. What works for me is more raw foods, less processed food, chew it well... spend a little longer time eating consciously. Also i find if I drink water before or after, not with, (weird, i know) food I don't get hungry as soon afterward.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:19 PM
FitDay Member

The poster going on about the natural weight loss pills sounds like a spammer.

Anyway some good thoughts from people.I agree more whole foods, protein, and certainly fiber will help.
Sometimes our bodies just get tired of the diet.Then your stomach starts say, hey what are you trying to do, kill me?
So if you hit a rough patch, and have to eat a bit more to break a plateau, it will be ok.I had it happen after about 20 pounds lost.But I started going down again.Best wishes, and hang in there.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:40 AM
FitDay Member

I agree with the higher protein comments. I eat 3 eggs almost daily for breakfast. I have the least amount of cravings and hunger between then and lunch.