FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Weight Loss Tips (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/)
-   -   quitting smoking (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/8013-quitting-smoking.html)

jenmyra 08-07-2012 04:08 AM

quitting smoking

Anybody out there have any success with quitting smoking AND continuing to lose weight? If so, how did you manage/cope? I know ultimately it is better for my health to quit smoking and gain a few pounds, but honestly I am on such a good roll with my weight right now I just don't want to gain any of it back...

lcriswell0421 08-07-2012 06:33 AM

i quit smoking in february of this year, and it was at the same time that i was just starting trying to make changes with my eating. i did successfully lose weight during my quit process. i think a big part of it was that i was aware of the fact that when many people quit they turn to eating to keep their hands and mouth busy. i tried to not give in to my sweet tooth cravings and things like that, and instead i tried to have healthy things to eat like fruits during those times. but mostly i just checked in with my hunger...do i want to eat because i'm actually hungry or is it because i'm anxious and need something to keep me busy? i was really strict with myself about logging everything and staying within my calorie range each day. good luck to you! i feel a million times better now that i stopped, and i'm so happy i was finally able to kick the habit (i used chantix to help me quit).

sewdream19 08-09-2012 12:53 AM

I quit smoking too. It's hard! I began running so I am hoping quitting will help me increase my distance and speed. It is difficult to cope with the food and nicotine cravings!
http://mobiletabletguide.16mb.com/img2/s.gif

anvil440 08-09-2012 09:40 AM

I feel your pain. I am a smoker, again, trying to quit, again. I had quit 5-6 years ago, but picked it back up about a year ago.

When I quit before, I just quit. Cold turkey. It was weird because I didn't have any problem with it. But, now I'm having a hard time just putting it down.

IDK.

lcriswell0421 08-09-2012 01:43 PM

i tried to quit so many times over the years and failed...until i got a prescription for chantix. it was amazing! no withdrawals, quit in 1 week (february 11, 2012) and haven't picked up one since. i really recommend checking with your doctor about it to see if it would be right for you. it made quitting a breeze.

janmaree 08-09-2012 10:35 PM

Hypnosis

I have recently quit and have not gained but have begun to lose weight . I went to see a hypnotist and it was easy! I had tried those mp3s and recordings but seeing a real live hypnotist made the difference for me.
I really thought that I would put on weight. This was one of the reasons I kept smoking. I know that I heard every word they said but I honestly can not remember any specifics. It was so relaxing but took 2 days before I finally stopped without any effort and without any side effects. I should try it for weightloss! :rolleyes:

nichaleh 08-09-2012 11:12 PM

I have put off giving up smoking again because last time I put on a lot of weight, someone I work with has done the hypnosis and he hasn't started again. There is a local woman doing it, it does cost a bit but she guarantees for life so one payment gets you as many sessions as you need. Previously I have used patches (worked for 3 months) cold turkey (ouch) pregnant so cold turkey (best of the lot, I stopped for almost 3 years, why oh why did I start again!!!) and champix which was working but I stopped taking it too early because it made me feel really sick, once I stopped taking it the cravings came back because I didn't wean off like you are supposed to. most of my starting again related to either having 'just one' at a party, or my friends and partner constantly smoking around me making it much harder. I think I Might try the hypnosis before the end of the year. It might be my best bet yet.

Cilmaen 08-12-2012 01:33 AM

Cold Turkey

Hi, I gave up smoking (cold turkey) Feb just gone & started to put on more weight. This was a good thing, for now I'm dieting, joined a gym & train inbetween.

Giving up drinking then smoking & then tackling my weight problem all within a few months of each other are the three greatest things I have done for myself. All my life I made excuses on why not to give up smoking, but at the end of the day I was just kidding myself.

Some folk do put on weight when they first give up smoking, but with the right diet & exercise the weight will soon come off.

kkotelman 08-15-2012 09:09 PM

I had trouble quitting cigs. chantix, patch, weaning, cold turkey. I just couldn't do it. Then I discovered the e-cig, worked like a charm. Haven't had a real cig since May 2010. After a few weeks I could climb stairs and exercise comfortably. I could breath again! I know quitting is better but I didn't have the willpower. If your having trouble quitting maybe give e-cigs a try.
Lots of info here www.e-cigarette-forum.com

nnm0989 08-15-2012 10:07 PM

Quit smoking and Help yourself through Nicorette.

HI,

One of the best products that I have ever come across to quit smoking is Nicorette Gum and I believe in that product because today with the help of that I used Nicorette Gum that allowed me to actively control on how much nicotine I used & when I used it.
I used Low Strength 2mg Gum: Since it was suitable for me, I use to smoke approx 12 cigarettes a day.
And so with the 12 Week Nicotine Replacement Plan of Nicorette I quit smoking. Today it’s been almost more than 6months and I don't get any cravings.
Thanks and Cheers to Nicorette and its Quit smoking Products.
Regards,
Neil

nnm0989 08-19-2012 11:47 PM

Quit Smoking and Live your Life better

Hi...
Stop smoking aids are among the effective techniques that one can use to crush their nicotine addiction. However, as they say, what works for some may not work for everyone. One of the best products that I have ever come across to quit smoking is XXXXX Gum and I believe in that product because today with the help of that I have quit smoking and from past six months I have not got a single craving...

Regards,
Neil

loseweightblues01 08-21-2012 08:31 PM

if you have the feeling of smoking, try to have some sweet candy to alleviate the urge. Divert your attention to some physical exercises.. Good luck!

jdavis2008 09-24-2012 11:59 PM

I quit smoking a few months ago and in the process gained about 10 lbs:( , however there were other contributing forces at work in my life at the time...

Now a few months down the line Ive lost that weight and lost even more inches and can jog/do cardio for twice as long as I used to :) The energy really is great and the cravings and urges i used to get when a friend or family member would smoke around me are gone, In part because I dont want to lose the new energy Ive gained.

Each person quits differently just like each person loses weight differently. If you need to take a hold on your diet to quit smoking then i say go for it, but just make a commitment to lose back all the weight you may gain.

maybe you can use fitday to make sure you dont overeat while quiting but not restrict you calories below what you burn. Or maybe you could create a custom food called cigarets on fitday to keep you accountable if you cheat.

whatever you do I wish you goodluck!

harveysmith27 09-28-2012 11:46 PM

Smoking

Smoking having number of disadvantages for our health and not good.
I did not smoke yet and will not. If you want to lose weight just maintain your diet and start doing exercise both will help you.

jenmyra 10-11-2012 02:26 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I have been smoke free for 11 days now and it is getting easier (but still really hard!). Thus far I have not gained any weight, but neither have I lost. I have noticed a desire to snack more but am trying to control it. Drinking lots of water helps. Thanks again!

Skipper50 10-11-2012 04:52 AM

Fresh Fruit and Veggies Help Too!

There is a great article in Men's Health this month about the science behind why incorporating fresh fruits and veggies helps you quit smoking easier. Highly recommend reading it.

brianparker101 11-20-2012 08:09 AM

Quitting smoking is the hardest thing ever. I'm planning on joining an MMA gym in hopes of staying fit and hopefully quitting smoking at the same time.