FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Weight Loss Tips (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/)
-   -   Need to reduce belly fat (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/796-need-reduce-belly-fat.html)

Melissafit79 04-07-2010 09:45 PM

Need to reduce belly fat

I thing that kick boxing on a punching bag can be very effective on losing stomach fat and tightening your belly. It is affecting every muscle, but if you use your legs more, you are pointing stomach.
I would like to hear other opinions.
Regards!

farr1022 04-07-2010 10:30 PM

Hi Melissa,

It may be a good exercise to strengthen Abs, but it will not make you lose stomach fat any more than it will help you lose neck fat. You cannot "spot reduce" areas of your body for fat loss.

glenn1978 04-07-2010 11:23 PM

what farr said...you cannot spot reduce fat

As much as I wish one could, this is just not possible. Your body losses fat in a layered effect much like a onion.

A punching bag is a great cardio exercise but the only way to drop belly fat is to lower your total BF%.

jonr71 04-08-2010 10:44 PM

Glenn1978 - perhaps you could drink some herbal tea. That may help. I am sure that Melissa can point you in the right direction.

Melissa - nice attempt to develop credibility (Fail!)

Melissafit79 04-11-2010 06:11 PM

John, COME ON MAN...... LEAVE ME ALONE! I didnt fill those tables, I left them by default. I've joined this site to discus.
You are so boring.

Melissafit79 04-11-2010 11:53 PM

But what if I just have fat on my stomach. Of course my but is made of fat, butt my arms, my legs, they are not fat.
I have idea that working out on a punch bag is efective and if you use legs and high kiks you are concetrating more on stomach, and it tightens whole body, that's for sure.
I mean if your body has no fuel except on your stomach it will use it, and after that kind of workout you give it just proteins.

wavemaster1 04-12-2010 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Melissafit79 (Post 8212)
But what if I just have fat on my stomach. Of course my but is made of fat, butt my arms, my legs, they are not fat.
I have idea that working out on a punch bag is effective and if you use legs and high kiks you are concetrating more on stomach, and it tightens whole body, that's for sure.
I mean if your body has no fuel except on your stomach it will use it, and after that kind of workout you give it just proteins.

If what they are saying is true, that you lose in layers, where are the layers?
Is there not a layer on your belly?
If so then you are correct, punching bag does reduce belly fat because it is part of the layer.

AS_Legion 04-12-2010 09:03 PM

I think in the end it is a commbination of the right exercise and the right diet.
Kickboxing burns a lot off calories, but once again if a person eats more than what he/she burns you will never see a fat reduction.

glenn1978 04-20-2010 01:36 AM

The point I was trying to make by saying that you lose fat in layers is you can't target a specific area of fat and lose it by doing one type of exercise. You can tone certain groups of muscles, but you can't aim your exercises at your stomach and only burn off the fat that is there. In operating at a calorie deficet your body will burn fat all over your body. So with that being said, kickboxing is a great way to lose body fat not just belly fat.

I hope this helps.

skypilot77 04-21-2010 01:09 AM

If you have a house that is flooded with water you can't just pump the water out of one room --- even though the pump is set up in one room.

As the pump works to remove the water the water level drops across all the rooms.

The same is true with fat reduction. You may be working the pump on the stomach but fat reduction works across the whole body because it is stored all over the body.

Rumoroo 05-12-2010 03:04 AM

@Skypilot77: awesome illustration!

MrClimbfall 05-12-2010 05:38 AM

Yeah, you can't target belly fat that way. My personal trainer told me that the key to losing belly fat is to work the legs like mad. So I do think that kickbocing or kicking the life out of the punching bag will certainly help to strengthen your core, which is a neccesity, but it won't make fat fall off. Good things to lose belly fat is running in place with a ten pound ball (or less) I run in place with a 10 lb. Ball for 1min 40 sec. I started at just a half minute and ill be moving up to 2 mins soon. Anything that works the legs will benefit for sure. But remember, low weight high reps. You don't want to get buff, rather you want to get cut. :)

leecoper 01-04-2011 01:33 PM

I am very fat two year ago.but now this time I am very fit and healthy.I found this sites on my pc and I read the rule of this site and I do that I watch my stomach is flat in two month.So I give the advice to all my friend to make spam and make look smart.

traaccy 01-24-2011 09:26 PM

Jogging, Brisk Walking, Swimming and Skipping some of the best exercises for weight loss.

kiltman 01-30-2011 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by skypilot77 (Post 8986)
If you have a house that is flooded with water you can't just pump the water out of one room --- even though the pump is set up in one room.

As the pump works to remove the water the water level drops across all the rooms.

The same is true with fat reduction. You may be working the pump on the stomach but fat reduction works across the whole body because it is stored all over the body.

Great analogy!

Connor61 08-06-2011 06:42 AM

Flat stomach tips?

I am looking for some great core workouts to get that flat stomach. Hav tried crunches and whatnot but I can never see any results:( i was also wondering if anyone has any oblique workouts that work for them?

01gt4.6 08-06-2011 09:35 AM

Clean diet is #1. I've had just as good of luck with my core by doing deadlifts as I have with any ab exercise.

Geoffers 08-07-2011 09:29 PM

Deadlifts, planks, knee raises etc will all help build and tone muscle. But that muscle will still be hidden under a layer of fat unless you address diet and fat-burning exercises.

vabeachgirlNYC 08-07-2011 09:38 PM

Pull ups. I just finished a challenge that involved doing pull ups everyday for 60 days straight. I never knew they worked your abs like they do!

tandoorichicken 08-23-2011 10:17 AM

You can do crunches till you're blue in the face and you still won't see your abs until you get your diet in line. Add in some cardio and watch the hills and valleys appear! Hill sprints, sled drags, and even plain old walking every day will get you there.

Yo, peeps.
:cool:

RunbikeSki 08-24-2011 01:33 PM

Yup,
Lots of full body exercises actually work the abs as much as an isolated exercises like crunches. But as others have noted, it is really the aerobic exercise that will help burn that layer of fat and allow the pumped and primed abs to show through!

I totally believe 60 days of pull ups would bring out the definition on your tummy, VA. Thats quite a challenge! :eek:

new_wave 10-24-2011 05:58 PM

Need to reduce belly fat

Hello Guys!

I am 24 yr old male, I need to reduce my belly fat, looking for exercise/ diet suggestions?

TrainersRoom 10-28-2011 05:02 PM

lose fat

To lose fat may be in one day or two is not at all possible. There are many things you need to consider as wrong sources to lose weight, as they can harm your body in many ways. However, instead of thinking of losing weight, you can see more results if you concentrate on healthy food and maintaining good fitness of body.

VitoVino 10-29-2011 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by new_wave (Post 60499)
Hello Guys!

I am 24 yr old male, I need to reduce my belly fat, looking for exercise/ diet suggestions?

FitDay Discussion Boards - Threads Tagged with belly fat

almeeker 11-01-2011 10:40 AM

Gee lots of great advice here, the only "flat stomach tip" I can offer is to not get pregnant, that wrecks your washboard FOREVER. LOL.

VitoVino 11-01-2011 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by almeeker (Post 61229)
Gee lots of great advice here, the only "flat stomach tip" I can offer is to not get pregnant, that wrecks your washboard FOREVER. LOL.

LOL. Good one! :D

dear_abby 11-02-2011 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by almeeker (Post 61229)

Half the world doesn't have worry about that! Lucky dudes!

kdf1081 11-22-2011 07:07 AM

My husband lost 17 lbs doing this

My husband and I started using supplements from a company called Advocare. They have the most amazing products, and I've never felt better. He used their 24 day challenge and lost 17 pounds while on it. He still wants to loose more but it was a great kick start without having to do any crazy dieting. Of course you still have to watch what you eat put it did give you some structure and also gave you energy while you got through it. If anyone is interested please let me know, the stuff is awesome!!!

VitoVino 11-22-2011 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by kdf1081 (Post 63194)
If anyone is interested please let me know, the stuff is awesome!!!

No no no, I don't take it no more, I'm tired of waking up on the floor. No thank you please, it only makes me sneeze, and then it makes it hard to find the door.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVGerWFYotQ

01gt4.6 11-22-2011 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by kdf1081 (Post 63194)
If anyone is interested please let me know, the stuff is awesome!!!

That's awesome news. I lost 28 if 15 days by only eating spam. About 12 years ago I lost 125 pounds of dead weight IN ONE DAY, just by getting a divorce.

VitoVino 11-22-2011 12:45 PM

LOL Mike, you're a riot. :D

01gt4.6 11-23-2011 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by VitoVino (Post 63240)
LOL Mike, you're a riot. :D

It's true though. You'd think that dropping 125 pounds in one day would come with many negative side effects, oddly enough it didn't.:eek:

VitoVino 11-23-2011 04:14 AM

Oh, I agree. I've dropped hundreds of totaled pounds over the years. It's the best kind of weight to drop because it never comes back. :D

KentLee 12-10-2011 05:58 AM

Need to reduce belly fat

Hi there,

I just want to share with you my experience about that kind of problem. A months ago, I had a problem same as like you. Actually, I did everything to burn out my fatty belly. I did workouts, exercise, and even balance diet. Somehow, its working but you really need to give extra an effort to maintain those arduous things. I decided to find another way to decipher my problem that need less effort. And someone told that hcg drops for weight loss would really helped me to solve it. Indeed, it is really true. I hope this could help. :)

leadernotfollower 12-18-2011 01:01 PM

Losing belly fat on a punching bag may work

One may not think that they can link removed on the punching bag but in reality you are moving your hips side to side and therefore working the sides of your stomach fat. :)

Meggietye 12-19-2011 07:59 AM

The only exercise I get right now is Oxycise 5 hrs per week and I have lost 9 lbs overall in 6 weeks..indeed it peels off like onion layers lol but my gut must have a lot of layers.

Keep on doing what works for you. The best exercise for you is the one you will do :)

Nancy

rosiecris 01-04-2012 01:45 AM

Pilates! Gut buster fer sure!

dylanrandolph 01-05-2012 09:28 PM

Hey, You don't have to worry about your belly fat. If you really want to reduce your belly fat you have to schedule your daily routine. Just leave your bad eating habits, eat low carb diet and do proper workout.

Lisa.Dalton 01-08-2012 11:11 PM

Hmmmm ... Muffin top!

There is a muffin top on my body and I don't like it. I've tried ignoring it but it didn't go away! My eating habits are not terrible ... I prefer healthy eating but I suspect I have my metabolism in such a confused state it's not really sure what do. I eat well and lean for a bit ... Then have long stretches of hating food completely ... Then have a little turn on sugar and salt ... Then have a big turn on wines and canadian club and cola! Hopefully ... With some little changes and a big dose of personal accountability I can whittle away the muffin top. It would be so nice to wear clothes I like again rather than opting for clothes that hide bumps and lumps. Fingers crossed!!

almeeker 01-08-2012 11:14 PM

Good luck, I hear you on the muffin top, mine's looking less and less like a muffin and more like the whole loaf. Thank heavens the holidays are over for a while.