FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Weight Loss Tips (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/)
-   -   Weighing yourself? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/7294-weighing-yourself.html)

rlynn456 05-07-2012 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by frenchhen3 (Post 80550)
Yep, agree, I like seeing the fluctuations, when I see those jumps I can think rationally and say, "Did you eat an extra 7000 calories this week? Did you not exercise? well then that gain is a fluctutation, not a "gain" and it will disappear in a day or so... " and I don't lose my drive to the goal.

This makes me feel better about weighing myself daily, it's true I need to think rationally, I know I'm not cheating on my diet and week by week there is a loss. Thanks for the encouragment! - Renee

majja 05-07-2012 07:52 AM

I weigh daily as well. I don't stress about fluctuations. I actually find it very interesting to see how different foods, caloric value and exercise impact my weight. On the days my weight goes up I'm motivated to make better food choices and to exercise more and on the days my weight goes down I see I'm doing things right and I'm motivated to keep up. I feel daily weighing brings me more in touch with my body and lets me know myself better.

RunbikeSki 05-07-2012 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by majja (Post 80590)
I weigh daily as well. I don't stress about fluctuations. I actually find it very interesting to see how different foods, caloric value and exercise impact my weight. On the days my weight goes up I'm motivated to make better food choices and to exercise more and on the days my weight goes down I see I'm doing things right and I'm motivated to keep up. I feel daily weighing brings me more in touch with my body and lets me know myself better.

Good point Majja! Nice to see how someone with a healthy attitude about fluctuation. Now if only I could adopt such a thing. :rolleyes:

lastri 05-07-2012 02:21 PM

I don't want to weight myself everyday but I can't help it. Once I took the scale in the basement and try to just weight 1 a week. Then I found myself walking down the basement every morning. So what the heck, just put it in the bathroom.
I do get discourage when my weight up but I just have to get on the scale. I wish I could just think positively or just weight 1/week.
Mai

beccafries 05-09-2012 12:19 PM

I weigh once a week as well......every now then I may wanna see how my wt flunctiates with certain foods...

botoepfer 06-18-2012 02:51 AM

I too weigh daily, I am in the early stages of what I am calling round three of my significant weight loss having lost 80lbs a few time before, I at 51 y/o am rady do do it for the last time!,
I journal my weight daily and what I may do is recored it weekly, but now I need to keep close watch of it ! I am not a successs as yet but with the help of those here and the site in general I know I will be,, Thanks Bo

Borg-mx5 06-18-2012 03:24 AM

I weigh daily. I make small adjustments to my caloric intake on a daily basis. I use this data to come up with a "calories per pound target" which is then adjusted up or down monthly. This is a lot of work and I do not recommend it. As for fluctuations, you can see a 2 lb. increase or decrease just from your water intake. For some it can be discouraging to see that jump in one day, but I just focus on the long term trend. I keep a simple goal of losing 5 lbs. a month. I also measure body fat to see a more realisitic view of what I am doing. I am currently at an embarrassing 36.2% body fat.
Weigh in will vary. Do what feels comfortable for you.

Joe

Male, 5'7", 53.
Start : 04/16/12 - 276.8 lbs.
Today: 06/18/12 - 262.4 lbs.

wasranch 06-19-2012 08:06 AM

You need to use the same scale because each scale will read a little different. I have 2 scales and they seem to read about 3 lbs different. As for how often to weigh in I say do what you feel comfortable with. I myself weigh in daily. I like to know if what I am doing is causing water retention. I know there is NO way I am going to eat enough to really gain 5 lbs in a day, but it makes me think of what I ate and drank the day before so I can understand how my body is reacting.

Truthfully I find that weight on the scale isn't always the truest measure of where I am at in this process of getting healthy and reshaping my body. I find that my weekly measuring is a truer indicator of my progress. Picking key areas like your neck, chest, waist, hips and thighs to measure with a cloth measuring tape will help especially if you are building muscle as muscle is more dense and takes up less space.

JaimeMWS 06-26-2012 03:49 AM

I weigh in daily, at the same time, and record it in a temporary form. Then at the end of the week I average the daily weights and record the average and put it on a chart. This eliminates the effect of daily fluctuations, which can distort the once-a-week weigh results. I am new to this site, and am figuring out how to adapt it to this weigh method. (I used to keep the graph paper with the weekly averages taped to my bathroom mirror.)

perfectparanoia 07-03-2012 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by JaimeMWS (Post 84303)
I weigh in daily, at the same time, and record it in a temporary form. Then at the end of the week I average the daily weights and record the average and put it on a chart. This eliminates the effect of daily fluctuations, which can distort the once-a-week weigh results. I am new to this site, and am figuring out how to adapt it to this weigh method. (I used to keep the graph paper with the weekly averages taped to my bathroom mirror.)

I do this but I take the lowest result. It makes me feel better and keeps me motivated so what the heck?