Notices
Like Tree2Likes

Hey fattie, your excuses are why you are fat!

Old 03-29-2010, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jmead821
And like many others, I prefer the bluntness. I know I have only myself to blame for this. I agree with you about tracking your progress with photos. I took my "before" photo this weekend and can I say I really hate looking at it. I do look like that in my mind...however, the reality is I DO look like that. I'm new to this site but I will be looking for your posts in the future. Congrats on your progress!!!
thank you. I also recommend that when the time come to go clothes shopping b/c everything falls off of you, keep an old shirt & pair of pants. Not to keep for "just in case", but to keep for the that day when you wake up and don't feel quite like yourself. That day when you feel like your are up against a wall, either you doubt yourself... or a friend, co-worker, or family member doubts you. Go to your closet, grab those old jeans and let them just fall off you. Then come back here, click on this > YouTube - Pants On The Ground - Larry Platt - American Idol [LYRICS] and smile.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:06 PM
FitDay Member

Absolutely LOVED your post. I am 5'7", 47 and weigh 122 pounds and I will tell all of you that it is still a daily struggle to stay that weight (I've been here since 2005). I still have to make the right choices every day (thank God for Netrition,com!!) but have to laugh at a lot of the ads on this forum: "Lose weight without dieting, It's not your fault your fat, it's your cortisol level. Everybody wants a pill, not the work involved. Someone on another forum has the following siggy: "Being fat is hard, losing weight is hard, maintaining weight loss is hard. Pick your hard."
Old 03-29-2010, 01:53 PM
FitDay Member

Loved that last post..."pick your hard". Isn't that the truth! Now how about the consequences of the "hard" we pick. I love the consequences of practicing accountability (hard), of planning my meals and making sure there's good food in the house (hard), of planning my workouts and doing the plan (really hard), of daily logging of food (and I do permit a couple of cheat meals per week), you guys get the idea. I want a good return on the hardship! Consequences of doing the work are great. Good lab reports, energy to live my life like I want, feeling good about how my body looks, greatly increasing the likelihood of a disease-free life, lowering my health care costs (that should really be called disease care), improving my "love" life, feeling happier in my skin.

I have a screen saver that reads:

I am responsible for EVERYTHING that happens to me in my life today.

Obviously, if a tornado comes roaring through, I didn't cause it, but I am still responsible for my wellbeing. If I got fired tomorrow, I am responsible for how much money is or isn't socked away for emergencies. And I am most definitely responsible for what I put in my mouth to eat.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:58 PM
FitDay Member

I don't know, I don't really like the harshness. Maybe I'm the only one.

Now, I'm managing to get in some exercise and eat well, but that's because life is working in my favor. Not everyone can just pack up the kids and take them out for an invigorating game of frisbee at the local park. My kids aren't interested in that kind of stuff. If my kids are with me, I really can't be exercising other than sporadically. One of my kids is autistic, and rather unpredictable. I'd love to go swimming, but I can't afford to call in someone to watch my kids for an hour, and if you knew my son, you'd laugh at the thought of expecting him to come anywhere near water and the smell of chlorine.

I used to get up at 5:30 and go to the gym before getting my kids ready for school. That worked well for a while, but I was losing too much sleep. If my 8 year old is ever cured of his insomnia, then I'll start that up again. In the meantime, I need every hour I can get.

Currently, I walk with my kids part of the way home from school, out of necessity. It's exercise, but we go slowly, because they are loaded down with backpacks, and exhausted after a long day. In the summer time, none of us can bear to be outside after about 8 am, because it's too hot.

Well, I'm losing weight now, and using FitDay to log in my calories. It's working well, although currently I can't exercise at the intensity I would like because I've developed foot problems and have no money for new shoes. My husband just found a job, finally, so as soon as he gets his first paycheck, I'm buying some good shoes. I'd go bike riding, but I can't ride a bike. Well, I can ride, but my balance is terrible, and I can't get on and off without falling, and I can't signal because I fall if I don't have both hands on the handle bars. In order to get to the bike path, I have to cross a lot of streets, and I can't do it safely. I'm hoping that my core exercises will help with that.

What I'm saying is that, yes, I agree that you have to get past the excuses, but, a lot of times there are things out of your control. If you've been sitting on the couch watching Oprah every day, then maybe you can jog in place in front of the TV. But what if you watch Oprah while your baby is napping in your arms, and he won't sleep any other way? (Been there, only without the TV.) You have to make do with what you've got. Sometimes what one person can do is different than what another person can do. To just say, (I paraphrase) "get off your flabby butt and take the whole family roller blading to the farmer's market" is making a lot of assumptions.

If it inspires people, that's great, and I understand. For me, these kind of motivational things seem a bit one-size-fits-all.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

yep, hard can be good or bad. We can be hard on ourselves by doing nothing to get us to our goals or we can test it out and see that hard work really pays off.

Wooo whooo post # 100 and I only was able to ruffle one set of feathers.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:59 PM
FitDay Member

elderwanda-you can't compare yourself to anyone else. What matters is making today just a little better than yesterday. All the "little" things add up over time. Yeah, life can beat you down sometimes, but how you handle it is up to you. Maybe you can't get to the gym, but you can choose to not eat at the drive thru. And yeah, I'd probably be a lot thinner without the husband and kids. But I don't have to accept being fat because I'm busy. I get up at 5 am to get to work on time and I don't get to stop until 10:30 pm, so exercise on a workday doesn't happen. And I can't get anything done when the 2 year old is up. So my progress is slower, but it's still progress.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Lizzy, I read your posts and I think you are doing a great job! You have a really healthy and positive outlook.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

elderwanda, you snuck that it on me, I didn't see it earlier when I replied. Congrats on making progress!

I have a friend with an autistic child so I know how unpredictable they can be. Why not walk the full way to and from school and what about carrying one of the kids backpack on the walk home? Carrying an extra load will burn additional calories.

Trust me when it comes to heat and humidity I understand. I live in south Louisiana, I'm not looking for near 100* temps nor 90%+ humidity. I also know that if I'm out there sweating my butt off I'll probably cut more fat.

I also have a problem with my feet (plantar fasciitis), it was such pain to even get out of bed. I ended up getting custom made orthotics, talk about an expensive chew toy for the dog. I used them for a couple years then got away from them. As bad as that felt, I must say that shin splits are just as bad, if not worse.

Has balance always been an issue? Have you had your ears checked? If there is no medical reason for it, you may want to try some Yoga. It'll be a PITA at first but will help you with your balance.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 03-29-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:47 PM
FitDay Member

Actually I do carry his backpack part of the way. We're both getting stronger because of it, but it's like 13 pounds (he's only 80 pounds), so it really does a number on him.

Personally, I'd like to walk all the way (without the foot injury), but the little one goes pretty slow, and it's about a mile and a half. We've done it a few times, though.

I'm not that ruffled, btw, I just wanted to put in my two cents, hopefully without sounding like a whiner. I probably did, though.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by elderwanda
Actually I do carry his backpack part of the way. We're both getting stronger because of it, but it's like 13 pounds (he's only 80 pounds), so it really does a number on him.

Personally, I'd like to walk all the way (without the foot injury), but the little one goes pretty slow, and it's about a mile and a half. We've done it a few times, though.

I'm not that ruffled, btw, I just wanted to put in my two cents, hopefully without sounding like a whiner. I probably did, though.
I was referring to someone on another page getting ruffled. I appreciate everyone's point of view.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.