Notices
Like Tree2Likes

Hey fattie, your excuses are why you are fat!

Old 03-29-2010, 10:49 PM
FitDay Member

I think elderwanda and I are suffering with the same issue, not excuses so much as full throttle MOTHERHOOD! I have always put my family's needs before my own, and I think being rushed all the time to get everything done for every one else has, in part, caused me to fall behind taking care of "me". The funny part about making dieting and exercise changes in my own life is that it's having a profound impact on my family's health as a whole. I had no idea when I started doing this that my kids would start making healthier food choices and wanting to exercise with me. Who knew?
Old 03-29-2010, 11:04 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
I think elderwanda and I are suffering with the same issue, not excuses so much as full throttle MOTHERHOOD! I have always put my family's needs before my own, and I think being rushed all the time to get everything done for every one else has, in part, caused me to fall behind taking care of "me". The funny part about making dieting and exercise changes in my own life is that it's having a profound impact on my family's health as a whole. I had no idea when I started doing this that my kids would start making healthier food choices and wanting to exercise with me. Who knew?
Not sure I would call it an excuse (maybe we are just scared of calling things excuses as that would be admitting previous failings), just a pattern that we parents fall into. I would say to myself on a regular basis that "I put my family first". But when I really got down to thinking about it, and after my wife had become very ill with a life threatening condition, I realised that a dead Dad was no good for them at all. One of the things I needed to get into balance was the use of the time when my kids were asleep to do the work needed to get in shape. Also (like you said in a previous post) was to log everything I was eating. I am now losing weight steadily and hope to emerge in a few weeks in the "healthy" wieght, Fat% and BMI ranges. Once I am there, I will be working on ensuring that my lifestyle today becomes my lifetime habit and that when I think about putting my family first I realise that I am part of that family and looking after me is just as important.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:39 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by jonr71
Not sure I would call it an excuse (maybe we are just scared of calling things excuses as that would be admitting previous failings), just a pattern that we parents fall into. I would say to myself on a regular basis that "I put my family first". But when I really got down to thinking about it, and after my wife had become very ill with a life threatening condition, I realised that a dead Dad was no good for them at all. One of the things I needed to get into balance was the use of the time when my kids were asleep to do the work needed to get in shape. Also (like you said in a previous post) was to log everything I was eating. I am now losing weight steadily and hope to emerge in a few weeks in the "healthy" wieght, Fat% and BMI ranges. Once I am there, I will be working on ensuring that my lifestyle today becomes my lifetime habit and that when I think about putting my family first I realise that I am part of that family and looking after me is just as important.
You are absolutely right, I am part of this family and I have to take care of myself too. Good luck in forming your new habits.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:37 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by elderwanda
I don't know, I don't really like the harshness. Maybe I'm the only one.

<snip>

If it inspires people, that's great, and I understand. For me, these kind of motivational things seem a bit one-size-fits-all.
The TRUTH & FANTASTIC PICS what more can you ask for they just ooze INSPIRATION.

01gt4.6 thank you - thank you very much !!!!

As a brand new newbie yours was the first forum post I stumbled on to and I think everyone should read it and be INSPIRED by all the very hard work you have done for yourself -- Man you should be VERY PROUD !!!!!
Old 03-30-2010, 05:51 AM
FitDay Member

I am enjoying reading this thread, the no BS approach is refreshing and motivating! I think alot of us here, including myself, have tried all kinds of different 'weight loss programs', and are just sick and tired of how the whole industry plays on the emotional end of weight loss. Time to get real now.

There is no reason why we can't care for ourselves, no matter what is going on in our lives, under any circumstances, we can find some way to do this basic thing for ourselves. I'm not sure if there is anything more important than doing this. Everyone has their own circumstances and needs to find their own way.

To the parents out there, I think you would be doing your kids a real favour by incorporating a healthy lifestyle and showing them how important fitness and maintaining a healthy weight really is. I did not grow up in a home where this was valued.

Thanks Mike for bravely starting this thread. Nice pics too-although you look sort of serious; if I were you, I'd be grinning from ear to ear with that kind of success! Congrats, what you have accomplished is really fabulous.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:01 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by elderwanda
I don't know, I don't really like the harshness. Maybe I'm the only one.

Now, I'm managing to get in some exercise and eat well, but that's because life is working in my favor. Not everyone can just pack up the kids and take them out for an invigorating game of frisbee at the local park. My kids aren't interested in that kind of stuff. If my kids are with me, I really can't be exercising other than sporadically. One of my kids is autistic, and rather unpredictable. I'd love to go swimming, but I can't afford to call in someone to watch my kids for an hour, and if you knew my son, you'd laugh at the thought of expecting him to come anywhere near water and the smell of chlorine.

I used to get up at 5:30 and go to the gym before getting my kids ready for school. That worked well for a while, but I was losing too much sleep. If my 8 year old is ever cured of his insomnia, then I'll start that up again. In the meantime, I need every hour I can get.

Currently, I walk with my kids part of the way home from school, out of necessity. It's exercise, but we go slowly, because they are loaded down with backpacks, and exhausted after a long day. In the summer time, none of us can bear to be outside after about 8 am, because it's too hot.

Well, I'm losing weight now, and using FitDay to log in my calories. It's working well, although currently I can't exercise at the intensity I would like because I've developed foot problems and have no money for new shoes. My husband just found a job, finally, so as soon as he gets his first paycheck, I'm buying some good shoes. I'd go bike riding, but I can't ride a bike. Well, I can ride, but my balance is terrible, and I can't get on and off without falling, and I can't signal because I fall if I don't have both hands on the handle bars. In order to get to the bike path, I have to cross a lot of streets, and I can't do it safely. I'm hoping that my core exercises will help with that.

What I'm saying is that, yes, I agree that you have to get past the excuses, but, a lot of times there are things out of your control. If you've been sitting on the couch watching Oprah every day, then maybe you can jog in place in front of the TV. But what if you watch Oprah while your baby is napping in your arms, and he won't sleep any other way? (Been there, only without the TV.) You have to make do with what you've got. Sometimes what one person can do is different than what another person can do. To just say, (I paraphrase) "get off your flabby butt and take the whole family roller blading to the farmer's market" is making a lot of assumptions.

If it inspires people, that's great, and I understand. For me, these kind of motivational things seem a bit one-size-fits-all.
I appreciate your circumstances but it really only boils down to 1 simple thing: calories in vs calories out. I feel better if the protein in my diet is on the high end (100-120 grams a day) but for the most part, it is a calorie thing which is why Fitday is crucial. You can still easily lose if you can't exercise, you just have to pare the food down more than an active person. It's not fun, I'll be the first to admit but you don't need to kick-box every day to lose weight.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by teddytee
The TRUTH & FANTASTIC PICS what more can you ask for they just ooze INSPIRATION.

01gt4.6 thank you - thank you very much !!!!

As a brand new newbie yours was the first forum post I stumbled on to and I think everyone should read it and be INSPIRED by all the very hard work you have done for yourself -- Man you should be VERY PROUD !!!!!
thank you very much! Welcome to the board.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:04 PM
FitDay Member

well said!! 2 and 6 are my excuse I keep telling myself...aghh! no more excuses for us and we should all be get up and start working on it!! it's funny we know how we should be doing but we accept ourself being lazy, full of excuses as it is.. and today is actually my first time here and it looks very very good =]
Cheers guys!
Old 03-31-2010, 12:13 AM
FitDay Member

Default Along these lines, from 1955!

(From my blog).

Last edited by missavie; 03-31-2010 at 12:17 AM.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:14 PM
FitDay Member

Read a quote today that reminded me of this thread.

"Instead of giving myself reasons why I can't, I give myself reasons why I can." - unknown

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.