Go Back   FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Weight Loss Tips
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-30-2010, 11:49 AM   #51 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
almeeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,742
Default

I think elderwanda and I are suffering with the same issue, not excuses so much as full throttle MOTHERHOOD! I have always put my family's needs before my own, and I think being rushed all the time to get everything done for every one else has, in part, caused me to fall behind taking care of "me". The funny part about making dieting and exercise changes in my own life is that it's having a profound impact on my family's health as a whole. I had no idea when I started doing this that my kids would start making healthier food choices and wanting to exercise with me. Who knew?
almeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:04 PM   #52 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: London, England
Posts: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by almeeker View Post
I think elderwanda and I are suffering with the same issue, not excuses so much as full throttle MOTHERHOOD! I have always put my family's needs before my own, and I think being rushed all the time to get everything done for every one else has, in part, caused me to fall behind taking care of "me". The funny part about making dieting and exercise changes in my own life is that it's having a profound impact on my family's health as a whole. I had no idea when I started doing this that my kids would start making healthier food choices and wanting to exercise with me. Who knew?
Not sure I would call it an excuse (maybe we are just scared of calling things excuses as that would be admitting previous failings), just a pattern that we parents fall into. I would say to myself on a regular basis that "I put my family first". But when I really got down to thinking about it, and after my wife had become very ill with a life threatening condition, I realised that a dead Dad was no good for them at all. One of the things I needed to get into balance was the use of the time when my kids were asleep to do the work needed to get in shape. Also (like you said in a previous post) was to log everything I was eating. I am now losing weight steadily and hope to emerge in a few weeks in the "healthy" wieght, Fat% and BMI ranges. Once I am there, I will be working on ensuring that my lifestyle today becomes my lifetime habit and that when I think about putting my family first I realise that I am part of that family and looking after me is just as important.
__________________
Began - March 10th 2010

Starting wieght 195.4lbs
Starting Body Fat 27.1%
Starting BMI 27.2

Target Weight 170
Target Body fat <19%
Target BMI 24

As of May 12th

Weight: 178 (Total lost 17.4 ,Loss this week 2.0 )
Fat %: 22.3
BMI: 24.8
jonr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:39 PM   #53 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
almeeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonr71 View Post
Not sure I would call it an excuse (maybe we are just scared of calling things excuses as that would be admitting previous failings), just a pattern that we parents fall into. I would say to myself on a regular basis that "I put my family first". But when I really got down to thinking about it, and after my wife had become very ill with a life threatening condition, I realised that a dead Dad was no good for them at all. One of the things I needed to get into balance was the use of the time when my kids were asleep to do the work needed to get in shape. Also (like you said in a previous post) was to log everything I was eating. I am now losing weight steadily and hope to emerge in a few weeks in the "healthy" wieght, Fat% and BMI ranges. Once I am there, I will be working on ensuring that my lifestyle today becomes my lifetime habit and that when I think about putting my family first I realise that I am part of that family and looking after me is just as important.
You are absolutely right, I am part of this family and I have to take care of myself too. Good luck in forming your new habits.
almeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:37 PM   #54 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderwanda View Post
I don't know, I don't really like the harshness. Maybe I'm the only one.

<snip>

If it inspires people, that's great, and I understand. For me, these kind of motivational things seem a bit one-size-fits-all.
The TRUTH & FANTASTIC PICS what more can you ask for they just ooze INSPIRATION.

01gt4.6 thank you - thank you very much !!!!

As a brand new newbie yours was the first forum post I stumbled on to and I think everyone should read it and be INSPIRED by all the very hard work you have done for yourself -- Man you should be VERY PROUD !!!!!
teddytee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:51 PM   #55 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 154
Default

I am enjoying reading this thread, the no BS approach is refreshing and motivating! I think alot of us here, including myself, have tried all kinds of different 'weight loss programs', and are just sick and tired of how the whole industry plays on the emotional end of weight loss. Time to get real now.

There is no reason why we can't care for ourselves, no matter what is going on in our lives, under any circumstances, we can find some way to do this basic thing for ourselves. I'm not sure if there is anything more important than doing this. Everyone has their own circumstances and needs to find their own way.

To the parents out there, I think you would be doing your kids a real favour by incorporating a healthy lifestyle and showing them how important fitness and maintaining a healthy weight really is. I did not grow up in a home where this was valued.

Thanks Mike for bravely starting this thread. Nice pics too-although you look sort of serious; if I were you, I'd be grinning from ear to ear with that kind of success! Congrats, what you have accomplished is really fabulous.
__________________
Jan 8, 2010: 248 lb
April 23, 2010: 239 lb
Goal ~ June 30, 2010 ~ 200 lb


"Instead of giving myself reasons why I can't, I give myself reasons why I can." - unknown
Shell250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:01 PM   #56 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderwanda View Post
I don't know, I don't really like the harshness. Maybe I'm the only one.

Now, I'm managing to get in some exercise and eat well, but that's because life is working in my favor. Not everyone can just pack up the kids and take them out for an invigorating game of frisbee at the local park. My kids aren't interested in that kind of stuff. If my kids are with me, I really can't be exercising other than sporadically. One of my kids is autistic, and rather unpredictable. I'd love to go swimming, but I can't afford to call in someone to watch my kids for an hour, and if you knew my son, you'd laugh at the thought of expecting him to come anywhere near water and the smell of chlorine.

I used to get up at 5:30 and go to the gym before getting my kids ready for school. That worked well for a while, but I was losing too much sleep. If my 8 year old is ever cured of his insomnia, then I'll start that up again. In the meantime, I need every hour I can get.

Currently, I walk with my kids part of the way home from school, out of necessity. It's exercise, but we go slowly, because they are loaded down with backpacks, and exhausted after a long day. In the summer time, none of us can bear to be outside after about 8 am, because it's too hot.

Well, I'm losing weight now, and using FitDay to log in my calories. It's working well, although currently I can't exercise at the intensity I would like because I've developed foot problems and have no money for new shoes. My husband just found a job, finally, so as soon as he gets his first paycheck, I'm buying some good shoes. I'd go bike riding, but I can't ride a bike. Well, I can ride, but my balance is terrible, and I can't get on and off without falling, and I can't signal because I fall if I don't have both hands on the handle bars. In order to get to the bike path, I have to cross a lot of streets, and I can't do it safely. I'm hoping that my core exercises will help with that.

What I'm saying is that, yes, I agree that you have to get past the excuses, but, a lot of times there are things out of your control. If you've been sitting on the couch watching Oprah every day, then maybe you can jog in place in front of the TV. But what if you watch Oprah while your baby is napping in your arms, and he won't sleep any other way? (Been there, only without the TV.) You have to make do with what you've got. Sometimes what one person can do is different than what another person can do. To just say, (I paraphrase) "get off your flabby butt and take the whole family roller blading to the farmer's market" is making a lot of assumptions.

If it inspires people, that's great, and I understand. For me, these kind of motivational things seem a bit one-size-fits-all.
I appreciate your circumstances but it really only boils down to 1 simple thing: calories in vs calories out. I feel better if the protein in my diet is on the high end (100-120 grams a day) but for the most part, it is a calorie thing which is why Fitday is crucial. You can still easily lose if you can't exercise, you just have to pare the food down more than an active person. It's not fun, I'll be the first to admit but you don't need to kick-box every day to lose weight.
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:29 PM   #57 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
01gt4.6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Slidell, Louisiana
Posts: 7,478
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddytee View Post
The TRUTH & FANTASTIC PICS what more can you ask for they just ooze INSPIRATION.

01gt4.6 thank you - thank you very much !!!!

As a brand new newbie yours was the first forum post I stumbled on to and I think everyone should read it and be INSPIRED by all the very hard work you have done for yourself -- Man you should be VERY PROUD !!!!!
thank you very much! Welcome to the board.
01gt4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:04 AM   #58 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2
Default

well said!! 2 and 6 are my excuse I keep telling myself...aghh! no more excuses for us and we should all be get up and start working on it!! it's funny we know how we should be doing but we accept ourself being lazy, full of excuses as it is.. and today is actually my first time here and it looks very very good =]
Cheers guys!
scarlettlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:13 PM   #59 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 10
Default Along these lines, from 1955!



(From my blog).


Last edited by missavie; 03-31-2010 at 01:17 PM.
missavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:14 AM   #60 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: IL
Posts: 17
Default

Read a quote today that reminded me of this thread.

"Instead of giving myself reasons why I can't, I give myself reasons why I can." - unknown
veixsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
weight loss tips

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2