Notices
Like Tree2Likes

Hey fattie, your excuses are why you are fat!

Old 03-28-2010, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by nrh322
Imagine my shock and dismay when my doctor lovingly placed his hands on my shoulders...looked me in the eyes...and said, "Naomi, you're still fat because you eat too much and don't get enough exercise."
Wow, I thought I could be harsh. I take it that you and your doctor have a good relationship for him to come out like that. It sounds like your weight gain was out of your control, but your weight loss will be of your control.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Default Tough Love

This is what it's all about. We don't put up with excuses for why homework didn't get done, or why someone did a poor job at work, or why we forgot to pay this bill or that, so why would we put up with them for not losing weight?

There is a phenomenon in therapy called "Yes, but..." Sometimes I get clients who complain, complain, complain, and every suggestion, insight, or intervention is met with a phrase that begins, "Yes, but..." Nobody gets better that way. Nobody loses weight that way. Honesty with yourself and being accountable are incompatible with excuses.

Relatedly, rationalizing is also a killer. "I can eat this ice cream sundae because I just spent two hours playing basketball." Yeah, but how much further ahead would you be if you didn't eat it?

As is seen in my other posts, I am all about finding what works for you and doing it, and if that includes relaxing or "cheating" once in a while, that's great. But be honest with yourself about the fact that you are doing it, plan for it, compensate for it, don't apologize for it, and don't make excuses for it.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cjohnson728

Relatedly, rationalizing is also a killer. "I can eat this ice cream sundae because I just spent two hours playing basketball." Yeah, but how much further ahead would you be if you didn't eat it?
ding ding ding, we have a winner. You hit the nail on the head with this one!
Old 03-28-2010, 09:31 AM
FitDay Member

EXACTLY!! I was talking to a trainer the other day and he gave me this little tidbit:

Think about 2 people racing to a 450 calorie count. One eats a donut. One is on a treadmill. Who is going to "consume" 450 calories first?

It's certainly something to think about the next time you're getting ready to pick up a donut!
Old 03-28-2010, 09:38 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
Wow, I thought I could be harsh. I take it that you and your doctor have a good relationship for him to come out like that. It sounds like your weight gain was out of your control, but your weight loss will be of your control.
Harsh...yes...but it was what I needed to hear. I'd been letting myself off the hook for too long and it was doing me more harm than good.

I find out tomorrow if I'm going to need knee surgery. I tore my meniscus and gave myself a stress fracture while I was at "fat camp" a couple weeks ago. Maybe fat people shouldn't do jumping jacks? I can't really walk right now, but I'm still doing abs...still doing upper body workouts...being extra careful about my calorie intake. I'm jumping out of my skin wanting to get in more cardio.

There was something about getting that cold hard slap in the face of reality that made me want to prove him wrong. I don't think that sort of thing works for everyone....but it worked for me!
Old 03-28-2010, 09:51 AM
FitDay Member

Nice post... you speak the truth. The hardest part of losing weight is getting to the point where you are wholeheartedly trying to do it. No "magic pills," "miracle diets," or other bullshit. Eat better and exercise. That's the only way to do it.

To those who say they aren't losing weight as fast as Mike did - as long as you are losing you're on the right path. Some of us take it a bit further... Mike does P90X, which from what I've heard about it totally kicks your ass. It took him a LOT of hard work to get where he is, not just cutting calories.

Best of luck to all those who are ready to get serious about losing weight!
Old 03-28-2010, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mfagerstrom
Nice post... you speak the truth. The hardest part of losing weight is getting to the point where you are wholeheartedly trying to do it. No "magic pills," "miracle diets," or other bullshit. Eat better and exercise. That's the only way to do it.

To those who say they aren't losing weight as fast as Mike did - as long as you are losing you're on the right path. Some of us take it a bit further... Mike does P90X, which from what I've heard about it totally kicks your ass. It took him a LOT of hard work to get where he is, not just cutting calories.

Best of luck to all those who are ready to get serious about losing weight!
thanks man. You really did it big with your weight loss! 110 pounds is amazing, we all know you got there from doing the right things and no excuses! I completed one full round (90 days) of P90X, and almost finished a 2nd round. I ended up quitting b/c I got bored with it. Now I lift weights and walk and thanks to the 52DC I'm still making progress.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by nrh322
There was something about getting that cold hard slap in the face of reality that made me want to prove him wrong. I don't think that sort of thing works for everyone....but it worked for me!
actually you'll be proving him right, which is well enough. It is nice showing the doubters that you can really do it though. Good luck with your knee. Can you swim??
Old 03-28-2010, 10:56 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
actually you'll be proving him right, which is well enough. It is nice showing the doubters that you can really do it though. Good luck with your knee. Can you swim??
Can I swim? Now, unfortunately, no. In general, yes. It's one of my favorite activities. I'm a retired scuba instructor and WSI. I'm not supposed to be doing anything more than walking to and from the loo and I'm already in trouble for doing more than that (someone's got to get the groceries and do the laundry and stuff, right?)....I go to the surgeon tomorrow to get the lowdown. I'll find out if I'll definitely need surgery (fingers crossed for the 5% odds of no) and get a protocol for what I can and can't do for PT and recovery and whatnot. In the meantime, I'm doing lots and lots and lots of ab workouts. Eventually, I hope to have a six pack again...instead of a case!
Old 03-28-2010, 11:42 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up No excuses, indeed

I'm a straighforward person, so I tackle issues head on. The matter of excuses applies to everything in life, including weight loss. But the truth is that in order to do anything about anything, one needs energy. Many of us want whatever we want but we don't have energy to make the first step. Or the second. And no, it's not an excuse, it's an explanation.
Another truth is that one has priorities. If your priority is to keep your body healthy and strong, you will start making better choices. I don't know how hard it is to not pick up a hamburger or fries from McDonald's on your way somewhere. I also don't know how hard it is to turn the TV off for 30-40 minutes and just go for a walk outside. Many small things add up but none of that is considered.
Anyway, the line of excuses ended for me once I was introduced to a fabulous me and fabulous life that I, with my own bare hands, took away from myself later. Due to heavy stress for over a year, I unnoticeably shed pounds until I weighed 126 or even less. I'm 5'5", heavy boned, so it was too much for me. Nevertheless, I felt better than ever! I looked in the mirror and saw fabulosity! :-) I enjoyed attention on daily basis and everything was in my control.
Then things started to change gradually and I noticed myself eating unhealthy things on unhealthy hours. Do you think I could see myself getting fatter? Not really. I did see something, just a bit, but it was okay. And okay. And okay. Until it wasn't anymore. Guess what? I hit 173 lbs mark several months later! I never knew myself in such weight and it made me even more depressed when I remembered that lost fabulosity.
No, I said, I don't want to keep looking in the mirror and gross myself out. After all, what's more important to me - ice-cream at night that tastes sooooo goooood! or living life, I mean Living Life! ? The answer was obvious.
I moved out of state due to other reasons and joined the gym. Then I figured out an eating routine for every day. It wasn't easy but no excuses worked for me anymore. Why? Priorities! My knee wasn't happy about the weight, so it hurt. Carrying extra 40 lbs on my body isn't fabulous. I had no right to abuse my body so much - the body that worked for me every day.
And of course, pounds started to come off. Two something months later I dropped 17 lbs. Yes, I have 17 more to go and I have two months for it. But, I learned to love exercise after I hated it for 28 years. It makes me feel good! And, when my body isn't full of shit, it feels more energetic.
I have a picture of me 173 lbs and it's scary. I won't post it here because I'm in my underwear. Maybe I'll do it once I'm done with my success story in two months.
You're right - excuses take us where we are now. Excuses basically mean "choices." I choose to eat crap or I choose to eat well. I choose to move or I choose to sit on my ass. I choose to feel good or I choose to feel miserable. If so, then all I can say is "Please, if you choose all this and if the outcome isn't so great, then stop whining and complaining. Start choosing something different. If you care."

YOUR SACRED TEMPLE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.