Notices

Weight Loss and Shift Work

Old 03-19-2012, 02:23 PM
FitDay Member

Default Weight Loss and Shift Work

Are there any other people out there who are trying to lose weight while working rotating night shifts? Any tips would be appreciated.

I find I often end up eating almost twice as much when I'm on nights as I get less sleep (therefore spending more time awake and feeling hungry). My body is still in the "eat at 12pm and 6pm mode" and yet I still have a whole 12 hour shift ahead of me, complete with the feeling of needed to eat a "breakfast, lunch and supper". Its not so bad if I can actually get 8 hours of sleep thought the day as I'll just sleep throught the 8am and 12pm hunger, but if I happen to wake up, look out! Not to mention what the time shift is doing to my metabolism
Old 03-27-2012, 05:07 AM
FitDay Member

I have found that 100 calories per hour that I'm awake works for me and still allows me to lose weight. I am a CNA and sometimes end up working a surprise double. When that happens, I am generally awake for 24 hours straight, so I try to stick with 2400 calories. Otherwise I shoot for about 1800 a day. (Note I said "shoot for". Doesn't always work out that way.)

Hope this helps.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:42 PM
FitDay Member

You could do some very short high intensity training before your shifts. I work 2 days then 2 nights and try to exercise before my 1st night shift then do most of my exercise on the days off. Avoid the junk food that might be piled at the desk, drink lots of water, and make sure that you eat more than 3 hours before you go to bed in the morning. Hope that helps.