Community
Notices

plateau(ing)

Old 02-29-2012, 08:07 AM
FitDay Member

Default plateau(ing)

Hello,

Don't let my username fool you, I made that out of spite sometime in the fall when my girlfriend encouraged me to start tracking my intake. When January came and a friend of mine put on a "biggest loser" competition I felt enough is enough (also, i felt i wanted the money ).

On January 12th, at 28 years old and 5'6" I weighed in at 180.8lbs. Since then I've lost around 26lbs, currently sitting at 154lbs. A huge accomplishment but I was planning on about 10 more. When I was in college I weighed 147lbs and with my frame it looked right. I knew at first the weight would come off quicker but I havent lost anything for the past week, even putting on about two pounds from 152 - 154.

I am eating around 1500 calories a day and have greatly increased my activity. Burning between 500-700 extra calories a day or every other day.

I feel I am at a plateau and am looking for advice for anything that might help.

Breakfast is usually about 30 - 60 minutes after I wake up. It has a higher percentage of proteins and fats than carbs. Calories are usually around 200-350.

Lunch is more carbs, fruits and vegetables, with protein, lean meat. Around 400 calories.

Dinner is lighter, mainly even between carbs, fats and protein. Around 200-350.

Snacks are in between the meals, fruits,vegetables, nuts, yogurt, protein/fiber bars. to round out close to 1500.

Most of the food I eat is fresh, not processed except for soups(i know it contains 2 servings), yogurt & protein/fiber bars.

Exercise comes from cardio machines, soccer, roller hockey, basketball and broomball in the afternoon or evenings.

Anyone out there plateau at some point and what were you able to do to push through it?

Thanks!
Old 02-29-2012, 08:13 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by fastfood4life

Anyone out there plateau at some point and what were you able to do to push through it?

Thanks!

http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums...g-plateau.html
Old 02-29-2012, 08:26 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks Vito!
Old 02-29-2012, 08:29 AM
FitDay Member

You're quite welcome! As far as I'm concerned, that thread is the best accumulation of "plateau" advice on the internet. Best wishes!
Old 02-29-2012, 01:48 PM
FitDay Member

On top of all the great advice in the thread Vito linked, I would suggest trying to work in some weight training into your routine. At 1500 calories you are likely losing some lean muscle mass, which will decrease your base metabolic rate (number of calories your body uses just to function). I'd also make sure you are getting 'enough' protein (which is a big topic in itself).

I am your same height and have been doing pretty good at maintaining my weight loss and I think one of the biggest reasons I can keep dropping is that I am working very hard at maintaining/building my lean mass.

Whatever you do best of luck to you!
Old 03-01-2012, 06:59 AM
FitDay Member

Clark,

I will be all for lean muscle mass as soon as this 'biggest loser' competition I'm in is over. I want to be careful of adding muscle weight, though I am doing some toning and aerobic class type exercise. I'm at a big disadvantage because I don't have much more to lose, but I'm gonna try my hardest to win that money (while staying healthy).