Notices

"Emotional Eating"

Old 02-29-2012, 06:18 AM
FitDay Member

Angry "Emotional Eating"

How do you rid yourself of this hideous lifestyle?
What has helped you change from a " Live to eat" person,
to an " Eat to live" person.
What works ?? What doesn't ??
I applaud those that have learned to win against this struggle,
and not continually sercome to the desire to eat for the sake of eating.
Any Shrinks out there ??
Old 02-29-2012, 07:06 AM
FitDay Member

Ken, this is a great topic.

With me, as with everyone, it's a transition from emotional eating to "eat to live". I used to be highly addicted to cheese, pizza, cookies, chocolate, etc etc. This was in June 2011 so not long ago.

I joined FD in the later part of July. I started logging my foods and paid close attention to my macros. After getting them under control I focused on my micronutrients. That took a few more months to bring THEM into healthy ranges. All along I was learning. It was a challenge to get my numbers "right" and it became a FUN challenge. And very rewarding too.

By the end of this process, somewhere around 5-6 months into tracking, I was in the HABIT of "eating to live". Then I discovered that I had developed a taste for these "good foods" and really didn't miss the "bad foods" any longer. And I constantly think of the bad foods as "poison". I've demonized sugar, whites, processed foods, saturated fats, etc etc. Not to say I'll NEVER eat them again, just that if/when I do it will be very limited.

So the bottom line to transitioning for me to "eat to live" is this:

1) eat clean
2) after a while, you'll be more in the habit of eating clean
3) you'll be totally immersed in eating clean, habitually, and your taste buds will change and you'll enjoy it.
4) autopilot begins, where not much thinking about deviating occurs
5) the benefits of health are what now keeps me "eating to live", and this, along with the power of HABIT (#3) are what keeps me anchored.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:07 AM
FitDay Member

I started making almost everything we eat in our home from scratch. I limited how many times a month we can eat in a restaurant. I started buying "better food" because honestly, when you eat all your meals at home you save SO much money and can afford a higher quality meat, fresh fish, fresh vegetables, fresh fruit! I don't even crave or even consider fast food, junk food, any of that anymore. (it's been about 10 months since I made those drastic restaurant limitations, restaurant food in most cases is not the healthiest way to eat.)

Congratulations on your six and a half pound loss since January!! That is so wonderful!
Old 02-29-2012, 07:08 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by VitoVino
Ken, this is a great topic.

With me, as with everyone, it's a transition from emotional eating to "eat to live". I used to be highly addicted to cheese, pizza, cookies, chocolate, etc etc. This was in June 2011 so not long ago.

I joined FD in the later part of July. I started logging my foods and paid close attention to my macros. After getting them under control I focused on my micronutrients. That took a few more months to bring THEM into healthy ranges. All along I was learning. It was a challenge to get my numbers "right" and it became a FUN challenge. And very rewarding too.

By the end of this process, somewhere around 5-6 months into tracking, I was in the HABIT of "eating to live". Then I discovered that I had developed a taste for these "good foods" and really didn't miss the "bad foods" any longer. And I constantly think of the bad foods as "poison". I've demonized sugar, whites, processed foods, saturated fats, etc etc. Not to say I'll NEVER eat them again, just that if/when I do it will be very limited.

So the bottom line to transitioning for me to "eat to live" is this:

1) eat clean
2) after a while, you'll be more in the habit of eating clean
3) you'll be totally immersed in eating clean, habitually, and your taste buds will change and you'll enjoy it.
4) autopilot begins, where not much thinking about deviating occurs
5) the benefits of health are what now keeps me "eating to live", and this, along with the power of HABIT (#3) are what keeps me anchored.
Vito, I think we are singing from the same hymnal!
Old 02-29-2012, 07:29 AM
FitDay Member

I'll take baritone, you've got soprano, sister!
Old 04-03-2012, 09:20 PM
FitDay Member

Keep in mind that if you're giving your body less than what it could use if it had it, it will do a lot of other things to make due off of less before losing weight.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:14 AM
FitDay Member

I have struggled with emotional eating for a very long time...I am still working on it but what HAS worked so far in helping a bit is setting more limits and boundaries in my life...saying "no" more often to people when they want or need something from me...working on putting my needs first, etc.

Also..I have been trying to allow myself other guilty pleasures I usually deny myself..such as shopping, taking time to read a good book for pleasure, watching a good movie, etc. By allowing myself to enjoy certain luxuries, I am less likely to overeat emotionally because I am allowing myself to "overdo" other pleasures. I really think overeating comes with being a perfectionist because when you want everything and realize you can't do it all, one can overeat to compensate for feelings of failure and dissatisfaction with oneself.

So (without replacing one obsession with another) allow yourself some other guilty pleasures and be mindful of your personal space and boundaries. Remember you come first because if you don't put your needs first you will feel cheated on that is what left me to overeating in the past. I think a lot more people do it than are willing to admit it...so you're not alone!

Overeating is primarily caused by lack of confidence and self-esteem. I went through a year of therapy only to find my main issue was that I didn't value myself enough. Once you realize you come first and that there is nothing wrong with loving yourself first, you will start to do better with this (corny but very true) Hope it helps.

I am still working on remembering these things but it has helped me a lot!!! If anyone else has advice who conquered this problem please share!
Old 05-02-2012, 04:03 AM
FitDay Member

I've struggled with emotional eating for a long time as well. For me, I had to go so far as to stop carrying cash and credit cards with me so that I wouldn't buy food while I was on the road or at work. That helped. Also, as others have said, buy things that you have to prepare, or that take time to consume. For example, get nuts still in their shell, or any fruit with a tough peel like an orange.

The bigger problem for me, though, was learning emotional regulation without turning to food. That's more of a psychological problem, but you can help by finding different things. Carry a pocket game with you, like a small book of sudoku or other puzzles, something to get your mind off of food when you are stressed. Also, write down 5-minute activities that you can do throughout the day to relieve stress or anxiety you might have. Whenever you feel an urge to soothe with food, pick something off of your list and do that instead. Hope that helps!
Old 05-13-2012, 09:33 AM
FitDay Member

I overeat when I'm sad, and whenever I'm happy. Any change to my mood puts food items around me in mortal danger!
Old 05-13-2012, 05:03 PM
FitDay Member

Well it's a tough decision to choose whether you'd stay a 'live to eat' lifestyle or turn in to 'eat to live' especially when you have extra money to support the 'lust'. But, you know what, emotional eating really affects our lives, especially my close friends!

One of my friends gets big appetite whenever she feel stressed or depressed... the result, she gain weight! while another close friend of mine refused to eat or eat a little when facing same situations... and the result surely she became thinner than before. But, they're all okay now! Healthy and beautiful!

For me, I think I would choose the 'eat to live' lifestyle especially these disturbing days! I'm just being practical, you know it would be difficult for me to control myself more, if I focus on food that just satisfies me, but makes a sick wallet and stuffs like that!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.