Notices

FitDay's Best of Series: Breaking a plateau

Old 06-24-2011, 09:08 AM
FitDay Member

Default Over exercising + too few calories = plateau

Originally Posted by mdrl
I've been exercising and dieting, and the first two weeks I lost 6 pounds, but then I've been stuck. It's really frustrating ...it makes me want to give

Starting weight was 164
Now 157
Height 5"5
Female, 18 years old

I work for 1.5 hours a day and go 5 times a week, and I ride my bike to the gym and back home which is 1.5 miles away so its 15-20 minute ride

I usually eat 800-1200 calories a day

With the amount you exercise 800-1200 calories is not enough...up your protein. You should be between 1200-1400 maybe more some days. Up your water also.

Last edited by VitoVino; 02-08-2012 at 06:21 AM. Reason: added quote, title
Old 06-26-2011, 03:45 AM
Super Moderator

Lightbulb Are you getting careless about tracking?

People tend to get sloppier about measuring as time goes on. So, the exercise and low-calories should be working but one of those is probably being overestimated. That said, who cares? If you think you should go 'lower' in calories, then try that.... it will just mean you're cutting out a little more or working your body a little more. Which helps get through a plateau.

Last edited by VitoVino; 02-07-2012 at 05:22 AM. Reason: added title
Old 07-09-2011, 04:34 AM
FitDay Member

Default Here's what I've heard about breaking a plateau

Here's what I've heard about breaking a plateau, but I've not tried it myself:

- gradually increase your calorie intake slightly, while closely watching your weight. When you've added 500 cal/day OR gained 3lbs (whichever comes first), hold that calorie level for a few weeks. You are looking for a higher calorie count that let's you stabilize at your current weight.

- after a few weeks at this higher calorie count, go back to the lower count you've used for weight loss and you should see the weight start to fall again.

Last edited by VitoVino; 02-07-2012 at 05:25 AM. Reason: added title
Old 07-10-2011, 04:16 AM
FitDay Member

Default Walk a little bit more than normal

I have had many plateaus during my life. It is hard to understand them, at least it is for me. There are some days and weeks that I know I should be losing weight, but the weight stays the same.

The one thing that seems to help me a little, is to walk a little bit more than normal. I know that sounds simple, but it seems to help me a little.

Last edited by VitoVino; 02-07-2012 at 05:26 AM. Reason: added title
Old 08-07-2011, 08:37 AM
FitDay Member

Default People swear by carb cycling

Also, a lot of people swear by carb cycling. It might be worth a shot.

Bodybuilding.com - Carb Cycling Articles!

Last edited by VitoVino; 02-07-2012 at 05:26 AM. Reason: added title
Old 10-17-2011, 05:02 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default It's time to change something up

To paraphrase a popular saying, "Plateaus Happen". Your body gets used to reduced calories and/or increase exercise. It's time to change something up--eat a little more (or less), change your calorie mix a bit, do a different form of exercise. Or all three!

You can also just wait it out--if you are sure you are maintaining a daily calorie deficit, you WILL eventually start losing again.

Regards,
Michael

Last edited by VitoVino; 02-07-2012 at 05:27 AM. Reason: added title
Old 12-08-2011, 07:34 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default My diet doc recommended this

Originally Posted by rosiecris
I have lost about 30 pounds and have more to go, but the scale seems stuck. I'm exercising and eating under 1000 calories. Suggestions for breaking thru this plateau are much appreciated.

Hi Rosie,
I don't know how much weight you want to lose, but I can tell you from my experience and many other's here on the forums, that plateauing at 30lbs is really common. Basically your body is trying to get used to its new shape and metabolism. Here is a suggestion that worked for me (actually my diet doc recommended this):

Now is a good time to recalculate your daily calorie requirement (it will be substantially lower with your new bod). Most of us find that FitDay over estimates the requirement (especially for women - which I am assuming your are) so pick an activity level lower than what your really think is correct and use the lowest calculation.

Once you have that information, up your daily calories to just below your "maintence" level for a few weeks to allow your body to get used to the new you. Try to make sure that you continue whatever exercise routine you have adopted and maybe - if possible - add a little more.

After a week or 2 return to your reduced calorie plan.

Some people do have a little trouble with this. For one, if you have been really good about maintaining your calorie deficit, allowing yourself to eat more can be a scary. Secondly, some people rather than continuing with the great eating habits they have developed just adding a little more food, see this as an opportunity to return to the old bad habits - don't be one of those people.

The biggest benefit to this is that some day you will be at your chosen weight and you will have to maintain that weight, believe me, maintaining can be as hard as losing. So consider this a practice run.

Last edited by VitoVino; 02-07-2012 at 05:34 AM. Reason: condensed, added title
Old 02-07-2012, 03:14 AM
FitDay Member

Default Watch the sodium!

Originally Posted by VitoVino
My advice is STOP with the binges/cheating and EAT CLEAN every day. And WATCH YOUR SODIUM. Sodium is a major player in retaining water and therefore throwing off scale readings.
I definitely agree on the sodium. It was a big factor in my being stuck on a weight.

Last edited by VitoVino; 02-07-2012 at 06:12 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:50 AM
FitDay Member

Plateaus can be confusing!!