FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Weight Loss Tips (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/)
-   -   FitDay's Best of Series: Macronutrients (Carbs/Protein/Fats) (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/6392-fitdays-best-series-macronutrients-carbs-protein-fats.html)

Lynzatn 01-04-2010 09:43 AM

FitDay's Best of Series: Macronutrients (Carbs/Protein/Fats)

MODERATOR'S NOTE:

The following is a collection of the best tips that FitDay members have to offer, taken from many threads over a long period of time. Thank you to all of the contributors!

This thread can be used as a "one stop shopping place" for reference.

If you have any suggestions for other posts to be included, you may always PM one of the Forum Moderators.

NOTE: To avoid confusion, posts on this thread have been edited to reflect all macronutrients in this order: Carbs-Protein-Fats

All posts are about weight loss unless otherwise noted in the Title.

wydok 01-05-2010 02:20 AM

40/30/30

The Zone and Tony Horton's Power 90 program both suggest a 40-30-30 ratio. 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat. I tried this for awhile, but it really just seemed to be too much of a pain in the butt to keep track of.

Right now, I stick to 1200 calories. When I've reached my goal weight, I plan to switch into a muscle gaining regiment and will consciously increase my protein. But I've lost 77lbs so far without really paying attention to percentages and worrying more about total calorie intake.

All that being said, I also know that most health professions recommend less than 40 grams of fat per day.

KrissyTaps 01-19-2010 06:14 AM

40/30/30

I am targeting 40 carb, 30 protein, and 30 fat. A few years ago I got a personal trainer for a few months at the gym, and this was my goal. I lost a couple of inches around from sticking with this as well as working out consistently. Now, I am at home and working out with the 30 Day Shred. So far I have lost 4 lbs (in two weeks), but I noticed my protein was very low and my carbs were too high. To combat this, I have decided to "replace" my lunch with a protein shake and will continue to eat all other meals and snacks. Including the protein shake definitely seems to have corrected the issue I was having.

digdug5 02-25-2010 11:01 AM

40/40/20

Welcome!

This is my first post, but I've doing the nutrition thing for a while (FitDay for a little over a week).

When presented as XX/XX/XX, it does go carbs, protein, fats.

I am sticking to the 40/40/20.

The ratio will depend on your activity level, and I think overall calories will be what you are looking at. If you are extremely active, 50/30/20 might be a good place to start. Your body will need the extra carbs to draw energy from, especially for a long, sustained run.

My advice would be to find the number of calories that you want to consume each day and work backwards from there. Meaning, have a number in mind, divide that into each category using the 4/4/9 ratio and see how many grams of protein you're looking at. From there, see how you can meet your protein goal first, because honestly, fats and carbs are easy to come by...protein is a little tricker. With most protein sources, you get a little fat and a little carb. So you may be surprised out how quickly those two categories can outpace protein if you're not careful....

Example:

You want to consume 1500 calories on a 50/30/20 plan.

1500 * 0.3 = 450

450/4 = 112.5g of protein

Do the same thing for fat and carbs and you'll have a good base to start from. Hope that helped and wasn't a meaningless ramble...

Sdufour 02-25-2010 12:52 PM

50/30/20

I think the easiest ratio to follow and the most common is 50/30/20. It's easier to see this on a plate. Here are the basics:

1 - Carbs should make up 2/3 of what's on your plate - veggies or salad w/brown rice (1/2 C) or sweet potato - and the rest protein.
2 - Fat can come from your salad dressing and 1/2 avocado in salad, oil for stir frying veggies or a little (tsp) butter w/yogurt (2%) on sweet potato.
3 - Use a dinner plate for lunch and a salad plate for dinner with same ratio as discussed in #1.
4 - Another trick - split your biggest meal into two and eat each half 2 hrs apart to keep insulin stable which will help burn more fat and keep metabolism going.

Keep in mind that good fats will help you burn fat - I have 1/2 avocado every day in a sandwich (your liver cleanses itself w/good fats) and also satisfy you for longer. Butter is a natural food w/vitamins - as long as you keep the serving small, it will not hinder fat loss. Also keep in mind that no-fat products like yogurt have more additives so it's best to choose one like 2% b/c it hasn't been overly processed.

glenn1978 03-03-2010 05:21 AM

This calculator helped me go with 40/30/30

I used the calculators on this website to help give me an idea on what I should be aiming for.

Carb, Protein, Fat Calorie Calculator

They help to estimate how many calories you should be taking in, and also provide a idea on what would make up your macronutrients for your diet.

I personally use a 40C/30P/30F breakdown and have gotten fantastic results with it.

bobbys89 03-08-2010 06:26 AM

45/25/30

I don't really have a ratio goal, I just try to keep fat around 30%, and get over 120g of protein each day. If you really want a ratio this usually comes out around 45% carbs, 25% protein, 30% fats. There is no reason for this ratio, I just eat clean and this is how it ends up.

rockymtnsavvy 03-11-2010 03:05 AM

40/30/30

I have found the fat calories increasing when I have tried to increase my protein intake as well. Nice to know others have seen this issue. I have resorted to eating alot of fish until I come up with more good protein sources that have little to no fat. I am targeting the same 40/30/30 balance. I just don't get as hungry when I keep my carbs to 40%...sounds odd but it is true.

The best discussion I have found on nutrient balance, and how we are all different, is included in Jillian Michaels' books, "Winning By Losing" and "Making the Cut" (written for those trying to get rid of the last 10-20 lbs). She calls it oxidation. I am sure you could find her books at the library for a quick read of that topic.

Michael Thurmond's "6 Week Body Makeover" seems to be based on the same thing, although his material doesn't explain it as well--just uses it to "customize" your eating plan...and the approach works (in my experience). The South Beach is based on balancing nutrients also, only it targets a specific balance, instead of discussing the different approaches. It works well for those whose bodies like that specific balance of nutrients.

Seems this nutrient balance thing is where we all vary, and could easily be the reason some plans work for us and others don't.

mcestnik 03-11-2010 02:58 PM

(Paleo-like) 20-30/50-60/20-30

The first of this year my husband and I started eating more Paleo-like (caveman is the best way to describe it I guess). As i track what I've eaten I'm noticing my average protein intake is 50-60% of my calories with fat and carbs being 20-30% each. I try to keep carbs between 75 and 100 grams and coming from milk, fruits and vegetables. My husband has lost 30 lbs doing so and I have lost 15. I have a lot of energy and eating so much protein keeps me pretty full. We don't eat peanut butter, I don't think peanuts aren't that great. I make my own butter with almonds, pecans or hazelnuts and limit myself to a TBSP serving when I eat it. Chicken, Turkey and Salmon are my staple foods. Every now and then I'll eat some protein powder or muscle milk. It's really sweet so I have it more as a desert.

rockymtnsavvy 03-11-2010 06:00 PM

50/25/25 or 50/30/20

Originally Posted by cjohnson728 (Post 69276)
I think this is something that is very individualized and you have to find what works for you, like rockymountainsavvy stated. It may take some trial and error.

Most days I personally have about 50-25-25 or 50-30-20 (carb-protein-fat). Some days (maybe a quarter to a third of the time) I am 60-20-20. I think must metabolize carbs very well; if I go below 50%, I am hungry and cranky. I have read all the articles on how carbs convert to sugar and are therefore "evil", but I have lost weight steadily and had bloodwork done last month with triglycerides at 43 (supposed to be below 150), so I don't think this ratio is hurting or hindering me, unless there is some aspect I'm not aware of. I try to make sure they are whole grains and fruits.

I really don't have a taste for high fat foods so some days I have to think about how to get my good fats up there (usually nuts or Larabars). I have been working on weight training so I am trying to be more conscious of the protein lately.

You can find anything on the internet or in a book or journal to support any position, but at the end of the day, you have to do what works for you and your body, or you won't stick it out.

Cassie - I agree with your observations. It is true that you can find all sorts of support for any nutritional approach or "diet" plan, and most will work for some part of the population, but not for others. If a plan worked for everyone, there wouldn't be so many legitimate options (ignoring the more bizarre claims).

We are all different, and trying to assume I would have the same success as someone else on a particular plan can be the very thing that could keep me fat...because it can strip my self confidence and undermine any efforts that I make to become more healthy. If my body reacts differently than someone else, that could mean that I REALLY AM much more hungry, and my biochemistry is making things harder, not just my lack of willpower or inability to follow directions. That's where this site is so valuable, with the food journal, mood indicators, weight loss graphs, activity logs, and general journal, all working together to draw attention to exactly what was happening when we see periods of success or challenge. I am glad I found Fit Day, as it is sooooo much easier than what I was tracking on my own.

A person really needs to pay close attention to their own body when making these decisions. Even very good doctors may not have the best answer for your biochemistry, without the partnership WITH you, to find out what does work. When I ate the way one heart doctor insisted that I eat (special K for breakfast, spaghetti with meatless fat free sauce, no eggs, etc), I put on 30 lbs in 4 months, was emotionally unstable, and my skin looked bad. When I went back to my preferred food items, the weight began to come off again, and I just felt better. We found I don't react well to processed carbohydrates at all. I am much better if I only eat unprocessed carbs in natural form, like steel cut oats, not cherrios. I must eat whole grains themselves in original form, not things made from whole grains (no bread or pasta)...and whole fruits and vegetables, not juices or other processed items.

Small things can make a big difference. I discovered that I lost weight more easily after I switched vitamins...apparently there was something critical to my own biochemistry that I was not getting before.

When I read someone else's experience, it gives me other variables to try in fine tuning my own approach. I really appreciate reading all your experiences and opinions. You are all helping me a lot. THANKS!

Built 03-11-2010 09:22 PM

40/40/20

This is always such a loaded question! I agree with a lot of you--there really is no one size fits all. In my case, my best physical results have come from eating around 1500-1600 calories, aiming for 40/40/20 (carb, protein, fat). I lift weights regularly so that's why I try to keep the protein on the high side. Now...can I comfortably keep that up long term? No. And I honestly don't believe it is healthy for me to stay at such a low energy intake and high protein intake beyond 2 or 3 months.

Maintenance mode for me should be around 1800-2100 calories, 40/30/30.

I have not met anyone yet who has maintained their goal weight long term without regular cardio and strength training.

We have begun a weight loss "challenge" at our gym and have a dietician helping our group. What I like about her philosophy is she stresses individual differences between people. But there are some universal "don'ts" or use sparingly: saturated fat, sugar laden foods, and processed foods. The universal "do's": lots of veggies and fruits and moderate whole grains. Nothing new there.

FitDay is such a wonderful tool to use. Any time I am logging energy intake, I consider it a success (even if I make a mistake with my nutrition). Awareness is the secret. It's hard to not make progress if I am daily entering my food choices.

Good luck in finding what works best for you!

rpmcduff 04-08-2010 03:48 AM

35/25/40

There is no magic ratio that will make you lose weight. But there are some factors that the ratio reflects that will. Higher protein intake will help you maintain muscle while dieting. This is important because you want to lose stored fat not muscle. A certain amount of fat is needed for your body to operated efficiently. In addition fat is easier for your body to use as energy than to store as fat, and it provides a feeling of fullness when consumed. If you never fell full you will probably cheat on your diet. Carbohydrates are also needed to supply the energy your body needs. However simple carbohydrates like refined flour and refined sugar are actually easier for your body to store as fat deposits than to convert to energy. Since most of use here are trying to lose the fat these should be the foods that are consumed at a minimum.

I have been tracking my diet since January 2010 and my Carbs/Protein/Fats ratio is 35/25/40. However my caloric deficit is in the 500-600 range daily. I have lost 18 pounds since I started tracking. My Fat sources are all good, Olive Oil, nuts, eggs, and whole milk. The whole milk is one reason my fat ratio is higher than some others. I have it almost daily for breakfast and I believe it helps me to feel fuller so I can avoid those pesky (and high in simple carbs) doughnuts that always seem to show up at work. After having milk with breakfast I drink only water and coffee the rest of the day. My carbs are mostly from fruits and vegetables or complex carbs like whole grain bread. (Although I will have a pasta dish once a week.) Protein is from Protein bars, Whey shakes, eggs, nuts and meat. Keeping your calories in the 500-600 deficit daily will allow you to lose 1-1/2 to 2 pounds a week.

airbabygurl 04-08-2010 05:47 AM

60/15/25

From what my 6 dietitians and nutritionists have said the best thing to do is when you input your food into the FitDay tracker-you get a pie chart.

They say the pie chart should be 60% carbs, 15% protein, and 25% fat.

I've been doing it since March 2 and have lost 10 pounds.... hope this helps!

almeeker 04-13-2010 03:36 AM

50/30/20 or 40/35/25

I'm not a nutritionist at all, but I also am trying to lose 124 pounds. So far I'm down 64 pounds, so a little better than 1/2 way. I started off not paying any attention to the ratio, I was just watching my calories. Then one day I ate waaayyy more than I was allowing myself and yet I weighed less the next day. This of course was cause for some further investigation of those calories.

So I did a little studying of what I had eaten and realized that I lost more weight on the days when my carbs were less than 50%, proteins around 30% and fats around 20%. So then I started playing with that and found that if I kept the carbs around 40%, proteins at 35% and fats at 25%, my weight loss is even better. Provided I keep the calorie burn higher than my intake I'm almost guaranteed a tiny bit of weight loss everyday.

Everyone is a little different, so give yourself a little time to get it figured out for your own body.

tandoorichicken 04-13-2010 03:50 AM

20-30/20-30/50

Ultimately, you'll have to tweak ratios to fit your own body chemistry (no two people are the same, unfortunately), but I have had the best luck on around 20-30% carb, 20-30% protein, 50% fat. Might sound counterintuitive, but I try to minimize carbs instead of fat. Reasoning is that at least for me, eating fat serves as kind of a fuse to light up all the fat that's sitting around my body. Carbs just interfere with that process.

The reason for the variation above is that it's hard to peg down exact ratios without getting monotonous with food choices.

Good luck!

-Nik

cjohnson728 04-13-2010 03:53 AM

55/25-30/15-20

I can add to that, attesting to the differences!

I experimented with different ways and feel best on 55% carbs, 25-30% protein, and 15-20% fat. I feel best with that and it's also been successful to getting me to my goal. Your body is so individualized that it will take some trial and error.

The FitDay logs will help keep track of the proportions on any given day; you might want to jot down how you feel physically and try to match it up to see if there are any patterns.

RunbikeSki 04-28-2010 04:13 AM

Question about how many carbs

Originally Posted by amylee32 (Post 69261)
:confused:How many carbs a day are you guys eating? I am SO confused! I thought I had it all figured out, but now I am reading articles that say conflicting amounts. Some articles say absolutely no more than 20-60 a day, some say no more than 100 a day, some say eat as many as you want as long as it is "good carbs". Typically, I eat about 120. I do not eat white bread or rice, don't eat pastries, chocolate, cake, etc. My carbs come mainly from fruit, veggies, and yogurt. (I read an article saying that if you eat 3 yogurts a day, it helps with belly fat. I also eat it for the calcium, which I lack).

So..how many carbs a day do you guys eat? How many calories?

Hi Amy,
Your experience is pretty common and way too annoying. All these articles that claim to have the magic keys to success. First, any diet or food combination that claims to melt fat with no effort on your part is to be viewed with skepticism. Secondly any diet that claims that a single food item (either eaten or not eaten) will be the key to success is also bogus.

As to carbohydrates - they are essential for your body along with protein and fats. As we all know the bottom line is burn more calories than you consume and you will lose weight.

Some people have success with very low carbohydrate diets that run for a few weeks. These would prescribe 20 to 50 grams of carbohydrates. Starving your body of carbs does make your body use fats and protein for energy. However, many folks end up losing more muscle (protein) than fat. Plus eating no breads, crackers, pasta, (regardless of whole grain content), cereals, peas, corn, potatoes, pineapple, among others, is too difficult to maintain for very long for many people.

The next approach is to keep a balance of carb-protein-fat percent. Somewhere around 40 to 50% of your calories consumed as carbohydrates is a pretty normal presciption. This would mean if you are on a 1200 calorie diet you would eat somewhere around 120 grams of carbohydrates. Since "carbohydrates" include both simple sugars (the sweet tastes) and complex carbohydrates (as in grains and flours) you want to lean toward getting carbs from fruits, veggies, and whole grains rather than cake, candy and cookies.

So really it comes down to the quality of carbohydrates. 100 to 150 grams of whole grains, vegetables, and fruits is a great choice. 100 grams of cookies, candy, and Little Debbie snack cakes isn't such a good choice.

Then, make sure that you eat the same high quality foods in the protein and fats catagories. Lean meats and dairy, and oils high in unsaturated fats.

And never stop looking for diet information and reading the latest information - just beware that not everything you read is true - a little critical thinking can go a long way.

Pam

cjohnson728 04-28-2010 08:34 AM

Listen to your body, not your brain

Originally Posted by amylee32 (Post 69261)
:confused:How many carbs a day are you guys eating? I am SO confused! I thought I had it all figured out, but now I am reading articles that say conflicting amounts. Some articles say absolutely no more than 20-60 a day, some say no more than 100 a day, some say eat as many as you want as long as it is "good carbs". Typically, I eat about 120. I do not eat white bread or rice, don't eat pastries, chocolate, cake, etc. My carbs come mainly from fruit, veggies, and yogurt. (I read an article saying that if you eat 3 yogurts a day, it helps with belly fat. I also eat it for the calcium, which I lack).

So..how many carbs a day do you guys eat? How many calories?

This question is a little like asking what are the right hours to sleep. As others have said, it depends on what works for your body. I do best at about 50-30-20 (carb-protein-fat). I went through the experimental phase also and it's my belief that you really can tell when you hit on what works, and what doesn't. But it's important to listen to your body, not your brain, which is going to tell you that you need cupcakes. ;)

The only caveat would be if you have any medical conditions and need to reduce carbs or fat in order to improve triglycerides, cholesterol, etc. In that case, ask your doc.

rpmcduff 06-17-2010 05:54 AM

WEIGHT GAIN GOAL: Ratio of Carbs, Protein, and Fat

Originally Posted by Creaton (Post 13659)
Edit: I am not trying to lose but to gain weight! Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section.

Hi,

– Based on "The Skinny on Fats" by Enig & Fallon I now know that the recommended number of polyunsaturated fat in percent of the calories consumed (through the fat) should not be more than 4%. It seems like most people are above that (I had 9% yesterday).
– The intake of saturated fat should be less than 7% (Source: WHO, vide Wikipedia) (I had 10% yesterday).
– The majority should come from monounsaturated fat, which is relatively healthy.

Further, I came across the ratio of 50%-30%-20% for carbs, protein, and fat. This ratio is for people who lift weights frequently (in my case 3-4 times a week). If I calculate the daily intake of protein needed for me, personally, based on my weight, why is that ratio important at all? Should I use it as an approximate guide and no more?

Whereas I live quite healthily, I still consume too much (unhealthy) fat. This is mainly due to weight lifting; I'm trying to build up muscles and eat a lot. I always stayed away from protein shakes but I am now reconsidering this and asking for your advice.

Protein shakes would allow me to decrease the fat consumed (e.g. I wouldn't eat as much cheese, which contains a lot of saturated fat) and keep up the high level of protein for the muscles.

But caloriecount shows me that these shakes contain a lot of cholesterol, which seems contra-productive. Is it "bad" cholesterol?

To sum it up:
1) What do you make of that ratio?
2) Do protein shakes make sense in my case?

Many thanks in advance.

The ratio suggested is just a guide. Everyone is unique and while this works for many you may need to experiment to find what works best for you. If you are trying to gain muscle then the number of grams of protein consumed may be the most important number in your macro-nutrient counts. You may want to plan for your protein goal and let the carbs and fat fall where they may. (Of course sticking to your caloric goals.) Bodybuilding forums usually recommend 1.0g to 1.5g of protein per pound of LEAN body weight. (See Bodybuilding.com for more info.)

Protein is the only macro-nutrient that can build muscle. Carbs and fat are great as fuel for muscles but they lack the building blocks for muscle building. That is why protein should be your main concern when building muscle. Since you will be in a caloric surplus while bulking (and I assume you want to minimize your fat gains) you will want to keep your simple carbohydrate intake low (as Tandoorichiken does). This is because it is easier for your body to convert simple carbs into fat stores than to convert fat into fat stores.

Tandoorichicken makes a great point about leucine promoting protein synthesis. You need to be able to get all the protein you consume absorbed into your muscles.

FAT: As long as you are burning it as fuel and not storing it the type does'nt matter much, in my opinion. I would worry more about this after you are done bulking up and start cutting fat stores.

CHOLESTEROL: Unless you have high cholesterol already this too does'nt matter. A little known fact is that no study has ever linked eating high cholesterol foods with high cholesterol levels in your body. In fact I have seen reports that showed no correlation between intake and blood level measurements for cholesterol.

PROTEIN SHAKES: Protein shakes are a efficient way to increase your protein intake with a minimum of calories. I don't think you can maximize your muscle gains while minimizing your fat gains without them.

rpmcduff 06-28-2010 06:12 PM

What kinds of foods to make up the macronutrient ratios?

What foods should you eat daily?

You need a variety of food to provide fat, carbohydrates and protein.

Again contrary to popular opinion fat is not bad for you. Fat does contain 9 calories per gram compared to 4 calories per gram for carbs and protein. So a small amount can add calories quickly. Fat is needed for essential bodily functions and without it you will have health problems. A minimum of 20% of your calories should come from fat. Fat has also been shown to have the ability to satiate hunger which is always important when dieting.

Good sources of healthy fats(mono- and polyunsaturated):

Nuts (I like unroasted almonds, natural peanut butter, walnuts)
Olive oil (I use extra virgin almost exclusively)

Carbohydrates come in two varieties complex (also called good carb) and simple (also called bad carbs). Simple carbs are not necessarily bad for you. The problem with simple carbs is that they are digested quickly. The good thing about simple carbs is they are digested quickly. Think of sugar. It is great for a quick short term energy boost and when your glycogen levels (the energy source for your muscles) are low, like after a workout, simple carbs are a great way to replenish your glycogen supply. But if your glycogen levels are full because you have been sitting in front of your computer, the carbs get stored as fat. Complex carbs take longer to digest so they provide a longer lasting energy source. Because they take longer to digest your body has a chance to burn off some of your glycogen supply before it tries to store the complex carbs as glycogen or fat. You should limit your simple carbs to the morning (after you haven't eaten for 6-8 hours and your glycogen supplies are low) or after a workout when your glycogen need refilled.

Complex carbs:

Vegetables
Fruit
Oatmeal
Whole Wheat/Whole Grain bread
Sweet potatoes

Simple Carbs:
Sugar
white flour (including white breads)
Fruit Juice
Soda
Alcohol (including hard liquor, wine and beer)

Protein is the only nutrient that has the chemical building blocks to repair and build muscle. Protein is very important when dieting. Weight loss from diet without exercise will be 50% from burning fat stores and 50% from catabolizing muscle. Losing muscle is a bad thing as muscle drives your metabolism when you have less your body burns less calories.

Protein sources:

Meat (Beef, turkey, tuna, fish, chicken, pork)
Beans (lentils, navy beans, pinto beans, soy beans,etc.)
Eggs
Dairy (milk, cottage cheese, yogurt)

Water (Not really a food, but essential just the same)

You should strive to get a minimum of 20% of your calories from fat, 30% from protein and the rest from carbohydrate (limiting simple carbs).

Michellebelle_05 07-12-2010 09:39 AM

50/30/20

I do 50-30-20, but that's just because I know that its carbs that give you energy. Though I've also seen people who say that its the healthy fats that keep you full longer. I think the most important thing is that you keep your calories healthy ones, exercise consistently, and make sure calorie deficit is great enough to reach your weekly weight loss goal.

DecemberBlue 07-14-2010 12:55 PM

Food Pyramid Recommendation: 55-60/20-25/15-20

Despite the different things out there, I follow the food pyramid recommendation 55-60% carbs, 20-25% protein, 15-20% fat...this is because you utilize carbs a lot more than you would think.

For me, I can't do Atkins or any of those low carb diets...I mean my brain shuts off and I walk around like a zombie...so that's one of things I need carbs for to energize my brain, but also because I'm fairly active I need carbs for energy, when I don't take in adequate carb to support my activity I'm sluggish and don't have enough energy to perform my routine. For example, the other day we had a 16 mile hike and I didn't plan well (didn't take adequate amounts of food)...I had one item all carbs..not complex, that help me refuel, but that was like 2.5 hours into the 5 hours and by the end I was dragging.

tandoorichicken 07-21-2010 08:35 AM

Try different percentages, see how your body responds

Originally Posted by mkgbts (Post 72076)
Thank you both!

How many grams of carbs/protein/fat should I be getting a day?
I will aim for 1500 calories on work out days and 1300 on off days - but I want to make sure I am getting the correct percentages. Thanks!

Different ratios work for different people. What I tell people is figure out a menu for each ratio type (carb-protein-fat 40-40-20, 50-30-20, 20-30-50, or whatever else you might want to try), then take 2 weeks for each ratio to see how your body responds. Pay attention to things like bloat, GI regularity, sleep quality, productivity, and mood in addition to scale weight. You'll know when you've got a winner.

In general, on workout days you'll want to get more protein and eat the bulk of your carbs after you've done your workout. This will make sure that your body uses these resources to recover from the workout rather than to just burn at your base rate and store the rest.

4sdowns 08-07-2010 08:55 AM

Check out this calculator

Just for fun, try this online metabolic type test to see what they recommend for ratios.

Metabolic Typing: Self Test from Natural Health Yellow Pages

aarany 08-13-2010 07:52 AM

Eating "Clean" within your macronutrients

OK, so this isn't a tip from a FitDay member. But it was posted by a FitDay member and is excellent advice. If anyone objects, I'll consider removing this post, but then again I probably won't. :p

:)

Clean Eating - By the Rock

Caloric Requirements
Before we talk about “clean eating”, let’s discuss caloric requirement.
One way to calculate your caloric requirement is with the Harris-Benedict Formula:
I use the following formula(for males):

66 + (6.3 x body weight in lbs.) + (12.9 x height in inches) - (6.8 x age in years)

This gives you your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR)
Now that you know your BMR, multiply your BMR by your activity multiplier from below:

Activity Multiplier
Sedentary = BMR X 1.2 (little or no exercise, desk job)
Lightly active = BMR X 1.375 (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk)
Mod. active = BMR X 1.55 (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk)
Very active = BMR X 1.725 (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk)
Extr. active = BMR X 1.9 (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job

Your BMR X Activity Level = Calories Needed for maintenance : what you need to sustain your body at status quo. If you want to lose weight, subtract 500 calories a day to lose 1 pound per week. Subtract 1000 to lose 2 pounds per week. It is not recommended to go below a 1000 calorie deficit. It is also not recommended to go below 2000 calories a day if you are trying to maintain / build muscle mass. I recommend you start out a fat loss program at a 500 calorie deficit, try that for a couple of weeks, then, if you aren’t getting the results you want, cut 250 off, try that for a couple of weeks, and repeat until you find the level that works for your body. After a few months, change it; your body will become accustomed to a caloric level and needs it to be altered once in a while.

To set up your macronutrient ratios:
Protein is 4 calories per gram.
Carbohydrates are 4 calories per gram.
Fat is 9 calories per gram.
Alcohol is 7 calories per gram.

First, set your protein requirement. A good protein requirement for most people is 0.9 grams per pound of body weight. After getting your protein intake in grams by this formula, multiply it by 4 to get your daily protein requirement in calories.

Subtract that number from the daily calorie target you’ve calculated.
The remaining number divide by two to get your carb calories and fat calories. Divide that by 4 and 9 respectively to get grams per day.

You can play with the ratios if you want. Many people losing weight go for 40% protein, 30% carbs, and 30% fat. Some go for 33 / 33 / 33. You can experiment to find what works for you.

Eating clean

“Eating clean” means, basically, eating the **right kinds** of proteins, carbohydrates, and fats.

Carbohydrates: Carbohydrates are an important energy source for your body and your brain. Some are better than others. The Glycemic Index describes how quickly your body metabolizes foods into sugars. High G.I. foods turn into sugars quickly, causing an insulin spike. Low GI foods metabolize slowly. Try to keep your carbs lower than 75 GI. You can find the GI ratings here: Diabetes - Diabetes Management - Signs of Diabetes - Symptoms of Diabetes, or The Glycemic Index, or various other sources.

Examples of Low GI Carbs:
-Vegetables, Mixed Beans, Oatmeal, Bran, Whole Grain Breads, Whole Grains, Barley, Brown Rice, Low GI Fruits
-Lowfat Milk, Lowfat Yogurt (note: while these dairy products have a low GI, they have a high Insulin Index (the reaction your body produces to the metabolizing of these products), so use in moderation).
-White Rice (note: while having a higher GI, these have a low Insulin Index, so again, use in moderation)

High GI Carbs to Avoid:
-White Bread (includes “wheat bread” – must say “whole wheat” or “whole grain”) this means bagels, tortillas, pitas, and all other forms of bread.
-Potatoes (the worst – very high GI) (sweet potatoes are OK)
-High GI fruits (watermelon, dates, raisins, ) and fruit juice – eat raw fruits instead (one glass of orange juice has over three oranges in it, without the benefits of the fiber in the raw orange.
-Sugar and processed food with sugar or its many forms (high fructose corn syrup, cane sugar, molasses, etc)
Pastas (use in moderation, and never with saturated fats, e.g. fettucine alfredo)

Most breakfast cereals (stick to whole grain / bran cereals if you must eat cereals)

Note: There is a whole other subject, called “glycemic loads”, describing the value of the entire item you are eating, that can be taken into consideration, but it is simply too extensive and undeveloped to go into at this time. Look into it yourself at David Mendosa: A Writer About Diabetes (now Diabetes - Diabetes Management - Signs of Diabetes - Symptoms of Diabetes) if you’re interested.

Proteins: Eat lean proteins, low in saturated fats.
Examples of Good Protein Sources:
-Lean Beef (90% lean ground beef, lean steak)
-Chicken (particularly white meat)
-Turkey (particularly white meat)
-Lean pork (tenderloin, lean ham)
-Lowfat dairy products, in moderation
-Cottage cheese (highly recommended form of casein protein)
-Whey protein
-Fish, particularly tuna, salmon, and cod
-Eggs, particularly egg whites (yolks in moderation)
-Soy and soy products, while very good sources of protein, have also been shown in some studies to have potential for causing high estrogen levels and sexual dysfunction. I suggest using these in moderation until testing is completed and a conclusion has been reached. Caveat Emptor.

Proteins to avoid:
-Fatty meats (non-extra lean ground beef, fatty pork (bacon, ribs, etc)
-Fatty dairy (whole milk, most cheese, ice cream)

Fats: Fats, which have been vilified, are an essential ingredient in our diet. Poly and monounsaturated fats must be included in your daily plan. A small amount of saturated fats are also needed. Minimize saturated fats, maximize monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats. Try to get good Essential Fatty Acids – Omega 3 and Omega 6’s. No more than 1/3 of your fat calories should be saturated fats (if you are on a 40/30/30 plan, 10% of your calories may come from sat fats).

Examples of good fats
:
-Fish and fish oils – polyunsaturated, best source of Omega 3’s – cold water fish – tuna, salmon, cod
-Flaxseed oil – some Omega 3, good Omega 6
-Olive Oil - monounsaturated fat
-Avocados – monounsaturated fat
-Nuts – mono, poly, and omega 6s – best are walnuts and almonds

Bad fats
:
-Saturated fats – from animal products (fatty beef, pork, milk, etc)
-Hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated fats (trans fatty acids) – Wicked Bad Stuff. (margarine and Crisco are trans fatty acids)

Most vegetable oil and corn oil – use Canola oil if you must use oil, and use in moderation – try not to cook in oil if you can avoid it. If you cook with oil, use an oil with the appropriate smoke point.

Water
:
Water is a compound we can’t do without for more than only a few days. The human body is about 60 to 75 percent water, and the brain is said to be about 85 percent water. Even bones are about 20 percent water. The body needs water. Nothing substitutes for water; coffee, tea, alcohol, are not the same as water. Drink at least 10 glasses of water a day. Note: The more caffeine you drink, the more water you must drink. Caffeine is a diuretic and flushes water out of your system.

Vitamins and Minerals
:
Vitamins and Minerals play a vital role in maintaining the proper biological functioning of everything from muscles to memory. Nutritionists will tell you that they are unnecessary if we consume a properly balanced diet, but few of us consume a “properly balanced diet”. It is highly recommended to consume a good quality multivitamin/mineral supplement daily. It is very difficult to obtain protective levels of some nutrients solely from diet.

Special notes:
1) Avoid mixing high GI carbs with fats
2) Avoid all processed / prepackaged foods
3) Read labels! Be on the lookout for bad stuff!
4) Eat your veggies!
5) Do not eat too little. Your metabolism will slow to a crawl and you will stop burning fat.
6) Do not eat too much. You will store excess as fat.
7) Alcohol, if required, must be kept to a minimum. When you drink alcohol, your body uses the alcohol as an energy source instead of burning your fat stores.

“Clean Eating”:
1) Keep your caloric intake around your computed requirement – not too low, not too high
2) Keep your macronutrient ratios per your computed requirement, say within 10% - track them on FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal if possible
3) Eat low GI carbs, lean proteins, mono & polyunsaturated fats
4) Eat your veggies! Eat your veggies! Eat your veggies!

DecemberBlue 08-29-2010 11:56 AM

No special diet? Then balance-->> 55-60/20-25/15-20

If you're not on any special diet then the answer is a balance. I follow the USDA Food Pyramid of 55-60 carbs, 20-25% protein, 15-20% fats ...I'm interested in seeing what others say is working for them.

zinal 08-29-2010 12:19 PM

Thyroid removed: 20/40/40

I have very low metabolism (had thyroid removed). My doctor has put me on a high protein diet. So I try hard for a 20% carbs/40% protein/ 40% fats.

I seem to get more fat though. I have lost 15lbs in two months. I also work out 3-4 times a week. Hope this helps.

davej323 08-29-2010 12:40 PM

Low carb 5/30/65

Now I am really going to throw a wrench in your question. I aim for 5% carbohydrate, 30% protein, 65% fat.

You probably won't get a straight answer for you to follow unless you post this question under the specific diet you are trying to stick to!

JenBCZ 09-01-2010 10:09 AM

An equation for Macronutrients I found on the O2 forum

Hope this helps :)

For FAT LOSS:
Total Daily Calories = Bodyweight or Lean body mass x 12

• This may need to be dropped to x11 or x10 if no progress after a few weeks
• Obese people can use LBM (lean body mass) instead of BW (body weight). If you want to figure out your LBM, take a look at your BMI. BMI is basically the % of your weight that is fat. Figure out how many pounds that is and subtract it from your BW.
• For a more accurate result, get a fat calliper test, offered at almost any gym.

Macronutrients for a day:
• Protein = 1g per lb LBM/day (4 calories/ gram)

• Protein is important while dieting, especially if you are exercising. You want to maintain your muscle while loosing the fat. If you don’t get enough protein your body will take what it needs from your muscle, reducing your lean body mass, which will lower your metabolism, which in turn will make it even harder to loose weight . . .
• Good choices: chicken & turkey breast, lean cuts of beef, Extra lean ground beef & turkey, tuna, salmon, prawns, egg whites . . . protein bars & powder (but they are expensive)
• Fat = .4-.5g per lb LBM/day (9 calories/ gram)
• yes, you read that right, healthy fats are important for fat loss
• Good choices: fish oil supplements (omega 3), olive oil, natural almonds, avocado . . .
• Carbs = whatever remains to meet your calorie total (4 calories/grams) don’t go much below 100g/day because your brain runs exclusively on carbs, if you go too low you'll get fuzzy, headaches, grumpy, etc.
• Good choices: Whole grains and fresh fruit & veggies. Read labels, and avoid foods containing weird chemicals, added sugars (high fructose corn syrup), and a lot of sodium. High fibre is good
• Highly processes Carbohydrates, the stuff that comes in boxes or bags that have a million unreadable ingredients on the label, should be avoided for the simple fact that they are unhealthy and if you eat them they tend to create cravings for more of the same. They are addictive and nibbles usually turn into bites which turn into eating the whole stinking bag . . . makes it hard to stay on track.

tandoorichicken 01-13-2011 09:32 AM

When in doubt, experiment with your macros

Originally Posted by splosh313 (Post 73079)
I'm very confused. I have absolutely no idea how to work out my daily limits for carbs, protein, fats, cals etc. Is it entirely down to personal preference? Any suggestions would be most welcome.

You might want to take a couple weeks with each ratio of c/p/f and see how you feel mentally, physically, GI regularity, etc. You have to find a plan that works for you in the long-term, and no cookie-cutter plan is going to necessarily work for you.

Just to illustrate that no two people's plans are alike, my ideal ratio is 45% fat and 20% or more protein, with the remainder carbs. However, I'm also a strength athlete and burn off a lot of fat naturally, so that's why it can work for me. You'll have to find something that fits your lifestyle and activity level without getting in the way of your daily life.

Good luck!

cjohnson728 03-08-2011 10:01 AM

You will find yours with trial and error

Originally Posted by MakerBabe (Post 72126)
So my chart says 50% carbs 33% fat and 17% proteins. Is this ok? I dont eat meat so I get my protein from eggs, peanut butter, nuts and beans.

I think the fat might be a little high? Im totally new to all of this so any advice would be awesome!

Thanks.

Hi MakerBabe,

The percentages in the pie chart are very individualized. Everyone's is different. You will find yours with trial and error.

With that in mind, then, some would say your percentage of fat is high; some would say it's fine. IMO, you would want to make sure that it's more "good fats" than bad...in other words, try to keep your mono- and polyunsaturated fat percentages higher than your saturated fat percentage. But, to be fair, others say that doesn't matter.

Many folks on the site have found that increasing proteins leads to better weight loss; again, that's very individualized. Protein does help build muscle, which in turn stokes your metabolism, so you burn more calories even at rest. Are you able to get protein from dairy sources at all?

I realize that this doesn't really answer your question, but that's because there is no one "right" answer. The best I can offer is: find out what works and do it. Find out what doesn't work and don't do that.

jackdup 08-12-2011 01:30 AM

50-60/20-25/15-25

You need 50 to 60 percent of your calories from carbs.

You can eat two sandwiches, but you just have to eat whole grain bread.
Where I live, I found Diet whole grain bread that is only 50 calories per slice, and no fat.

The carbs that are bad are white bread, white sugar, regular potatoes, white rice.

What happened is that from the popularity of the Atkins diet, everyone including me thought that you were not supposed to eat carbs.

Then I found out the truth, that 50 to 60 percent of your calories should come from carbs, and 20 to 25 percent from protein, and around 15 to 25 per cent should come from fat.

That is how I arrived at FITDAY, because the notebook was tedious to do my tallies constantly.

Eat carb, count carbs, eat the correct amount, and don't go over.

WHOLE GRAINS!

Brown rice, veggies, fruits, oats, anything natural is extremely good for you.

mecompco 09-01-2011 12:06 PM

40/30/30

I shoot for 40/30/30 on average. This is the mix around which "The Zone" diet is based, but it expects you to keep this mix for every single meal--WAY too much work and hassle for me! Of course, everybody is different and a different calorie mix might work better for you.

Regards,
Michael

k00lBr33ze 09-02-2011 12:18 PM

46/27/27

Personally, my protein intake is 1g protein/body weight (so currently, my intake ~130 - 140g since I weigh in @ 140lbs). This is the rule I use & has been helpful with my weight loss.

I try to keep my fat intake < 30%. Everything else is carbs but I do what I can to stay away from simple/processed carbs.

As of the last 2 months, my ratio has been 46% carbs, 27% protein, 27% fat. Protein intake got lowered cause I deliberately didn't work out all month to recover from shoulder pain. I will be upping protein intake once I go back to working out.

rpmcduff 09-09-2011 04:19 AM

40/30/30

A common goal for carb/protein/fat is 40/30/30. Personally I find that my weight loss is much easier when I keep my protein above 30%. There are lots of old threads in the forums that discuss this. Another recommendation says .75 to 1 gram of protein per pound of LEAN body weight. I try to get my fat from whole foods like eggs, meat, nuts and olive oil and my carbs from complex carbs like oatmeal, whole grains and vegetables. So while I try to keep my protein at 30% I really don't worry about how my carbs and fats fill out the rest of my calorie intake.

While the 40/30/30 ratio is a good starting point it doesn't mean it is the best for you. Your body may react better to a slightly different ratio. My advice is to keep your protein up, maintain your calorie deficit and most of the rest will take care of itself.

Beside the success stories here on Fitday I find the Bodybuilding.com site to have some very inspirational stories. Especially the Transformation of the week archives (complete with pictures) there.

Welcome and good luck on your journey.

redninja2 10-10-2011 07:27 AM

45/30/25

I go for 45% Carbs, 30% Protein and 25% Fats.

I take slightly more protein than average as I workout a lot and am aiming to build more muscle. 50% is definitely too much though as it will over work the kidneys as someone else has said.

Also the 25% fats also includes the good fats ie. mono and poly. Keep saturated fats to below 10%.

VitoVino 02-21-2012 04:14 AM

FitDay's recommendation: 45-60/20-25/15-20

From FitDay Articles: Proteins, Fats, and Carbs: How to Balance Your Diet / Nutrition

Proteins, Fats, and Carbs: How to Balance Your Diet

Dieting can be confusing. High-protein diets claim to help you lose weight quickly, but can lead to high cholesterol and increase your risk for heart disease. High-carbohydrate diets may be low in fat, but can lead to high triglyceride levels, which cause hardening of the arteries (atherosclerosis). To add to the confusion, a new study published by the Journal of the American Medical Association concluded that people who eat very little protein and too much carbohydrate and fat will have more body fat and less muscle mass. So what does this all mean for you? Which diet is best?

Diet and Exercise

First, most of these diets don't make any specific recommendations on physical activity. Exercise is an extremely important component to weight loss or maintaining weight. Routine exercise helps build muscle mass and gives you more energy. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends 150 minutes (2.5 hours) per week of "moderate-intensity" activities as well as muscle strengthening exercises twice a week. "Moderate-intensity" activities can include brisk walking, jogging, or bike riding. Basically, you just want to sweat and increase your heart rate. Muscle strengthening exercise can include weight lifting, yoga, pushups, or sit-ups.

Load Up on Lean Protein

Once you increase your physical activity, you will need to make sure you consume enough protein to help build and repair muscles. It is recommended that you aim for 20-25% of your daily calories from protein. For a 2,000-calorie diet, this would be about 400-500 calories from protein (100-125 g) per day. Make sure to choose lean protein such as chicken, fish, beans, lentils, nuts, or non-fat milk. By choosing lean protein, you decrease the amount of fat you consume, which typically is the cause of high cholesterol and heart disease.

Choose Healthy Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates are also an important part of a balanced diet. While most diets recommend cutting back on carbohydrates, these foods actually provide you with the energy you need to keep going throughout the day. Aim for 45-60% of your daily calories to come from carbohydrates. For a 2,000-calorie diet, this is between 900-1200 calories (225 - 300g) per day. Choose "healthy" carbohydrates, such as fruit, vegetables, and whole grains. If you consume mainly refined grains (white bread, cookies, crackers, etc), then it may contribute to weight gain. Find carbohydrates that are high in fiber content, as this will keep you feeling fuller longer. Beans and legumes are also a good source of carbohydrates.

Limit Fat

Finally, limit your fat intake to 15-20% of your daily calories. You still need fat, just in small amounts. Choose "healthy" fats (unsaturated fats) that can help keep your cholesterol within normal limits. These can be found in olive oil, canola oil, nuts, avocados, and fish. Try to limit your intake of sweets (junk food), since these fats tend to have more saturated fat which can lead to heart disease and high cholesterol.

In conclusion, all fad diets may work to some extent. However, each has its own possible side effects that could affect your overall health. Try to find a nice balance between all the food groups (fruit, vegetables, protein, carbohydrates, and dairy). Start exercising a little each day, and you will find out how quickly 150 minutes adds up.

Author: Rhea Li

VitoVino 02-21-2012 04:14 AM

Updated! And because...

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/9869/bumpfrog.jpg