FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Weight Loss Tips (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/)
-   -   FitDay's Best of Series: Tips for Weight Loss (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/6378-fitdays-best-series-tips-weight-loss.html)

labonitafarms 01-18-2010 04:27 AM

FitDay's Best of Series: Tips for Weight Loss

MODERATOR'S NOTE:

The following is a collection of the best tips that FitDay members have to offer, taken from many threads over a long period of time. Thank you to all of the contributors!

This thread can be used as a "one stop shopping place" for reference.

If you have any suggestions for other posts to be included, you may always PM one of the Forum Moderators.

kathietaylor 01-18-2010 05:24 AM

Eat more whole foods and less processed foods

Originally Posted by labonitafarms (Post 73164)
:confused:
Hello everyone - I am new to this site so excuse my ignorance if this doesn't come out exactly clear - I have to lose some SERIOUS :eek: weight; however, I am a little confused.

I am counting calories and fat intake. I shop accordingly; however, I have noticed that foods that are low in calories/fat and HIGH in carbs - the foods that are low in carbs are high in calories/fat????? I like to count my calories/fat so I am ok with that, but am I messing up by consuming low calories/fat and high carbs - I feel like I am damned if I do and damned if I don't.

Does anyone know if you are on a 1200 calorie diet what are your daily carbs are suppose to be? Thank for the chat! By the way, my name is Dot and I am a 41 year old female.

Hi Dot,

I find it very challenging to to get my macronutrients right as well carbs/fat/protein! I think a safe range is 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein. Not an easy task!!

I do find that eating more whole foods and less processed food really does help with this. The problem with the processed is if it is low in fat, it is usually high in sodium or sugar! If it is lower in sugar it is higher in fat, or it is full of aspertame or some other chemical sweetener. It is challenging to say the least. Cooking from scratch seems to be the best bet for keeping your fats, sugars and carbs in line.

The only processed foods I actually eat are cereals, breads, yogurt and cheese...everything else is natural. Another killer is the dressings, sauces, butter, margarine, etc! It isn't the food, it is what we PUT ON the food!!

I have discovered that balsamic vinegar is delicious on a number of different veggies and even some fruits. Mixed with a wee bit of olive oil it makes a tasty and healthy dressing.

friendyomi 03-24-2010 07:18 AM

11 Surefire Ways to Lose Weight in 2 Weeks

Moderator's Note: While the date this was put on the internet is one of the earliest sources, it's possible that this information is not original but has been copied without credit given to the author.

Looking for easy ways to lose weight and in 2 weeks? Below are 11 surefire ways you can do now to lose your weight now-

Easy Ways to Lose Weight in 2 Weeks

1. Beware scale obsession - weight should come off slowly - a half pound to one pound a week - as a result of cutting junk calories while fueling your body properly for the next workout
and recovery. Think of your body as a high performance engine - raise the octane of the fuel you use and stop filling when the tank is full.

2. To lose weight in 2 weeks, you have to cut down on the junk foods (not completely), stop eating out and drink less sugary drinks, including the diet kinds.

3. Eat more fresh wholesome foods and whole grain products. It's simply the best and loaded with the essential fiber to keep you satisfied longer. The simple rule is, try to get in 2 serves of fruits and 5 serves of veggies a day.

4. Make it a point each day to include a good habit like drinking one less can of coke or eating one more serve of fruit.

5. Eat 6 healthy mini meals a day to keep your stomach satisfied. The key here is eat in controlled portions and never go for that second serve or a super size meal. Stick to the 1 plate rule to keep your calorie intake at bay.

6. Even 'bad foods' can be good, in 'moderation'. The keys are portion size and cooking method. Juicy, tender cuts of steak are fatty, but are fine to eat if you trim the lard before cooking, or grill it so excess fat can drip away. As for easy guideline on portions, always eat less steak than you would chicken.

7. No matter what you've eaten, take note of how your body feels after a meal, rather than how you think you should feel. If you're still hungry later in the day, treat yourself to a piece of sweet in season fruit rather than a sugar filled snack or dessert. Then go ahead and pat yourself on the back.

8. Food is not the enemy. Food powers your brain and your muscles; without it, you'll lose your energy soon. If you missed a midday meal, eat a piece of fresh fruit or a handful of whole wheat crackers before you head for the gym.

9. How many of us slip chips and chocolate into our trolley for emergencies? It's vital to stop buying junk if you want to stop eating junk! Be strong and avoid purchasing extra snacks. You'll notice that both your grocery bill and snacking habits will start decreasing. If the foods aren't there, you can't eat them!

10. Your favorite exercise - only better - daily walker? Seasoned swimmer? You get kudos for your commitment, but you maybe short changing yourself. As you become more accustomed to your favorite activity, you burn fewer calories. This doesn't mean you have to ditch your go to exercise - just mix it up. As your fitness improves, increase the intensity levels to challenge your body (but train with in your limits). Look at jogging 100 yards followed by another hundred yards of walking, rinse and repeat. It's a great way to jolt the body's metabolism.

Alternatively, look at a combination of interval training and strength training like Turbulence Training to get the maximum output from your body - And when combined with good nutrition, it is one of the easy ways to lose weight with.

Ladies, strength training is good for you too - you will not bulk up and with muscles, you will burn more calories.

11. Use your lunch break wisely - spend half your lunch break walking. Taking a midday walk or a run can boost your energy, and reduce stress. Best yet, it gives you more time after work with family or friends.

01gt4.6 03-28-2010 03:35 AM

Stop with the excuses

First off, a little about me. I'm a 38 year old dad, I gained the typical pound or two a year and it slowly started to add up. Then I went from an active job to a desk job, but didn't change my eating habits and guess what??? I got fat! It wasn't until I quit making excuses and realized that I was the problem, that's right, me... I was the reason why I was fat, that I could make a change. My job changed and I didn't. I finally put my excuses aside and started eating better, took the stairs instead of the elevator, started walking, drank only water... a lot of water. Before I knew it, the weight started to fall off. "How fast?" you may ask, how about my first 20 pounds took all of 42 days! So lets set this straight, it took FAR LESS time to take it off than it did to put it on, once I dropped the excuses.

I'm not going to bore you with statistics, nor do I have the time for them. This is from my heart, not something that I copy and pasted! Being fat will likely decrease your life span and the time you do have alive will not be as enjoyable as it could have been. You'll probably spend more time on your sofa or favorite chair than you will outside enjoying good weather.

So let me ask you this... have you made the commitment to truly change yourself, for YOURSELF or are you making excuses?

People know that for alcoholics & drug addicts to recover, the first step is to admit that there is a problem... not to make excuses. So why do we make so many excuses yet expect to change? Here's are some common excuses that fat people (yes I said the "F" word again) make.

1) "I can't afford to eat healthy." - Can you afford to be unhealthy? Can you afford to have a double bypass? Can you afford to leave your children early?

2) "I can't afford a gym membership." - Get off your ass and walk, it's free! Quit waiting for that parking spot b/c it's closer to the door of Wal Mart, walk dammit!

3) "I don't have the time, I have a family to take care of." - Get off your ass and go play with your kids. Take them to the park and do something with them, don't just sit there. Turn off American Idol or Survivor and go walk.

4) "It's in my genes, I come from a big family." - This may be true, it's in you JEANS b/c you came from a lazy family that had poor eating habits. Now it's your turn to break the cycle for your family!

5) "It's my thyroid..." - Really, did your doctor say this? If so what are you and your doctor doing to correct this? Are you still doing the things that I suggested for #2 & #3?

6) "I'm alone in this, I hate cooking big meals and I don't have anyone to exercise with." - blah, blah, blah. You are responsible for keeping yourself in shape so why avoid exercising b/c you don't have a partner? Do it FOR YOURSELF, even if it is BY YOURSELF! Cook a big healthy meal and package it up for future use. This will also save you time, more time to go for a walk.

7) "I have big bones." - Since when did big bones help add a double chin, or arms that keep waving after you've stopped?

The list of excuses can go on and on. If what I'm saying offends you, then you may be hanging on to your excuse. It's time to wake up people and realize that we are the problem, quit blaming others and making excuses.

Once you get to where you want to be, you'll be glad you did!

Like I said, I was fat. But it didn't take me that long to get where I am today. I feel great and my overall health is much better!

Built 04-20-2010 10:12 PM

Tips that might help

Here's some tips that might help:

- Log everything you eat/drink and visit forum daily if possible.

- Clean out the kitchen of all tempting foods or at least put them in a hard to reach/see place

- Make sure there's plenty of veggies/fruits/proteins in the frig, ready to eat quickly if you're in a rush

- Have a plan for each meal. After a while, it becomes a habit and planning is automatic.

- I like to focus on how the food I eat is helping every cell in my body--kind of gets me out of the deprivation mindset and more into the positive.

- Think of food as fuel for the body instead of feeding emotions.

- Drink lots of water.

- Allow yourself one "free" meal or treat a week to ward off cravings.

- AND forgive yourself if you slip up. It's all about progress and not perfection.

I'm sure other forum members have some great ideas as well. Good luck!

almeeker 04-21-2010 01:26 AM

Start with the what/why/when/with who, where and how of your eating habits

Originally Posted by topazD (Post 8977)
Hi all - I'm newish here. I've been using the site for some time but this is my first post. Can anyone tell me how they climb back on the diet waggon after they fall off? I start off full of good intentions on a Monday but by Thursday, I've given up for the week only to start all over again next Monday. How do I motivate myself to keep it up?

Maybe you should stop thinking about "dieting" and start thinking about making lifestyle changes. Eating is an every day thing, not a "work week" thing, making yourself start over every Monday, just might be setting you up to treat your diet like a job, and apparently it's a "take this job and shove it" situation? We all have those days, believe me.

I started by eating whatever I wanted, but logging my foods and analyzing my habits for 3-4 days. According to one of my best friends (who also happens to be a nutritionist) you can't make a lifestyle change until you know the what/why/when/with who, where and how of your eating habits.

Then I worked on getting rid of my bad habits one at a time. The first week I started exercising every day, not a lot just 15-20 minutes/day. The second week I gave up eating 3 breakfasts, and focused on finding ideas for eating one satisfying healthy breakfast. Breakfast was my worst habit, which I would never have known without the 3 day exercise. Then I worked on finding healthy snacks, figuring out how many calories was right for me, then finding out which combination of carbs/fats/proteins was best for me.

So forth and so on. This week I'm trying to get back in the habit of drinking lots of water because I haven't been really good about that lately.

I also have been doing a wellness program called the 5, 10, 15, 20 Challenge which is a daily thing as well, not a weekly regimen. It's 5 servings of fruits and veggies/daily minimum (I always go over that), 10,000 steps on a pedometer, 15 minutes of strengthening exercise per day (1,500 calories or less if you're overweight) and 20 stands for 2,000 of your 10,000 steps have to be aerobic. That way I have daily goals for health and wellness that have nothing to do with eating rice cakes and lettuce for lunch.

rpmcduff 06-27-2010 06:24 PM

Make smart decisions

Originally Posted by dJDragon7k (Post 71596)
I just turned 21. I am at least 30 - 40 pounds overweight. I frequently feel sick. I have research healthy diets and proper exercise, starting with webmd. I want to lose weight, change my blood chemistry for the better and boost my health so I can live long and healthy.

I currently live with my boyfriend/fiance in his parents house. We just eat whatever is in the house, most of the time is not the healthiest but not the worst food. We also live on a limited budget so we usually end up eating fast food most of the time. Which I know is UNhealthy.

Please, what can I do to eat healthy natural unprocessed organic on a very limited budget?

So you want to move from eating fast food to organic in one step? I suggest you try moving toward eating whole food. Fresh vegetables, and fruit. Chicken, pork, fish, and beef prepared without coatings and without deep frying. Food that you prepare at home. Food that doesn't come out of a cardboard box. Use frozen when things are out of season or it fits your budget better (I usually buy chicken breast frozen because they are more affordable). Cut back on simple carbohydrates, get 30% of your calories from protein, and start exercising along with eating better. Try to maintain a 500-700 calorie deficit. If you can find organic foods that fit your budget buy them, but don't make 'going organic' the excuse that you can't get healthy.

wannabefitgrl 07-31-2010 10:28 AM

Cardio to jump-start your weight loss

Originally Posted by elderwanda (Post 71463)
First of all, I apologize for how long this got.

I've got about 30 pounds to lose, and can't seem to lose any of it.

I'm 5' 2", 43 years old, and every ounce of that extra fat is around my middle. (I'm female)

I decided a while ago that I would focus on losing fat and not muscle. I've always been a fairly weak, nonmuscular person, and when I started logging in my food and seeing that I normally ate about 10 to 20 grams of protein per day, that explained a lot.

So, I made a goal to lose about a pound a week, which Fit Day says I should be able to do if I eat 1630 calories per day. I'm making sure to get at least 100 grams of protein per day, which has been a big change. Three days a week, I'm doing strength training exercises, like push-ups, pull-ups (modified), and squats. I'm working hard, but I assume I'm not burning a huge amount of calories there, simply because I'm not using much weight. (It's a lot for me, because I'm not very strong, but pound-wise, not much at all.)

I don't have an official plan for cardio, but I jog in place here and there when the mood strikes, and try to keep my body moving.

Well, all this has been great. I've found that sticking to 1630 calories is a bit of a challenge, but I'm only going over by a bit. I've been weighing all of my food, and logging every gram. My daily average is 1650.

The problem is, I haven't lost any weight after a month of doing this. As far as I can tell, my measurement haven't gotten smaller. I feel stronger, and I'm sure I must have gained some muscle, but I can't imagine that I've three or four pounds of muscle. It's not like I'm deadlifting 400 pounds at a time.

I'm okay with losing fat slowly, but I don't want to keep with what I'm doing if I'm not losing any fat at all. Half a pound per week is fine. Nothing per week is not fine. My 37 inch waist puts me in the "health risk" category, and I want to get rid of it.

Do I really need to eat less in order to lose fat? I know a lot of you are doing fine on 1200 calories, but I just can't manage that. If I eat less than I'm eating now, then every ounce of energy goes into trying to resist the urge to eat. If 1650 cal/day is what I need to maintain my "health risk" weight, that really sucks!

What else can I do? Oh yes, I'm drinking tons of water. And I don't tend to get premenstrual symptoms, like water gain, so I doubt if that comes into play.

Help!

Evelyn

It sounds like the only thing you're not working hard at is cardio...which may be exactly what you need to lose the fat. Try working more cardio into your days. And keep in mind that cardio doesn't necessarily need to have you huffing and puffing and exhausted. The best exercise to lose weight will make you breath deeply (slightly out of breath), but won't have you gasping for air. To lose weight, the muscles need to be getting enogh oxygen during exercise, otherwise they just burn sugars.

Depending on how fit you are now, walking could be enough to get your heart pumping and get you breathing deeply, especially if you have a hill or two to go up and down. The exercise itself doesn't have to be very intense, as long as you do lots of it; long gentle exercise is the key to fat loss.

Also, if you're aimin for a half a pound to a pound of weight loss a week, you need a calorie deficiet of 250-500 a day, on average, over the course of a week. So the exercise you do needs to be burning more calories than you're taking in. This is where some people find it easier to cut back calories, but if you just up your exercise, you don't need to eat less.

Keep posting with your frustrations and we'll all try to help!

Darlahobson 08-07-2010 06:30 PM

Advice for older dieters

Originally Posted by elderwanda (Post 71463)
First of all, I apologize for how long this got.

I've got about 30 pounds to lose, and can't seem to lose any of it.

I'm 5' 2", 43 years old, and every ounce of that extra fat is around my middle. (I'm female)

I decided a while ago that I would focus on losing fat and not muscle. I've always been a fairly weak, nonmuscular person, and when I started logging in my food and seeing that I normally ate about 10 to 20 grams of protein per day, that explained a lot.

So, I made a goal to lose about a pound a week, which Fit Day says I should be able to do if I eat 1630 calories per day. I'm making sure to get at least 100 grams of protein per day, which has been a big change. Three days a week, I'm doing strength training exercises, like push-ups, pull-ups (modified), and squats. I'm working hard, but I assume I'm not burning a huge amount of calories there, simply because I'm not using much weight. (It's a lot for me, because I'm not very strong, but pound-wise, not much at all.)

I don't have an official plan for cardio, but I jog in place here and there when the mood strikes, and try to keep my body moving.

Well, all this has been great. I've found that sticking to 1630 calories is a bit of a challenge, but I'm only going over by a bit. I've been weighing all of my food, and logging every gram. My daily average is 1650.

The problem is, I haven't lost any weight after a month of doing this. As far as I can tell, my measurement haven't gotten smaller. I feel stronger, and I'm sure I must have gained some muscle, but I can't imagine that I've three or four pounds of muscle. It's not like I'm deadlifting 400 pounds at a time.

I'm okay with losing fat slowly, but I don't want to keep with what I'm doing if I'm not losing any fat at all. Half a pound per week is fine. Nothing per week is not fine. My 37 inch waist puts me in the "health risk" category, and I want to get rid of it.

Do I really need to eat less in order to lose fat? I know a lot of you are doing fine on 1200 calories, but I just can't manage that. If I eat less than I'm eating now, then every ounce of energy goes into trying to resist the urge to eat. If 1650 cal/day is what I need to maintain my "health risk" weight, that really sucks!

What else can I do? Oh yes, I'm drinking tons of water. And I don't tend to get premenstrual symptoms, like water gain, so I doubt if that comes into play.

Help!

Evelyn

I hate to tell you, but at our age range (I'm 45), unless you are very active, you're probably going to have to either really do a LOT of cardio or you're going to have to cut your calories down closer to 1200. 10 years ago, I could lose weight steadily at 1800 cals and moderate exercise. No more. If I target 1200 cals, and stay within 1200-1400 range, I am lucky to creep off a pound a week. Sometimes it's a half a pound, and sometimes I can be perfect and gain weight. It's not fair, but it's just the way it is.

The trick is to really make those calories count! We do not have room for extra's, and planning your menu the day before really helps. You can make "exchanges" if things don't go the way you expect, or if you crave something different. But you have to plan.
Add extra veggies wherever you can, because it helps bulk up your meals helping you feel fuller. And don't make the mistake of eating fat free everything. You need healthy fats at every meal to help you feel satiated. For instance, I have apple slices and old fashioned peanut butter for a snack or string cheese and whole grain crackers. The fiber and fat, with a glass of crystal light or water really helps get me through the afternoon.

If I do at least 45 mins to and hour of cardio 5 days a week, do something active every day, and stay at 1200 to 1400, I can get it off slowly. You can too. Also, don't forget to build muscle with light weights. The more muscle you have, the more calories your body burns - even at rest.

almeeker 08-09-2010 01:07 AM

Appetite Suppression

Originally Posted by linusfuller (Post 70785)
I dont know what it is, but I'll watch what I eat throughout the entire day, get a diet-worthy intake of 1300 calories, then suddently lose control and ruin everything later. What can I do to prevent/help this?

I think this is the reason most diets fail, you work so hard only to crash and burn day after day. Here's some things I've tried that seem to help:

1. Think about your hunger, is it "real" hunger or uncontrollable munchies, taking over? Real hunger builds over time and it can be held off, especially if you know approximately how long it will be until you eat again. Uncontrollable munchies are usually a symptom of a carb crash (and possibly carbaholism), so what you need to do is to avoid crashing by limiting your carb intake per sitting. A lot of people will tell you to limit (or even eliminate) "white" foods like white flour, white rice and white potatoes. We only have whole grain bread and pasta in our house and I try to limit my grain based carbs to 1 serving at breakfast and depending on my calories throughout the day, another serving with dinner. I usually go low-carb and high protein for lunch so I can avoid that after dinner carb crash.

2. Another way to avoid going overboard with the munchies is to pace yourself and eat something that takes time to eat like an orange or grapefruit, or nuts/seeds that have to be unshelled like sunflower seeds, almonds or pistachios. And while you're munching down your snack drink a big swig of water between mouthfuls.

3. Another thing I do when I feel out of control is to tell myself that I can eat whatever I want but I have to start with an apple and go 20 minutes between snacks. Usually I get that full feeling between the 2nd and 3rd snack and the munchies taper off after that. Apples are a great snack BTW and they have a lot of fiber too, which usually helps to make me feel full.

Kathy13118 08-10-2010 03:47 AM

Pace yourself while eating

It's been shown that eating slowly tames appetite.

That is, eat a bite, then stop. Wait, even if it's 30 seconds (which may seem like a long, long time) and then take the next bite. Continue to do that until you have eaten the serving.

The idea is that it takes awhile for the feeling of satiety to register, even at the level of 'a bite,' let alone 'a portion.'

I really, really believe this works. Can I do it? No. Not unless I am eating alone or eating in a group where everyone is talking, including me.

wannabefitgrl 08-12-2010 03:39 AM

Some words about binging & good eating practices

I've taken a long hard look at my 'binging' after reading some nutrition/weight loss books. One in particular I just finished talks about the eating habits of those 'naturally skinny' people. The biggest things I'm starting to see in regards to my eating in comparison to what the book says include:

-If you deny yourself certain foods, you just want them more...hence when I do binge eat, I tend to load up on all those bad foods all at once because I haven't had any of them in so long. If I were to have controlled portions of chips with my salsa (instead of the celery sticks I usually eat with it) or a scoop of ice cream now and then, I wouldn't feel so deprived and binge on it later.

-Eating habits: the book recommends eating without distractions (meaning no TV, don't read a book, certainly don't eat on the run, etc.) so that you can really focus on the food and how it tastes. If you eat while distracted, only half the amount of food eaten actually registers, so you don't feel like you ate enough, hence you want more.

The book also recommends putting your fork down between bites, that even the distraction of getting your next bite ready will take away from the experience of the bite in your mouth. I have actually started putting my fork down and really paying attention to the different flavors and textures (I've been having stir fry for dinner this week, so there are tons of different textures and flavors to really enjoy). It helps a lot to really concentrate on the food, and putting my fork down between bites definitely slows me down. I have yet to be able to eat without the TV, just because I live alone and with dinner taking me longer to eat (due to taking my time on it), it's hard to sit for a half hour in complete silence just thinking about the food in my mouth! But I have to say, these techniques are working to help curb those cravings to just eat and eat and eat.

yauncin 08-13-2010 01:11 AM

What has worked for me

When I originally started putting this post together it was for the thread 'Support group for just men > Post your best Diet Tips' but I got a little carried away and added fitness tips as well. So I just decided to post this here. Now I am not a fitness or diet expert but these are the things I do or I think about as I make my journey around the sun. I hope this helps some my fellow fitdayers and when following any of my advice just keep in mind your mileage may vary (YMMV).
  1. Measure everything you eat.
  2. Log everything you eat.
  3. Try to get all your nutrients from foods.
  4. If you can't manage 3, don't be afraid to take a vitamin supplement.
  5. When dieting you should try your hardest to preserve muscle mass.
  6. If you are concerned about 5, you MUST add resistance training.
  7. If you do 6 and you are a women then don't be afraid of bulking up, the odds are you don't fall into the percentage of women who really bulk. Any added muscle will help in your goal to lose fat.
  8. If you are a beginner to 6 use compound exercises, squats, deadlifts, rows, push-ups, pull/chin ups, etc.
  9. If you do 6 then you should shoot for approximately 1g of protein per 1 lb of lean muscle mass. I tend to do about .8g when I'm cutting i.e. losing fat.
  10. If you do 6 and can't get all your protein from 3, don't be afraid to take a protein supplement.
  11. You don't have to do an hour or an hour and a half of 'regular' cardio -- treadmill, elliptical, etc. -- to get good results, look up HIIT.
  12. Statistically you should fall into the ranges for the BMI but the BMI is not accurate for all people therefore...
  13. Keep body measurements and try to determine your body fat % in order to keep track of your fat loss.
  14. So with 13 in mind the scale is not an accurate measurement of fat loss either but it can give you a reference number. Yeah, yeah, I know some people will tell you to throw it out but I still like to weigh myself... ;)
  15. Approximately 80% of your fitness needs can be achieved through diet.
  16. Keep in mind the quality of the foods you eat.
  17. And if you are really serious keep in mind nutrient timing.
  18. To err is human. So, if you fall off the wagon by eating a forbidden food, eating too much, or missing a work out -- <big friendly letters>DON'T PANIC</big friendly letters>. It's not the end of the world. Just pick yourself back up, brush yourself off, and try, try again.

If I think of anything else I'll edit this post.

aarany 08-13-2010 07:52 AM

Eating "Clean"

Moderator's Note: OK, so this isn't a tip from a FitDay member. But it was posted by a FitDay member and is excellent advice. If anyone objects, I'll consider removing this post, but then again I probably won't. :p

:)

Clean Eating - By the Rock

Caloric Requirements
Before we talk about “clean eating”, let’s discuss caloric requirement.
One way to calculate your caloric requirement is with the Harris-Benedict Formula:
I use the following formula(for males):

66 + (6.3 x body weight in lbs.) + (12.9 x height in inches) - (6.8 x age in years)

This gives you your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR)
Now that you know your BMR, multiply your BMR by your activity multiplier from below:

Activity Multiplier
Sedentary = BMR X 1.2 (little or no exercise, desk job)
Lightly active = BMR X 1.375 (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk)
Mod. active = BMR X 1.55 (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk)
Very active = BMR X 1.725 (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk)
Extr. active = BMR X 1.9 (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job

Your BMR X Activity Level = Calories Needed for maintenance : what you need to sustain your body at status quo. If you want to lose weight, subtract 500 calories a day to lose 1 pound per week. Subtract 1000 to lose 2 pounds per week. It is not recommended to go below a 1000 calorie deficit. It is also not recommended to go below 2000 calories a day if you are trying to maintain / build muscle mass. I recommend you start out a fat loss program at a 500 calorie deficit, try that for a couple of weeks, then, if you aren’t getting the results you want, cut 250 off, try that for a couple of weeks, and repeat until you find the level that works for your body. After a few months, change it; your body will become accustomed to a caloric level and needs it to be altered once in a while.

To set up your macronutrient ratios:
Protein is 4 calories per gram.
Carbohydrates are 4 calories per gram.
Fat is 9 calories per gram.
Alcohol is 7 calories per gram.

First, set your protein requirement. A good protein requirement for most people is 0.9 grams per pound of body weight. After getting your protein intake in grams by this formula, multiply it by 4 to get your daily protein requirement in calories.

Subtract that number from the daily calorie target you’ve calculated.
The remaining number divide by two to get your carb calories and fat calories. Divide that by 4 and 9 respectively to get grams per day.

You can play with the ratios if you want. Many people losing weight go for 40% protein, 30% carbs, and 30% fat. Some go for 33 / 33 / 33. You can experiment to find what works for you.

Eating clean

“Eating clean” means, basically, eating the **right kinds** of proteins, carbohydrates, and fats.

Carbohydrates: Carbohydrates are an important energy source for your body and your brain. Some are better than others. The Glycemic Index describes how quickly your body metabolizes foods into sugars. High G.I. foods turn into sugars quickly, causing an insulin spike. Low GI foods metabolize slowly. Try to keep your carbs lower than 75 GI. You can find the GI ratings here: Diabetes - Diabetes Management - Signs of Diabetes - Symptoms of Diabetes, or The Glycemic Index, or various other sources.

Examples of Low GI Carbs:
-Vegetables, Mixed Beans, Oatmeal, Bran, Whole Grain Breads, Whole Grains, Barley, Brown Rice, Low GI Fruits
-Lowfat Milk, Lowfat Yogurt (note: while these dairy products have a low GI, they have a high Insulin Index (the reaction your body produces to the metabolizing of these products), so use in moderation).
-White Rice (note: while having a higher GI, these have a low Insulin Index, so again, use in moderation)

High GI Carbs to Avoid:
-White Bread (includes “wheat bread” – must say “whole wheat” or “whole grain”) this means bagels, tortillas, pitas, and all other forms of bread.
-Potatoes (the worst – very high GI) (sweet potatoes are OK)
-High GI fruits (watermelon, dates, raisins, ) and fruit juice – eat raw fruits instead (one glass of orange juice has over three oranges in it, without the benefits of the fiber in the raw orange.
-Sugar and processed food with sugar or its many forms (high fructose corn syrup, cane sugar, molasses, etc)
Pastas (use in moderation, and never with saturated fats, e.g. fettucine alfredo)

Most breakfast cereals (stick to whole grain / bran cereals if you must eat cereals)

Note: There is a whole other subject, called “glycemic loads”, describing the value of the entire item you are eating, that can be taken into consideration, but it is simply too extensive and undeveloped to go into at this time. Look into it yourself at David Mendosa: A Writer About Diabetes (now Diabetes - Diabetes Management - Signs of Diabetes - Symptoms of Diabetes) if you’re interested.

Proteins: Eat lean proteins, low in saturated fats.
Examples of Good Protein Sources:
-Lean Beef (90% lean ground beef, lean steak)
-Chicken (particularly white meat)
-Turkey (particularly white meat)
-Lean pork (tenderloin, lean ham)
-Lowfat dairy products, in moderation
-Cottage cheese (highly recommended form of casein protein)
-Whey protein
-Fish, particularly tuna, salmon, and cod
-Eggs, particularly egg whites (yolks in moderation)
-Soy and soy products, while very good sources of protein, have also been shown in some studies to have potential for causing high estrogen levels and sexual dysfunction. I suggest using these in moderation until testing is completed and a conclusion has been reached. Caveat Emptor.

Proteins to avoid:
-Fatty meats (non-extra lean ground beef, fatty pork (bacon, ribs, etc)
-Fatty dairy (whole milk, most cheese, ice cream)

Fats: Fats, which have been vilified, are an essential ingredient in our diet. Poly and monounsaturated fats must be included in your daily plan. A small amount of saturated fats are also needed. Minimize saturated fats, maximize monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats. Try to get good Essential Fatty Acids – Omega 3 and Omega 6’s. No more than 1/3 of your fat calories should be saturated fats (if you are on a 40/30/30 plan, 10% of your calories may come from sat fats).

Examples of good fats
:
-Fish and fish oils – polyunsaturated, best source of Omega 3’s – cold water fish – tuna, salmon, cod
-Flaxseed oil – some Omega 3, good Omega 6
-Olive Oil - monounsaturated fat
-Avocados – monounsaturated fat
-Nuts – mono, poly, and omega 6s – best are walnuts and almonds

Bad fats
:
-Saturated fats – from animal products (fatty beef, pork, milk, etc)
-Hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated fats (trans fatty acids) – Wicked Bad Stuff. (margarine and Crisco are trans fatty acids)

Most vegetable oil and corn oil – use Canola oil if you must use oil, and use in moderation – try not to cook in oil if you can avoid it. If you cook with oil, use an oil with the appropriate smoke point.

Water
:
Water is a compound we can’t do without for more than only a few days. The human body is about 60 to 75 percent water, and the brain is said to be about 85 percent water. Even bones are about 20 percent water. The body needs water. Nothing substitutes for water; coffee, tea, alcohol, are not the same as water. Drink at least 10 glasses of water a day. Note: The more caffeine you drink, the more water you must drink. Caffeine is a diuretic and flushes water out of your system.

Vitamins and Minerals
:
Vitamins and Minerals play a vital role in maintaining the proper biological functioning of everything from muscles to memory. Nutritionists will tell you that they are unnecessary if we consume a properly balanced diet, but few of us consume a “properly balanced diet”. It is highly recommended to consume a good quality multivitamin/mineral supplement daily. It is very difficult to obtain protective levels of some nutrients solely from diet.

Special notes:
1) Avoid mixing high GI carbs with fats
2) Avoid all processed / prepackaged foods
3) Read labels! Be on the lookout for bad stuff!
4) Eat your veggies!
5) Do not eat too little. Your metabolism will slow to a crawl and you will stop burning fat.
6) Do not eat too much. You will store excess as fat.
7) Alcohol, if required, must be kept to a minimum. When you drink alcohol, your body uses the alcohol as an energy source instead of burning your fat stores.

“Clean Eating”:
1) Keep your caloric intake around your computed requirement – not too low, not too high
2) Keep your macronutrient ratios per your computed requirement, say within 10% - track them on FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal if possible
3) Eat low GI carbs, lean proteins, mono & polyunsaturated fats
4) Eat your veggies! Eat your veggies! Eat your veggies!

ruthieqt 08-13-2010 11:31 AM

Measure all your foods exactly

Originally Posted by heytred (Post 18516)
Measure all of your food exactly. A caloric deficit, adequate protein, and moderate exercise are always (barring a physical condition) always, always lead to weight loss.

LOL....this is probably the problem. I don't measure hardly anything. I have been told that I am suppose to weigh even a banana and things like that, but usually I just enter it into FitDay as 1 medium banana, and so forth.

I do have a food scale, I guess it's just time to really jump on the wagon and be 100%. I don't think I'm actually off by much, but I guess an oz here and another oz there makes a huge difference. I'm gonna start measuring EVERYTHING as of tomorrow (well Sunday...I work tomorrow) and I'll see if that makes a difference, if not then I will try decreasing calories.

curvygirl63 08-23-2010 07:47 AM

Beware of food from a box

Originally Posted by Deanna0404 (Post 70948)
I really get tired of just vegetables and fruits and was wondering how everyone felt about the Lean Cuisines, Weight Watchers, etc.? Sometimes I want more flavor. Should I not be eating these, even if I am staying within my calorie range? And if I shouldn't eat those, any suggestions on some other foods?

Thank you! I just started two days ago at 224 pounds. I am 5'7" and looking to be around 160 pounds.

Frozen Diet meals are loaded with so much sodium. The only convenience is the portion size which will tend to make you more hungry. The sodium will also cause you to retain water and you will not show a weight loss and in most cases - you gain. Then, you start to blame yourself and at this point most people give up and quit. It just isn't worth it.

How about making your own "frozen meals". I grill a bunch of chicken, turkey or salmon on the weekend, steam brocholi or stir-fry some veggies and pre-pack my own meals. That way I won't get bored and I control the salt. You do save $$$ in the long run. I keep a lot of salad and cut-up veggies on hand.

It's an investment of about 3 hours on saturday night to have food available during the week. Sometimes, I have so much food cooked, there is no excuse for not having anything to eat or no time to cook. I simply re-heat something I've already prepared. I can go almost 2 weeks without having to cook again.

Give it a try. I'd really stay away from frozen "diet" meals (Weight Watchers, Lean Cuisine, etc.) and make your own.

fletch8502 09-07-2010 12:25 AM

Don't approach it as "all or nothing"

Originally Posted by linusfuller (Post 71270)
I'm always trying new things so try to lost this weight, but usually I will succeed for 2 to 5 days, then completely either screw it up or fail. Example, "feeling really satisfied after eating a turkey sandwich so almost all I will eat for a few days are turkey sandwiches, then gradually increase the amount trying to get the same satiation, then gain weight." Things like that but in different forms. My weight is a scary roller coaster as is my appetite and I'm having a hard time. Someone have advice?

Congrats on trying and posting here when you get stuck, linus. You're doing the right things!

Maybe try looking at eating in a different light. Instead of thinking about going on (and inevitably off) a diet, think about making a commitment to a healthy lifestyle. That means you do the best you can all of the time, but it also means that if you have a piece of cake at a party, it's okay. You enjoy it, then continue with your healthy lifestyle the very next minute. Maybe you exercise a little more that day to make up for it.

I think the key is not depriving yourself and not using "all or nothing" thinking
. Think about this: if you got a flat tire in your car, you wouldn't fix it by slashing the other three, would you? So should be the case with your healthy lifestyle. If you mess up and have too many calories or fat one day, you wouldn't fix it by eating terrible foods the next day, right? Get back to your healthy eating right away and keep on keepin on!

Maybe you need a little variety with what you're eating? Instead of turkey sandwiches over and over, try low fat cottage cheese with vegetables one day. Try a healthy nut butter sandwich with reduced sugar jelly. Try a salad with all the fresh produce you can find!

As for your appetite being a roller coaster, make sure you're getting enough fiber, protein, and healthy fats. If you're eating lots of simple carbs, that can make you more hungry. Also, try eating small meals or a snack every 3-4 hours so that you don't get too hungry and overeat.

Best of luck! You can do it!!!

rpmcduff 09-08-2010 05:43 PM

It's not rocket science

I use the approach that this is the way I will eat for the rest of my life. Not a diet but a lifestyle. Nothing is off limits, but I now understand the baggage my food choices bring. I started off slowly, one of the first things I eliminated was the multiple Cokes I drank daily. I now try to not drink any of my calories except a glass of milk on occasion. Water is now my beverage of choice.

I severly restrict simple carbohydrates like processed foods, white bread and sugar. I track my food here on Fitday and try to get 30% of my calories from protein. I don't worry at all about fat as I know the mostly whole foods I am eating contains healthy fat. I eat more vegetables and fruit than I used to. I began exercising for 20 minutes 3 times a week using High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) which consists of running for 20 seconds and walking for 40 seconds. (When I started I would jog then walk, slowly increasing my speed and over time decreasing the walking interval.)

Lest you think I have it all figured out my schedule has been hectic and I have not been exercising as I would like. (I have been remodeling a duplex with my son evenings and weekends.) The result is that I have been on a plataeu since hitting the 45 pounds lost mark. I don't let weight on the scale dictate my mood. Instead I use it as motivation.

No rocket science, everything in moderation, healthy diet and exercise.

rpmcduff 09-20-2010 03:14 AM

General advice for the frequently requested "tips"

Originally Posted by llkoolk (Post 73398)
Just getting started ....any tips or advice would be helpful

Check out historical posts in the forums. There is a lot of great information. Understand that you need to find what works best for you. Here are a few things that I personally find helpful both for attitude and nutrition.

* This is not a race. You didn't get fat overnight, you won't get fit overnight either.

* Exercise is important. If you have been a couch potato start some type of exercise program. Even walking is better than sitting!. (I am also a proponent of weight/resistance training, and that means women too.) Don't try to go from a couch potato to exercising like Mr. Olympia overnight. This too is a gradual process. Search for the 'Couch to 5K' if you would like a program to start running, check out Bodybuilding.com for other exercise information.

* While exercise is important, diet is 80% of the equation. You can't out train a bad diet.

* Try to get 30% of your calories from protein. Protein is the only nutrient that can build and repair muscle. When maintaining a calorie deficit the body will catabolize muscle. Adequate protein intake and exercise will help minimize muscle loss. Muscle is the furnace of your metabolism. If you lose muscle the number of calories your body burns will be reduced and you will have to eat fewer and fewer calories to continue losing weight.

* Approach the journey to getting fit as a lifestyle change and not just a short term diet. Educate yourself so you understand the nutritional baggage each food carries. I personally don't have anything I can't eat. But I severely restrict my simple carbohydrates like processed foods, white bread, and sugar because I now understand the calories and how the body metabolizes them.

* Try to not drink your calories. Soda, Gatorade, beer and alcoholic beverages carry a huge amount of calories that most of us never realized we were consuming. Water is now my beverage of choice along with some coffee.

* Don't eliminate all the fat from your diet. Don't buy into the 'Fat Free is Healthier' rhetoric. Many of the processed 'Fat Free' foods are just simple carbs with lots of sodium to make them taste good. Fat is essential for body functions like nutrient transfer and neural function. With out fat you will get sick. I don't limit my fat intake at all. Since the fat I eat is from whole foods like olive oil, meat and nuts that I consume I know it is good for me. I just need to understand that fat carries 9 calories per gram vs. 4 calories per gram for Protein and Carbs. Fat has also been shown in studies to have a satiating effect on appetite. Another reason why I believe many fail when they attempt a fat free diet.

Hope these help. They work for me. Welcome and good luck in your journeys.

midwestj 10-18-2010 07:01 AM

Alcohol is your worst enemy

Alcohol is a fat loss and muscle builders worst enemy.

First alcohol must be burned off before all food calories. So when you are going out to eat on Saturday night having your 3000 calories and downing a six this is truly the cause of your slowed progress. All the food calories you just ate are stored so that all the alcohol can be processed out of your system.

Second Alcohol is calorie dense and contains no nutritional value. 7 cals/gram but no actual food value or vitamin/mineral content.

Alcohol lowers protein synthesis.

Alcohol lowers testosterone while increasing estrogen. (YIKES!)

There are many other effects not to mention the loss of motivation the day following a binge.

I am not going to be the one to tell you to stop drinking all together, but I think you should keep it to 2-3 beers once a week at the most.

yauncin 11-05-2010 01:27 AM

Listerine is a good trick to use

Originally Posted by jamesbin (Post 24597)
I brush my teeth and rinse with Listerine after my last meal of the day. EVERYTHING tastes like crap after that stuff, so that helps me curb my snacking. And my teeth are clean!

True story. Nice trick.

tig0big0 12-11-2010 03:47 AM

A list of sound advice

Moderator's Note: OK, so this probably isn't a tip from a FitDay member (there's an earlier upload floating around the internet dated December 5, 2010). But it was posted by a FitDay member and is excellent advice. If anyone objects, I'll consider removing this post, but then again I probably won't. :p

:)

The thought of losing weight may be overwhelming. Especially if you have a goal to lose over 15 pounds. I've made a list of ten things you should do to help you lose weight. ( in no particular order)

Orient yourself with servings sizes- there's nothing quite like portion distortion. Get to know what ounces , cups, and grams look and feel like. At a restaurant you're served at least twice as much as you're supposed to eat. Do yourself a favor and share a meal with a friend/spouse. Here are a few ways to remember portion sizes : A cup is approximately the size of your fist. 3 oz (protein) is just about the size of your palm or a deck of cards. a tablespoon of butter is the size of the ditstal (from knuckle to tip) of your thumb. 2 tablespoons is the size of a ping pong ball.

Eat Breakfast- It's important to eat breakfast, you don't have to eat it first thing in the morning. Eat breakfast when you feel a little hungry. Your breakfast doesn't have to be a feast either, just give yourself enough food so that you won't empty the fridge by lunchtime :)

Read food labels- "low fat", "diet" , " low carb" and "zero calories" Don't mean a damn thing !!!!!! An item may claim to have less fat , but does it tell you that more sugar or salt was added to compensate for the loss of flavor ? A food item may claim to have zero calories, but does it also claim to have Zero nutritional value ? Don't believe the hype , look at the Nutritional facts label on the back to really see what your eating , make note of the serving size and read the ingredients.If you don't know what the ingredients are google it !

Plate your food- Cows don't eat from a plate , they graze all day, there's no telling how much they eat. Don't be a cow ! Plate every food item so that you can visualize how much you're taking in. The easiest way to consume way too many calories is to mindlessly eat out a container. Be aware of how much you're eating.

Grocery shop on a full stomach- You are less likely to buy junk when you're at the supermarket when you aren't hungry. First and foremost you should make a grocery list and stick to it. Not only does this method help you save money, it helps you save your waistline ;)

Make fiber a part of your diet- Foods like whole grains, Bran, leafy green veggies, apples ( with skin), pears, peaches, citrus( with pectin- the white stuff), beans, legumes, nutsand seeds are foods high in fiber. Fiber helps you feel fuller longer and slow the absorption of fat and cholesterol into the bloodstream.

Avoid canned and/or processed foods- they are full of sodium, fat and sugar. These " food" items tend to be void of any nutritional benefit. Stick to wholesome fresh foods. " If it comes in a box , tell it to kick rocks ".

Prepare your meals- Put the power in your hands. When you go to a restaurant or eat processed foods others make the decisions as to what you're eating. When you prepare your own meals you're in control of what goes in your mouth, you're also in more control of your weight.Besides , cooking is fun. If you have children , make them a part of the process.

Follow the 80:20 rule- It would be unreasonable to expect you to cut out all your favorite foods. On a diet like that you're 100% sure to fail. the 80:20 rule says that you should eat 80% healthy foods and let you have a little fun 20% of the time. It's like work, monday through friday from 9-5 you're on your best behavior, on the weekends you let yourself loose. There's no need to be stringent about what you eat all the time. ( unless you're on the "reduced joy diet")

Make smart substitutions- Lets say you're following the 80:20 rule, on those 20% foods be wise about your choices. Instead of ice cream have sorbet, you still get to enjoy a nice cool treat without the excess fat and calories. If you want to have a beer make it a light one. If you crave chocolate , try dark chocolate- it has flavinoids and antioxidants.

Bonus *11* Write down everything you eat and drink for a week- include calories if possible. Try to also record how much vitamins and minerals you're getting from your food. You'll be able to look at your eating habits and make a change immediately. If you feel bad throwing food away, donate those canned/processed foods to your local pantry for the needy- you'll be feeding the hungry and improving your health.It's holiday season we should all be willing to give.

DetroitBreakdown 12-12-2010 01:57 AM

Try not to think of losing weight as a diet, but as a lifestyle change

I have been heavy as long as I can remember. I've seen pictures of a skinny me at 3 years old, but that's it. I also had a brief period in my early twenties when I was in better shape, but apart from that it's always been like this.

If anyone wants some advice from a noob, I can say, try not to think of losing weight as a diet, but a lifestyle change. It has to be something you really want to do, and something you want to do for you. You have to find your reasons and think in terms of the rewards of your success rather than scolding yourself into "doing what you should." Try to think in terms of making healthier food choices and getting some exercise. Start as slowly as feels right to you, but try to make goals and keep commitments to yourself.

Find a calorie goal that you're comfortable with and use the resources here to log your food and activity. It will engage you in a way that for me has been miraculous. Also, rely on this great community of people who have been and are in your shoes when you have questions. They will come through with the information you need.

For me, eating five times a day instead of one or two huge binge meals has made a real difference for me. I never miss breakfast, have a mid morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, and dinner. I'm over 340lbs, and am never hungry on 2,000 calories a day.

I can also say that I have greatly benefited from hugely increased water intake. I shoot for about 160oz a day, and I know it has a lot to do with how good I feel.

In the month I've been at this, and having lost only 12lbs in a 190lb journey, I can say that the benefits and rewards have been endless. Yes, it will be a long road, but it has already been full of rewards, from fitting into clothes that were too small just last month, to improved health markers at the doctor's, to my absolutely favorite part, energy that lasts all day. It's important to know there are rewards for doing this.

Best of luck to all new members. You deserve to feel better and will feel better if you stick with it.

rpmcduff 12-17-2010 03:44 AM

Change your habits

Originally Posted by dggriffi (Post 28675)
I also understand that my metabolism will slow and and muscle could be consumed thus reducing my calorie maintenance. Aside from the that, what are the reasons that the weight goes back on? is it psychological or just habitual?

When people approach weight loss as a short term 'diet' rather than a longterm lifestyle change many people have the weight come right back when they stop 'dieting' and return to their old habits. This is the definition of YO-YO dieting and why so many fail to keep the weight off. Lets look at the cycle:
*People eat too many calories and excercise too little creating a calorie surplus. They gain weight.
*They decide they need to lose weight.
*They restrict their foods and add activities to create a calorie deficit.
*They lose weight with the mindset that the diet is only temporary.
*They hit their goal weight or can no longer live with the restrictions of their diet.
*They return to their old habits, eating too many, and the wrong type, of calories and not getting enough exercise.
*Surprise!!!! The weight starts coming back.

I believe this is because they never changed their habits and thinking. They saw the diet as something they only had to do attain their goals. I would advocate that you develop a mindset that you are changing your lifestyle to eat healthier and exercise more for your longterm health and well being. I (and many others who have had success here on Fitday) have come to the realization that I must change my habits (the holiday season has reinforced this) or the weight will return.

Originally Posted by dggriffi (Post 28675)
My plan is to drop 10 and start run/walking. Then at 20, i plan to hit the free weights. I want to wait as long as a can for the weights because i think it might warp my persecption of pounds lost.

If you diet without exercise 50-75% of your weight loss could come from muscle! I personally would not wait to start lifting. While the weight might come off slower you will be losing more fat by incorporating lifting. So the question becomes do you want to lose fat or just weight?

midwestj 12-17-2010 04:07 AM

Eat better, eat less, move more

For one thing you cannot really increase your metabolism, it goes up for that particular day if you do exercise do to the calorie cost of the exercise. If you gain significant muscle it would increase only slightly. It should be thought of as the calorie cost to keep your cells functioning, dropping below this number completely for days on end can potentially lower it long term. After your crash diet when you resume normal eating with a reduced metabolic rate, weight gain can be quicker than it was before.

You are better off just reducing your intake by 10-25% and reducing your weight slowly.
Also exercise is not the best way to lose fat, its only a necessary component to retain your lean mass while you lose weight. It is possible to build small amounts of muscle on a calorie deficit but not as much as you might think.

Contrary to popular beliefs exercising itself won't make you lose weight. Think about this one: have you ever gone to the gym for a long period of time, say a few months and you see the same people there day in and day out, making no changes to their body. Well is exercise helping them lose weight? It would not appear so. The harder work comes in the kitchen, sticking to a plan of making healthier food choices and eating less along with the exercise is how you make those changes.

In short eat better, eat less, lastly move more. Each of these three are all integral to making a body transformation.

Crash diets are set up to crash and burn imo. I lost the weight slow but if you asked me if it took a long time I would tell you it was probably the fastest 5 months of my life.

nottango 01-01-2011 02:30 AM

The best "diet" is the one that you design for yourself

Originally Posted by ArtDzign (Post 73077)
I have taken a test (Jillian Michaels) that says I am a high oxidizer. This means that my daily intake should be 50% Protein, 30% Fat and 20% Carbs. I have a list of foods that I am not supposed to eat and a list of foods that I am allowed to eat. I am seeking recipes for the High Oxidizer. Anyone want to share theirs?

The best, most effective diet is the one that you design for yourself. I have about the same ratios, but have taken months to determine what works for me, based on my routine, my likes/dislikes and moods. Think of today as the beginning of your own journey. I would recommend being cautious of anyone labeling you - especially based on a questionnaire. Our bodies are complex, and ever-changing. I would be especially careful if you're given a list of foods you can't eat. That's ridiculous, and setting yourself into "dieting" mentality, which causes more harm than good in the long run. Just my 2 cents worth! Congratulations on your decision to become healthier. Expect to have some challenges along with successes along the way.

shibaluvr 03-14-2011 01:49 AM

Losing weight by eating fish

I am having good success with weightloss this time around. I have switched out eating beef, pork and chicken with eating all different types of fish. Fish is cheaper than deli meats and beef these days.

I have discovered the tuna pouches that are flavored now. They do not have added fat and calories and are quick and easy to measure into the diet. Eating sweet and spicy tuna in lettuce wraps with some carrots and pepper strips on the side to dip in a little hummus makes a great lunch. Lots of flavor, good omega three low fat protein.

Tilapia is cheap and very easy to make. It can be made in the microwave in a matter of minutes. My twelve year old loves this fish. What I do is brush it with fat-free diet salad dressing. The cooking makes it a nice sauce and he asks me to make this for him. Baked, microwaved or in a pan on the stove, it's quick, low fact and easy. Very calorie friendly.

Scallops are everywhere now. The sea scallops are sweet, dense and three or four make a filling meal. I cook them simply and put a little lemon-pepper seasoning on them. Eat them with brown rice or this stuff called zany grains which I love.

Salmon is my least favorite, but when I'm hungry, I eat it knowing I'm doing something healthy for myself. Making a baked potato in the microwave, mashing it up, adding shredded carrots, onions to this with flaked salmon canned or fresh plus some lemon pepper makes a tasty salmon patty. If it doesn't hold together, then just call it salmon hash.

I buy what is on sale at the store. Even canned oysters are inexpensive. I was raised on oyster stew and I make a low-fat version with skim milk, celery and onion and the oysters. If I must have the floating butter in it, I use Smart Balance.

When I'm not eating fish, I eat the Omega three eggs, turkey or occasional bison.

I have a life long struggle with weight and get tired of dieting like anybody else. When this happens, I just tell myself that I'm getting too fixated on what I'm eating, it's just a meal and stop whining about it. Potato chips got me here having to do this, and they will not be part of the solution.

Keep at it everyone. We're here to save our lives. Processed food is not our friend.

Peace.

taubele 03-19-2011 02:06 AM

Tips for how to lose more

Originally Posted by cazlar (Post 69463)
Hi everyone! I wondered if you had any advice for me in losing a few pounds!

I'm a 22 year old female, 5'5, medium frame, and my weight tends to hover around 140lbs. I've been going to the gym 5-7 times a week, burning off around 750 calories each session (according to machines) with an hour of cardio followed by weights. I also do a keiser cycle class and body pump once a week with others thrown in occasionally. Using the 'fitday.com' calorie and activity tracker i am currently getting a calorie deficit of 1000kcals per day, (eating 1800, burning off 2800 for example).

I feel like I am following all the fitness advice I can find online but don't seem to be losing much weight.

I measure myself with a tape measure and weigh myself regularly and the losses im experiencing are not very impressive (I have been following this routine for a month now, where previously i went to the gym 4-5 times a week and didn't count calories, and would estimate that i've only lost around 2lbs in total, and 0-2cm in measurements). Occasionally I have a weekend off (visiting friends etc) where i dont go to the gym or watch what i eat for a couple of days and drink alcohol. Could this be what is setting my weightloss back?

I only want to lose around 5-7 for the time being, do I need to lower my calorie intake further? Or am I just being too impatient?!
Caroline

I have to agree on the upping your protein :) I find that it helps me a lot. Try to get it up over 25% at first and ekeing it towards thirty, if you can. Also, get a HRM - I too use the machines at the gym for "calorie burn" estimates, but I think they're probably off (I enter my age and weight, but it doesn't ask for height, for example) and I will be getting a HRM at my next paycheck :)

Also, when are you weighing yourself? I often find that if I weigh myself the day after a lot of weight lifting, I'm mysteriously up a pound from fluid retention. Try to figure out a day when you might be retaining less fluid, perhaps?

I'm also giving a thumbs up for logging sleep - I was frustrated before because I thought my "burn" was around 1200-1500 daily (and thus I should have been losing 2-3 lbs. per week) before I started logging sleep - now it's averaging more like 750, and that's way more accurate for the amount of weight I'm actually losing (averaging a pound and a half per week).

almeeker 03-25-2011 07:04 AM

Why drinking a lot water is so important for weight loss

Originally Posted by rly123 (Post 72829)
okay so remind me why water is very important? I know it helps with weight loss but why? I have been drinking 100 ounces of water for the past 3 days (this is my 4th day) and I think I'm losing all my calories just by running to the bathroom every chance I get. lol I just need a little encouragement.

I'm not any kind of physician or anything, but this is what I understand. As the body burns fat, it gives off keytones, when you reach a certain level of burn it's called ketosis. You can actually test for this condition with a strip of litmus paper dipped in urine. Anyway, if your body contains a high level of keytones, they can be reabsorbed into your body helping you to store fat when you do eat. Sort of a way for the body to prime itself for optimal fat storage when does get food. If you drink a lot of water the keytones get flushed out, making your body less able to store fat from the next meal. That is one reason, another reason is that when you are dehydrated the ratio of water to salt in your body gets a little lopsided and you will actually retain water in your cells (or between them?) and show a water gain on the scale. I think it has something to do with the chemistry of salt, whatever free electron it has attracting this or that etc etc. (I took chemistry eons ago, and I didn't remember it well even then). Also when people are trying to create a calorie deficit they tend to workout and bring on a sweat, so you have to replenish that as well.

For weight loss you should be drinking 64 oz baseline + another 8 oz for every 10 lbs you want to lose. So by my estimate you need to be drinking 120 oz. Sorry, more trips to the potty for you LOL. Actually I try and break my water drinking up throughout the day, drinking it all at once is really hard. I have a 24 oz bottle during my morning workout, another between breakfast and lunch, one between lunch and dinner and another for dinner. At meals I'm either finishing the one that I had between meals or I'm starting the next. Typically I drink 96-144 oz of water per day.

mecompco 04-06-2011 12:54 AM

Just the facts please

Well, let's consider this:

FACT: if you consistently eat less calories than your body burns, you WILL lose weight. Of course, you WILL eventually starve to death as well (think concentration camp victims). This is irrefutable--yes, you may enter "starvation mode", but eventually you WILL lose weight. I've done a 30 day zero cal fast upon more than one occasion (which I don't of course recommend) and lost a ton of weight--"starvation mode" or not.

Now, I'm not saying that super-low cals is the FASTEST way to lose weight--I suspect that a fairly low amount of calories, but enough to keep the metabolism active is theoretically the FASTEST way. But, we need to keep in mind that the goal is to have a sustainable lifestyle change.

We need to pick a calorie level and carb/protein/fat mix that allows us to eat what we like (making healthy choices, most of the time of course) while keeping us satisfied so that we won't be tempted to overeat or binge due to hunger. Finding this point, while keeping the average calorie deficit high enough to allow reasonably fast results is the challenge.

Regards,
Michael

pinenutcasserole 04-19-2011 04:55 PM

Tracking and satiety

I cracked 150 last week - had been hanging around there for ages! Now into the 140s, which is fab. I'm doing 6 days a week of some thing or other now, vs 4, which I'm sure is helping.

But with regard to eating, I only recently realized that Fitday tracking has taught me to attend to satiety. I've re-learned how to eat! The 'full' feeling I used to have at the end of almost every meal would now make me uncomfortable. (Actually tried this out the other day, mostly because I wanted to carb my way out of a hangover - bad! - and it felt AWFUL.)

I can say I haven't obsessed over numbers - been focusing more on quality, and failing there sometimes too. I very roughly aim for between 1200 and 1500 cals a day, and for the 'calorie balance' bars to show more expenditure than intake, and adjust the next days if I've eaten too much. And I've lapsed with the tracking some, too.

But now, even when I don't track until the end of the day, I find I only want to eat btwn 1200 and 1500 - I leave a table feeling sort of 4/5ths full. Which leaves me feeling both satisfied and mobile, if you know what I mean... I no longer have to sit for a bit to digest my food. I feel like I've re-set my hunger levels, weirdly!

I'll continue to track obviously, in case of slippage, but how interesting that one's subjective feelings of hunger can be so altered just by tracking!

Kathy13118 05-16-2011 02:04 AM

Be sure to include healthy fats

Originally Posted by Laurea (Post 69268)
I was reading on Yahoo about avocados. I came across this paragraph. It concisely puts together what I've been trying to understand.

"Studies show that people sustain their nutrition program longer and have greater weight loss when on a diet that contains about 30 percent healthy monounsaturated fat, like those in avocados, rather than a low-fat diet. This is because fats, when eaten in the proper balance with carbohydrates, can help to slow the release of sugars into the blood stream, thereby triggering less insulin release. Insulin is basically the hormone that instructs the body to store energy as fat while preventing the use of stored energy, making it a dieter's nemesis if levels are too high."

!! And since FitDay is so great about keeping track of fat and carbs for you, it will be easy to keep the balance. (Or at least be aware of your balance/non-balance)

I don't know about that yahoo paragraph. There are lots of studies out there and unless you're looking at them, the allusion to SOME studies can be pretty persuasive, without seeing the other studies, too.

What I do know is that you don't have to do much to have fat flooding into your diet. I try to NOT add any fat to my normal diet and I still come up with percentages like yesterday's - 24% - just because so much fat is added to food and is a component of so many natural foods. This is not a big deal, it's just that fat has 9 calories a gram (compared to 4 calories a gram for carbs and protein) so it's easy to eat a lot more calories.

I try to watch the saturated fat, polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fat percentages on fitday. I cannot imagine how to get 30% monounsaturated fat. I get 10% on a good day - using Benecol spread and Smart Balance Peanut Butter (both are high in monounsaturated fat and low in saturated fat). There are monounsaturated fats in meats, for example, but they are matched and exceeded by saturated fats in the same meats. I think it would be really a feat to have 30% monounsaturated fat show up on the fitday chart that accompanies the food log.

rpmcduff 05-27-2011 02:21 AM

The "Diet" must be sustainable

Originally Posted by BooyahBabe (Post 70792)
Hello everyone, I've lost count of how many times I joined FitDay over the years...

I have just started my lifestyle change (I'm on day 2). I am counting calories, weighing, etc. I'm very clued up about nutrition and for me, I have had past success with eating more lean protein and any bread or pasta being wholemeal or low GI.

I'm quite certain I'm making the right food choices. Problem is, I'm still hungry! After dinner I get hungry right away and when I go to bed my tummy is growling so much my husband is kept awake!

I suspect I've miscalculated my calorie intake. I calculated it as 1200-1300. I am 78kg, 163cm tall, about to turn 37yo and do moderate exercise (will be starting a twice weekly bootcamp, intense 1 hour sessions).

I've just done another calculation which puts my intake at about 1400 for the day.

How do you deal with the hunger pangs??? Do they go away? Do I just have to get used to it, or have I calculated my calories too low (at 1200-1300)?

What is your fat intake? Fat, beside being essential for nutrient transfer and neurological functions has been shown to satiate hunger. I personally will eat about 10 almonds and drink a glass of water when I am feeling hungry. I beleive the healthy fats in the almonds help be conquer my hunger pains.

I have read of others strategies for over coming their hunger by using popcorn, vegetable sticks (celery, carrots, brocolli, etc.), and sugar free pudding. Do some experimenting to find what works for you. I don't believe any life style change that has you hungry all the time is sustainable long term.

I can be satisfied at 1300-1400 calories but I have had to change what I eat to include more vegetables and salads (with little dressing) so the quantity of food I eat now is greater but less calorie dense.

Kathy13118 05-28-2011 07:11 AM

Choose "winning" food combinations

Hello everyone, I've lost count of how many times I joined FitDay over the years...

I have just started my lifestyle change (I'm on day 2). I am counting calories, weighing, etc. I'm very clued up about nutrition and for me, I have had past success with eating more lean protein and any bread or pasta being wholemeal or low GI.

I'm quite certain I'm making the right food choices. Problem is, I'm still hungry! After dinner I get hungry right away and when I go to bed my tummy is growling so much my husband is kept awake!

I suspect I've miscalculated my calorie intake. I calculated it as 1200-1300. I am 78kg, 163cm tall, about to turn 37yo and do moderate exercise (will be starting a twice weekly bootcamp, intense 1 hour sessions).

I've just done another calculation which puts my intake at about 1400 for the day.

How do you deal with the hunger pangs??? Do they go away? Do I just have to get used to it, or have I calculated my calories too low (at 1200-1300)?

Oil is going to pump up your calorie count. There are less than half the calories of oil in the same quantity (grams) of carb or protein.

Fiber: an apple has fiber. But there are lots of foods that have fiber, and some may be much more effective at helping you feel filling. Protein is also filling. So, if you can combine those two, you've probably got a winner. I am a big fan of GG crackers (Whole Foods has them, also amazon.com) even though they are basically pressed bran and you wouldn't seek them out if you were looking for a tasty cracker. As far as filling you up, they do just that. With some low-fat cottage cheese, that's a good filling snack. Eat two or three - they are extremely low in calories (in fact, they show up having zero points plus on the WW calculations!).

FutureizNow 06-01-2011 12:41 PM

Perhaps more important than how much you should eat is *what* you should be eating

Originally Posted by khillyer (Post 47746)
I don't eat much breakfast and my meals are very unevenly balenced amount wise, so how do I know that I'm eating the correct amounts? Is there a size such as a fist that i should go by? Just until i feel slightly full? I only ask because it can sometimes be misleading, if someone could answer my question that would be great, thanks.

It's a good question. If it were obvious how much to eat there would be many fewer unhealthy people.

But perhaps more important than how much you should eat is *what* you should be eating! Because generally speaking this determines a lot of your hunger. Do you have a handle on what you are eating and what you want to be eating?

Again, generally speaking, healthy, nutritious foods are going to fill you more more than unhealthy ones. They create fewer cravings and satisfy. Your body knows this and does make it pretty clear that it is done eating. On the other hand, sweets, salty snacks and fatty foods (or some combinations thereof - eg, buffalo wings) can be eaten nearly to the pont of no return. If you are mainly eating "junk" then it will be hard to get and hear the message to stop.

On the other hand, if you make a varied selection of healthy foods - the food pyramid is not a bad place to start - have a goodly amount of protein, dairy, vegetables, whole grains and fruit, you body should find its own way. You should be eat according to your needs and maintain your weight. I've heard the fistful of protein example as well, and it is not a bad guideline, though if you are hungry lean protein going to fill you better than most other foods.

You don't indicate if you are dieting or just trying to maintain your weight. If you are trying to lose weight, then you also need to cut calories below your requirements, and may not be able to eat as freely. In that case, in general portion control is more important. I don't think it's crucial that all meals be the same size. If you are not tired or lethargic from skipping breakfast and catch up on the nutrients later in the day then that is ok as well. However if you find your studies or work suffer then you should have something. A fruit, some cereal (oats are great), glass of milk, etc to get you going.

Hope this helps ...

FIN

boolz 06-05-2011 06:13 AM

Experiment with macronutrients

I agree with the others about experimenting. It sounds like you basically do like I do: higher protein. For me, that's key. When I get the right protein balance/amount, I have little or no hunger, even with few calories. Some things to consider experimenting with:

- does it make a difference when you eat your protein? For me, it works best if it's fairly evenly split between the 3 meals.

- What proportion of carbs/fats/proteins gives you the best hunger control? For me, I need carbs to be no more than a third of my calories, and protein to be at least a third, better if it's 35-40%. I can tolerate a pretty wide fluctuation in fat% without it effecting my hunger feelings, but try to keep it under 33% or it tends to rob me of protein calories.

- Are there any foods that just plain make you feel fuller, for no obvious reason? I can't explain it, but, for me the order of hunger satisfaction is: beef/pork > turkey > fish > chicken > eggs. (assuming equal amounts of lean choices). I eat all of those choices, but use that knowledge to balance a day, ie not have a day where my protein is eggs for breakfast, fish for lunch, chicken for dinner. That will leave me hungry.

Anyway, for me, the whole secret is in the protein management, but it took a bit of noticing to make it really work.

AmJam04 07-28-2011 09:29 AM

Water water water

Hey guys!

So I've been trying to read about some ways that can assist in losing extra weight, and one of them is drinking a lot of water.

Basically, I've read that it's important to stay hydrated throughout the day (which is sort of a no-brainer, since doing that in general helps your overall health) but also that drinking a cold glass of water before every meal and attempting to replace a craving with a glass of water is supposed to help you feel more full and your body has to put in a little extra work to warm itself up again after the icey-cold water hits your stomach.

mecompco 09-06-2011 06:30 AM

All things in moderation, beware of "triggers"

I'm all for moderation. As you point out, a "diet" is a short-term affair. A lifestyle change is what many of us need--one that we can live with forever.

I personally have chosen to abstain from any desert-type items as they are a particular trigger for me. Anything else, though, is fine--just in moderation.

I do like to eat at least 100 grams of protein a day and try to eat "good" foods including fruits and veggies every day. I also do best when I limit simple carbs so I eat whole wheat bread and the like.

Regards,
Michael

rpmcduff 09-20-2011 09:08 AM

Be cautious about alcohol

Originally Posted by eperka (Post 71066)
I've seen many articles and posts about achieving and maintaining motivation to stay on a healthy program for losing weight. One of my most challenging issues is the use of alcohol and how it affects weight loss. I'm not an alcoholic, but alcohol does provide a pleasurable mood change, and I've been reluctant to give it up completely (not forever, but for a period of time appropriate to my weight loss program).

I think not understanding fully the role that alcohol plays with respect to weight loss has been part of this reluctance to give it up. The answer for me was in research. I just finished a review of several articles, and they convinced me that alcohol is a real culprit that can slow (or arrest) your weight loss efforts, even if you are doing everything else "right."

Since your body cannot store alcohol, it is the first thing (or fuel source) that your body will use. So your fat burning effectively stops while the body uses the alcohol for fuel. In fact, alcohol can decrease you fat burning rate by as much as 73%. Alcohol can also stimulate your appetite and lower your inhibitions about eating. Not a good combination. So I've decided today to go alcohol-free for 30 days, to see how this affects the rate of my weight loss.

While simple carbs like sugar and white flour are often identified as anti-weight loss foods because of their fast digesting calories, alcohol is often overlooked. Yet alcohol has 7 kcal per gram, simple carbs only 4.

In my opinion the freshman 10 or 15 pound weight gain isn't because there is plentiful food at the cafeteria. It is because of an increase in alcohol consumption. I enjoy a good beer as much as the next guy but my consumption has gone to less than 1 per week because I now understand the consequences.

taubele 09-29-2011 06:42 AM

"Cheat Days" help keep you on track

I generally have 1-2 "cheat" days per month -- I usually don't plan them (unless there is a holiday or a known party coming) but rather, I just have a day where I'm feeling really hungry and I just let my body guide me on it. Those hungry days come less and less often now, so it's easier for me to feel okay about giving myself the cheat. My cheat days tend to run me 1800-2200 calories (though I've been known to hit closer to 3k sometimes), and I do log them, unless I am on vacation and away from a computer.

My cheats usually involve lunch or dinner - my breakfast is almost always rigorously controlled because I have stomach troubles if I eat heavy foods soon after waking. I don't have a huge sweet tooth - it's usually salty/savory or fried food that I want!!

The danger comes when a "cheat day" turns into a "cheat week" and you start getting back into old/bad habits. If you're thinking about cheats, maybe ease into them - give yourself a "cheat snack" or a "cheat dessert" and see if it triggers you to eat more for more than that one meal or snack? Then you'll see what you can and can't handle.

My personal philosophy on "cheats" is this: I don't believe that a diet which focuses on cutting out foods is one that will work in the long run (the exception may be vegetarianism/veganism). I think one should be able to eat everything one wants to - just mindfully, and in moderation. So if you're craving a food that's a little less healthy, that's okay - just be mindful of every bite, and REALLY enjoy it :) Making yourself feel deprived isn't going to do any favors for your diet or lifestyle, it's just going to make you feel resentful. Sit there and eat it slowly, indulge your senses, don't gobble it down like it's your last meal! :) I find that's what helps me, anyway.