FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Weight Loss Tips (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/)
-   -   Late night munchies, weight vs measurements, discouraged (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/6216-late-night-munchies-weight-vs-measurements-discouraged.html)

RunbikeSki 01-09-2012 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by lusciousL (Post 67683)
Thanks for the tips :)

Yesterday I went to bed earlier than usual and while I was in bed I had visions of heaps of icecream with nuts and caramel and chocolate but instead I kept drinking from the waterbottle I had taken with me.

After an hour of not being able to fall asleep cos of thinking about food I went downstairs and had a cup of soy yoghurt, I didn't feel really bad about it but it was not planned....

Good job luscious :) - that's how you start adopting good habits. Just trying to grind it out using will power often just doesn't work. But simply replacing your vision of mounds of ice cream with a yoghurt allows you to satisfy the urge without blowing the calories

lusciousL 01-09-2012 08:37 PM

Alright! I think I've found my planned snack :D

Now I need to get the timestretch between after dinner snack and going to bed longer, so I get to the point I don't eat anything for 3 hrs prior to bedtime.

Tx for the advice and encouragement!

jfinnert 01-10-2012 11:37 AM

I used to have exactly this problem. I'd be good all day, right through dinner, but then the evening snacks would torpedo my efforts every time.

What worked for me was a popcorn snack halfway between dinnertime and bedtime, plus one or two delicious herbal teas. I stress "delicious" because not all teas taste all that great, and I wanted something to look forward to. I generally don't sweeten my tea, but if you feel the need, then use a Stevia-based sweetener, which is low glycemic index.

For the popcorn, get yourself a microwave popper or an air-popper. I typically use a few sprays of Olivio spray (olive oil based butter substitute - the good fat), plus some popcorn salt. Never heard of popcorn salt? It's extra fine and works better for popcorn. Occasionally I'll make a savory popcorn with fresh chopped and lightly toasted thyme and rosemary, and recently I found an all-natural cheese flavoring that tastes very good. It may become my new favorite.

I time my popcorn snack for 8:30. If I get hungry after dinner, I can summon enough will power to wait till 8:30, and after my snack (including some hot tea), if I get really hungry, I just go to bed.

Breakfast is easy. Lunch is easy. A healthy apple or two is enough to get you to dinner, and a frozen dinner is a no-brainer way to get safely to 8:30. Popcorn and hot tea will add the cornerstone you've been looking for! Good luck!! /Jim F

Joyell 01-10-2012 01:26 PM

Peppermint tea, specifically, works for me. Soy Slender chocolate milk is also a nice "snack" when I'm having a sweet craving (90 calories, 4 grams of fiber, 7 grams of protein).

I also plan for a snack - usually almonds or something cruncy with dip (carrots, cucumber slices, celery, etc.).