Community
Notices

Not cofused anymore

Old 04-23-2010, 11:52 AM
FitDay Member

Congrats on your progress. I started July 2008 with my 'get healthy' lifestyle change. I also worked out when I wanted to, doing what I wanted, eating better. Eventually I plateaued and it drove me to new heights in regards to getting healthy. When it's voluntary, you're so much more likely to keep going. (I've lost 46 pounds since then and am under 160 for the first time in my adult life! Not done yet, but feeling great.)

In regards to the question about sugar, I do also watch my sugar intake, which includes fruit. Yes, fruit is fresh and good for you, but it still contains a lot of natural sugars. Might be worth it to cut back on fruit and see what it does for you.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:56 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks Julia
I am eating fruit but no fruit juices except for lemon juice and pure cranberry juice.
I think it is the 1600 caloriesa day that is helping me lose the weight!
Old 04-24-2010, 07:00 PM
FitDay Member

Congratulations Wannabefitgrl! 46 pound weight loss is awesome.
How many calories a day are you eating?
Old 04-25-2010, 01:04 AM
FitDay Member

I've got a similar plan going on in my life, as of this morning I've lost 67 pounds. People are really starting to notice, which is great, the only part that's difficult is when they ask "so what are you doing?". I've tried to answer by saying "just getting healthy", but somehow that's not a very satisfying answer and I got grilled for details. Then I tried saying "I do fitday.com", which didn't help either, because it's not as well known as Weight Watchers, South Beach or Atkins. Maybe I should tell them I'm on the "melstrong diet"?
Old 04-25-2010, 01:35 AM
FitDay Member

Almeeker, I can relate to how unsatisfying it is to say "I'm getting healthy". It's really the truth but it doesn't satisfy those who are asking. But to explain all the things I've done over the last couple of years to lose weight would take such a long time. I just tell them it's not simple and takes dedication, but once you really want something, you'll make it happen.

Mel, I keep my calories around 1800 a day. I work out roughly a half hour or so in the morning on an empty stomach when I get up, then work out again about an hour after work. I try to eat 5-7 meals a day and definitely watch the calories and kinds of foods I'm taking in. I eat relatively low-carb and take in almost no sugar (which includes fruits). I've started making a lot of my own foods, including hummus and salsa, so I can control what's in it and the calories. Plus it all tastes so much better made fresh. Otherwise it's all the usual, lean meats, lots of veggies, whole grains.

One thing that does help me drop pounds is weight training. Even holding onto weights while doing squats/lunges can help build muscle and make you stronger. Best of luck to you! And keep us posted on the weight you're losing.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:36 AM
FitDay Member

Somehow "I'm watching what I eat and exercising" just isn't a good enough answer for some people. So many are looking for that quick fix or magic pill. Old fashioned hard work just isn't attractive. I just thought of a good quote for the inspirational quotes thread: "Advice is what we seek when we already know the answer, but don't want to accept it".
Old 04-25-2010, 01:45 AM
FitDay Member

I left out one of my standard answers, for a while I was saying "Gave up eating, took up running". But then I ate lunch with someone I had said that to and I consumed a huge plate full like a ravening wolf, so that really didn't fly either.

By the way melstrong, I do eat fruit everyday. I have 3 servings, no more no less, and I try to make sure it's a "serving" rather than a "portion", especially when I eat berries or grapes. I try to measure or count them out before I start inhaling. I also make sure that I vary the fruits so that I'm not eating 3 bananas in a given day or three apples etc. Our house is all whole grain breads and cereals now, but I have to say we still use a little sugar here and there. We have 3 young children and I think it's better to give them sugar, honey or pure maple syrup, than artificial sweetener.

Last edited by almeeker; 04-25-2010 at 01:55 AM.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:38 AM
FitDay Member

I answer now by saying i'm eating healthy. No one wants to know or accept the truth if you tell them you are counting calories and logging your food intake. I just find it easier than to hear how "you are losing too much" kind of talk.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:48 PM
FitDay Member

answering you waynegretzky, I know how you feel. Someone at work told me the other day that I'm going to fade to nothing. Granted I feel much more 'normal' now than I ever have, but even I can admit that I could stand to lose another 10+ pounds. I just figure they're a little jealous that working out and eating well is working for me and I look better than they can remember. It is a lot of work, don't be mistaken, but I think everyone online here know that. Congrats for the hard work put it in and please share your little joys (I personally love when I can bang out a few extra reps during my weight-lifting workout or when I have an amazing run one day). Those are the things that keep us all going!
Old 04-27-2010, 04:18 AM
FitDay Member

I think that there are so many people who are obese or 20 or 30 pounds overweight minimum that everyone starts to see that as being the 'normal' or healthy weight.

So when someone does drop a bunch it really stands out and must be wrong it almost seems like!

It doesn't bother me i just keep it private now. I don't need accolades or people to notice, i just want to be healthy!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.