Regards,
Michael
Old 10-30-2011, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mecompco
True dat! (and I do).

Regards,
Michael
I agree, Michael. You are an excellent role model for that concept. How close are you now??

I know I'm always preaching about individual differences (occupational hazard). There are as many ways to lose weight and keep it off as there are people doing it. Michael's point about find a plan you can live with is absolutely critical.

I just wish it didn't take quite so much experimentation sometimes!
Old 10-30-2011, 09:31 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
I agree, Michael. You are an excellent role model for that concept. How close are you now??

I know I'm always preaching about individual differences (occupational hazard). There are as many ways to lose weight and keep it off as there are people doing it. Michael's point about find a plan you can live with is absolutely critical.

I just wish it didn't take quite so much experimentation sometimes!
Well, I seem to have shrunk in height a bit (my spine has a bit of a curve due to the excessive weight), so at 5'8, 165lbs is what FitDay says my "high healthy" weight is, so I'm shooting for that. The last time I weighed 165 was probably in 4th grade. Right now I'm 193.5, so we're in the home stretch.

If it takes another year to get there, that's fine. In fact, I think the slower the better, up to a point. I read an article recently about hormones that people who have lost weight quickly have that causes them to regain weight.

And thanks to you for being a loss maintaining role model!

Regards,
Michael
Old 11-09-2011, 12:55 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for this post.I saved it & will read again.I think ppl going thru any life change can use all the info/help we can find.

Will also share with DD who lost around 100pds with WW.She's kept it off 3 yrs,allows herself a 5pd lee way & does a whole lot of walking & gym work outs.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:39 AM
FitDay Member

That's awesome about your daughter not only losing the weight but keeping it off for 3 years! Did she use FitDay? Does she have any tips to convey that you can share?

I'm sure her continued exercise is the key here.

I like the 5 pound leeway, but the more I think about it, for me personally 3 pounds should be enough.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:57 PM
FitDay Member

Living with the lifestyle is a crucial point. I am a Paleo lifestyler and it takes no effort, no calorie counting. It allows me to just get on with my life knowing I am remaining slim.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:07 AM
FitDay Member

Default A new study regarding maintenance

You’ve Lost Weight. Now How Do You Keep It Off?

By Meredith Melnick | @meredithcm | July 6, 2011

Losing weight is hard enough. Keeping it off is even harder. Now a new study by researchers at Penn State suggests that the techniques that work for losing weight aren’t necessarily the same as those that help keep you slim.

First, the researchers surveyed more than 1,100 people who had achieved significant weight loss and maintained it. The researchers identified 36 weight-loss and weight-maintenance practices that at least 10% of the group used.

Then the researchers conducted a national telephone survey of overweight people (with a BMI of 25 or higher) who had tried to lose weight and keep it off with varying success: about 11% reported successfully losing weight, defined as losing at least 10% of body weight, and 21% were able to maintain that loss for at least a year. The researchers asked them how frequently they employed the 36 previously identified techniques: “often or very often” or “seldom or never.”

The survey found that people who lost weight successfully did so by participating in weight loss programs, cutting back on sugar and carbs, eating healthy snacks, not skipping meals and participating in different types exercise.

Not all techniques that led to initial weight loss were associated with weight maintenance, however. Continually switching up an exercise regimen helped people lose weight, for instance, but those who kept weight off tended to stick with a consistent exercise program. That may be because experimenting with a variety of workout routines may help people as they’re trying to lose weight, but once they’ve found what works for them, they tend to stick with it for maintenance.

The study noted four strategies that were associated with weight maintenance but not loss:

* Eating a diet rich in low-fat proteins
* Following a consistent exercise program
* Rewarding yourself for dieting and exercising
* Reminding yourself of why you need to keep weight off

“It seems somewhat similar to love and marriage,” study author Dr. Christopher Sciamanna, a professor of medicine and public health sciences at Penn State College of Medicine, told WebMD. “What gets you to the altar is likely to be quite different than what keeps you married in the long-term. [And] not recognizing this transition and adapting with different practices will also get you in trouble.”

Still, say many nutrition and obesity experts, the basic underlying principles of weight loss and maintenance are the same: you have to eat a healthy diet and increase your exercise. People who lose weight and keep it off tend to eat significantly healthier foods and do a lot more exercise than the average American.

But what may shift between weight-loss and maintenance phases is a person’s mindset: rather than focusing on actively losing weight in the short term, people have to start focusing on long-term, permanent lifestyle changes and behaviors, if they want to maintain the weight that’s been lost. The key to success, experts agree, is motivation, not necessarily the particulars of your weight-loss program.

The study had some limitations, including the fact that respondents’ weights and behaviors were all self-reported. The study appears in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:07 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Yup, weight loss is 95% mental and 10% physical.

Regards,
Michael