Notices

question starvation mode

Old 10-01-2011, 01:14 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:23 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by shoodii
i once went on a diet of about 1000 calories a day and after about the 3rd week i started gaining weight (ended up weighing about 7 pounds more then when i started). of corse everyone is different, my body type is probably drastically different then yours and the type of food i was eating (hign in fat low in nutrition) probably contributed to the eventual gain in weight, and the fact i wasnt exercising. theres no general number of days or calories that trigger the change because everyone is so different, and there are probably differences in how much people gain. one person may gain 10 pounds in a month some people 3, some people it wont effect enough to make them gain any. just like theres no set date for getting bald or getting your growth spurt. biology is inconvenient that way

but it is a fact that its real, despite alot of peoples opinions that since they didnt gain weight while starving it must not exist (normally i dont want to be a poo but when it comes to matters of health its important to know facts)

im real lazy and dont feel like researching it more then i have previously but heres a link that cites a bunch of studies n stuff.

Starvation Mode
Excellent article, thank for sharing it. And I agree with it. I should be more careful about how I phrase my responses to "starvation mode". I am well aware that the body will try to conserve calories when it is deprived of food. But, it will not cause you to gain weight! No where in the article is there any mention that I could see about potential weight gain or not losing at all.

I've posed this question before--can anyone tell me how, in our Einsteinian world of physics, can the body gain weight when it is taking in less calories than it expends? It simply can't happen! If calories in is less than calories out, you WILL lose weight.

Now, that being said, I agree that finding a balance in calories that will keep your metabolism happy while maintaining a reasonable daily calorie deficit is the best way to go about weight loss.

Regards,
Michael
Old 10-06-2011, 02:41 AM
Super Moderator

I know that if I get below a certain number of calories/day I get pretty cranky. My magic number seems to be 1,100 - if I go below that for more than two days, I start to get tired, headaches, grumpiness, etc. -- so whether I am in a "starvation mode" or not, I'm not a pleasant person to be around regardless!! But I think that if that did not happen to me, I would go below that 1,100 plateau fairly often, as I can feel very full on 1,000-1,100 calories if they are high-protein.

I think if you're listening to your body, feel energetic and healthy, then you're probably doing just fine. If you feel lethargic, dizzy, or have other health symptoms - talk to your doctor.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:44 AM
FitDay Member

Question

Originally Posted by mecompco
I don't buy the whole "starvation mode" thing. I've done 30 days on 0 calories and dropped weight really fast. I've done nine months on 1,000 cals and dropped a couple hundred pounds.

If you're full, stop eating.

Regards,
Michael
Hi!I was wondering how you went 30 days with 0 calories & how much weight you lost when you did that?
Thanks,
B
Old 10-07-2011, 12:03 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by BSummers86
Hi!I was wondering how you went 30 days with 0 calories & how much weight you lost when you did that?
Thanks,
B
Well, I've done it twice. I don't recommend it, and I'll likely never do it again (and didn't on this weight loss journey).

But, since you ask, it's really pretty easy after the first couple of days (and the first is the hardest). Fasting is really a unique experience and it's amazing how hunger just goes away after a couple of days. Really, I could have gone longer but started experiencing bad muscle cramps. It really is mostly a mental thing.

As to actual weight loss, I really can't say for sure. I never weighed "before" as I was too heavy for a scale. I'd have to estimate 30 to 50 pounds, but I was well into the "400s" so lighter folks might lose less.

Really, I've lost weight almost as fast eating a reasonable amount of "real food" and it's been much more enjoyable.

Regards,
Michael