Notices

Very Important for stable weight loss

Old 09-27-2011, 06:58 PM
FitDay Member

Default Very Important for stable weight loss

Support is the key to weight loss. I have just lost 40 lbs and have never been this thin in my life, let alone not starving from some fad diet. I have always had groups of people who were in the same position as me as my support but honestly it just doesnt work that way. You have to get someone in your life who is into fitness and health and who does not have food 'issues' and they will help keep you on track. Jabbering away with friends who are also overweight and also love to eat is NEVER gonna work, trust me, I have been thru it over and over for the past 30 years of my life until now. You are your own worse enemy when it comes to eating. We have tremendous power to sabotage ourselves and thats why having someone stable and strong beside you is so important.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:39 AM
FitDay Member

Hi, and

to FitDay!

I agree that having someone there for support, encouragement, accountability, and even for the challenge is a big part of the puzzle. This has been a big part of my motivation, challenging a friend who is losing weight as well.

But it also boils down to determination, doing it for yourself for no other reason but for yourself. Yes "we have tremendous power to sabotage ourselves" but we also have the inner strength to walk across a hot bed of coals ('firewalking') if we so choose...

Old 09-28-2011, 12:44 AM
FitDay Member

I agree. I credit some of my success this time to a friend who is very active. Having someone to ski, golf or walk with helps. Being able to talk to them about weight loss also helps. Mary
Old 09-28-2011, 04:03 AM
Super Moderator

Lightbulb

'Jabbering away with friends who are also overweight and also love to eat is NEVER gonna work, trust me,'

So true! Support is key - at the very least, it keeps you focused when the other person is AS MOTIVATED as you are. If they aren't as motivated as you are, there's the danger that they will drag you down with backsliding and excuses. On the other hand, if you're a 'coaching' type of personality, you can contribute something to the relationship by helping that other person stay strong if they ask for your help.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:16 AM
FitDay Member

Agreed! I have a friend who, whenever I suggest losing a few pounds, decides she will too and turns it into a big competition! It makes me so !! What I need is motivation, not competition.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:20 AM
Super Moderator

Support is very helpful, it can give you the motivation to succeed.

However, when you rely on someone else for that support it is easy to lose the motivation when the support is no longer there.

I like to surround my self with people who are fun and truly nice people. no matter what size they are.

I like eating healthy so I don't let their food choices bother me. Saying no thanks to the junk is fairly easy when I know it will just make me feel bloated and tired.

If you want to be healthy and fit, no one can stop you because it is your decision to just do it or to use an excuse to just give up.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:10 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Shira81
Jabbering away with friends who are also overweight and also love to eat is NEVER gonna work, trust me,
Maybe I misunderstand but isn't that what we are all doing here. Talking with people who are in or have been in roughly the same situation as we are or were. I think that is why it works. We know how to encourage each other to overcome what we are facing because we have been there.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:26 AM
FitDay Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, I think the OP was referring to people that like to talk about losing weight, and how they've done this diet and that fad yet really don't try to lose it.
Whereas here, we're all either trying to lose, or maintaining, and we're serious about it, maybe we love to eat, but we're replacing chips with veggies or whatever.
The picture in my head that I got from "Jabbering away with friends who are also overweight and also love to eat is NEVER gonna work, trust me", was a group of over weight females sitting on couches saying how much weight they're going to lose with thier new fad, scarfing down chocolate and chips.
Maybe that's just me, but that's how I read it.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:33 PM
FitDay Member

If you hate exercise but you still want to lose weight, you may be searching for diets that will allow you to lose weight without having to spend hours in the gym. It’s definitely possible to lose weight without working out. You simply need to reduce your calorie intake so you are eating fewer calories than you burn during your normal activities.