Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Weight Loss Tips
Instant Gratification !!!! (In weight loss) >

Instant Gratification !!!! (In weight loss)

Community
Notices

Instant Gratification !!!! (In weight loss)

Old 09-13-2011, 03:53 AM
FitDay Member

Default Instant Gratification !!!! (In weight loss)

With regards to eating instant gratification is probably a major reason we gain weight.
But, with a lifestyle change and loosing how do you get your mind set to accept a gradual and healthy weight loss?
Granted I'm doing well by all accounts, but for some reason I long to see spectacular results immediately!!
My rational brain tells me to be patient ,but I get ahead of myself and want to see the end result NOW !!!, not in a year!!!
How do those of you who have stuck it out and reached your goals deal with this? Or is it just me ???
Old 09-13-2011, 04:09 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Ken, it's rough! I like instant gratification as much as anyone but having gone to extremes in past weight loss endeavors I must say that a more reasonable approach is just about as fast and much more enjoyable.

I guess we just have to make the attempt to not worry about it. If we are confident that we are keeping (on average) a calorie deficit then the weight will continue to peel off. Other than cutting calories severely and/or exercising eight hours a day I don't know how to speed things up.

Really, though, the pounds didn't go on overnight why should we expect them to come off fast? Personally, I'm amazed at how fast the do go if you eat reasonably well.

Regards,
Michael
Old 09-13-2011, 05:06 AM
FitDay Member

First of all, you're definitely not alone in wanting immediate results! I think the issue is that once we make the decision and the commitment to lose weight, we think that because our minds are in the right place, therefore our bodies should be as well - in short, our minds are thin and fit, so our bodies should be too! I don't think this is so far from the truth, but accepting that achieving that outcome is not fast is not quite as simple.

I'll share my epiphany with you. Granted, I'm not at my goal just yet (probably another 30 pounds or so), but once I figured this out, it became MUCH easier to accept the reality that weight loss takes time. Ready? This is how I look at it: I used to think that my mind and my body were fighting each other, because my mind was 'thin' (figuratively speaking) but my body wasn't. Then I realized that they weren't fighting each other at all, but rather coming together to meet at the same point in the middle. Imagine, say, 2 cars, one coming from the east and the other from the west, both going to the same location in the center. Once I could visualize my efforts as being one towards balance, it became much easier to be more patient and to stop the mental tendency towards unrealistic expectations. It also helped me to overcome the tendency to accept my mind and hate my body, and I started to look at both as valuable.

The other thing that's helped me from Day 1 is to look at every single food/health-related decision as a choice, and to take control of that choice and make it a good one. Taking responsibility in small doses, bite by bite and workout by workout, has played a huge role in my success. Breaking it down and focusing on moment-by-moment and daily choices helps me to remember that this is a journey for life, and I'm not keen on speeding up my life.

Hope that helps; I wish you much encouragement.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:37 AM
FitDay Member

There are a couple of things that help me. First of all, I consistently say to myself that it's not about being a certain size or a certain weight that's important, it's about being healthy and leading a healthy lifestyle and living my life in such a way that I want my children to emulate. That being said it is hard sometimes to keep it going day in and day out especially when you're on a plateau. So I do other things, I challenge myself to new workouts, I put new goals out there all the time etc etc. I'm always looking for something to keep me challenged. Sometimes I'll buy something new for an event and challenge myself to get in to that new smaller size, etc etc.

Last edited by almeeker; 09-13-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:16 AM
FitDay Member

Finding sources for small doses of instant gratification works for me. I get a thrill out of hiting 3000 calories used on an active day or keeping my intake below 1500. Little gratifications help. Look at you graph when needing some support. It shows the whole picture of your weight loss = not just the pound the scales is trying to add back on.

Make an effort to dress better to show the improvement and enjoy the comments.

Give yourself rewards for little goals reached. I saw a sign for "Fat Free Flowers" the other day. Thought that was a great advertising gimmic and a reminded that rewards don't have to be fattening. Mary
Old 09-13-2011, 06:20 AM
FitDay Member

Almeeker U r awesome!!! Im so excited for u!!! Keep up the good work..
Old 09-13-2011, 06:23 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mecompco
Ken, it's rough! I like instant gratification as much as anyone but having gone to extremes in past weight loss endeavors I must say that a more reasonable approach is just about as fast and much more enjoyable.

I guess we just have to make the attempt to not worry about it. If we are confident that we are keeping (on average) a calorie deficit then the weight will continue to peel off. Other than cutting calories severely and/or exercising eight hours a day I don't know how to speed things up.

Really, though, the pounds didn't go on overnight why should we expect them to come off fast? Personally, I'm amazed at how fast the do go if you eat reasonably well.

Regards,
Michael
Im so amazed at you guys weight loss!!!! really! that makes me excited for my weight loss endeavor.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:32 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by watkins35120
Im so amazed at you guys weight loss!!!! really! that makes me excited for my weight loss endeavor.
Looks like you're off to a pretty good start and have the right attitude. A reasonably steady pace is the way to do this. There is nothing wrong with one to two pounds a week and you'll be pleasantly surprised that some weeks may be even better.

Regards,
Michael
Old 09-13-2011, 08:37 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by snafuken
With regards to eating instant gratification is probably a major reason we gain weight.
But, with a lifestyle change and loosing how do you get your mind set to accept a gradual and healthy weight loss?
Granted I'm doing well by all accounts, but for some reason I long to see spectacular results immediately!!
My rational brain tells me to be patient ,but I get ahead of myself and want to see the end result NOW !!!, not in a year!!!
How do those of you who have stuck it out and reached your goals deal with this? Or is it just me ???
I believe that successful weightloss must be achieved through lifestyle change. And never use the 4-letter word "Diet". It's a lifestyle change. The alignment of your mind, body, and mouth. As you see more and more pounds shed, you will find it so much easier to maintain the lifestyle change. It's not depriving at all.

I work long hours in an office job, work through lunch far too often, and often found it easier to get that quick take-out solution for a meal or 2 (or many) during a week. And even if you think you are making a 'healthier choice' in your take-out opportunities, you probably are not. I found that I was far more successful when I took that few minutes in the morning to pack a healthy lunch, or make sure I go home for the healthy supper instead of grabbing take-out on the way to a meeting or whatever will occupy your evening.

I have struggled with my weight for years. My whole life. I find it easy to point the finger at all of the outside issues as to why I'm big. But finally I had to point the finger inward to myself. Stop lieing to myself, and start making 'me' a priority.

The world has not stopped because I quit working through lunch! I workout, or walk at lunch, and make the time to eat healthy.

It's about balance. I still enjoy some wine, or a good bbq. It's about balance and making it all fit into your new lifestyle. And when you find that balance, it will not seem like a 'waiting game' to get to your goal. Instead you will look backward and be thankful that you have taken on this journey.

The people around you deserve it.....they deserve you to take the time to get healthy. And you deserve it too.

When I quit being on a diet and started making this a way of my life, it has become perfectly clear for me, and much easier. And very rewarding!!

I've been on this journey for almost a year. I started using Fitday in January 2011 and am now 80 lbs lighter! I still have a ways to go. I feel excellent physically, but even better... I feel great mentally!

My body needs it, but my mind wants it. Align your universe!

Regards and good luck.

Dianne

Last edited by dgoyetche; 09-13-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

Some things that make living a healthy and fit lifestyle worth it.

1. FitDay! The support, kudos and kick in the ass when I need it! Open 24/7!
2. I seldom weigh myself anymore, I have a 5 pound "safe zone"so I instant happiness when I do weigh!
3. I enjoy a really good cheat. (not crappy processed cheesecake but real Italian ricotta cheesecake!) without guilt
because I know my body will burn it since it is only occasionally.
4. I look at before pics and old body measurements.
5. I donated all my clothes that got too big.
6. The best friend I used to have who was honest enough to tell me the truth when I asked (good or bad) and didn't argue that his way was the only way. The gratification was just knowing I had someone who not only lived a healthy and active lifestyle but also liked to talk about health, diet, fitness and exercise as much as me.

Losing the weight is hard regardless of how much or how you gained it. Some people shoot for their goal and get there more quickly. It doesn't mean it was easy for them. It just seems that it is, to those who are not there yet.

In my opinion...

Maintaining is easier because you learned enough to actually do it. You have overcome the reasons you gained weight, whether it was medical or overeating. I find that when you get to the "end" goal you realize it isn't all about maintaining. You have developed a power to "play" with your results.You realize you are in control of the game. You don't have to lose the game unless you choose to give up.

I think those who lost the weight and maintain it realize it isn't a "diet". It's become their normal healthy, fit and active lifestyle.

Instant gratification for me is as simple as making one serving of peach cobbler instead of a whole pan full. I fit it into my macros, my body doesn't get all bloated, sluggish and tired. I don't have the "Why did I eat that? Now I have to start all over because I pigged out" thoughts beating me up!

When the weekend hits my body feels good from eating healthy all week so I feel like I look better. I don't feel like I have to find something that looks good on me, any of my clothing is a good choice so my confidence is boosted. I also find that I have a lot more good hair days, lol! (Though I think that is a whole other weight related issue.)