FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Weight Loss Tips (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/)
-   -   Hear my story? College tips? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/5147-hear-my-story-college-tips.html)

Freshman30 09-05-2011 10:44 AM

Hear my story? College tips?

Well, I was on here with a different name about a year ago. I lost 25 pounds in a short amount of time. Then I had an accident (boiling water stripped the skin off my leg and I couldn't exercise for about a month and a half) and after I was all healed and ready to go, my schedule was too hectic to remember my weight loss goals.

I just started college. I've gained about 30 pounds since last May due to stress eating and lack of exercise. I've never been this overweight in my life. Living at home makes college life a bit easier but I still work 18 hours a week and I'm pre-pharmacy so studying takes up a LOT of time.

As of late, my exercise regimen is this: I bike 6.5 miles on Saturday and Sunday mornings (and occasionally on Tuesdays), and I run on most Thursday mornings but sometimes I have to use the mornings to study.

Any tips on finding time to exercise with crazy hours? How about short, effective workouts? Stress-reducing tips are welcome too! As I write this, I'm looking at a 14 page lab.

sarahnevin 09-05-2011 03:33 PM

some tips

When I first started college I found my schedule was very busy and I really had to make exercise something of a priority. When I had time off, or a later class I would exercise. I found that I was more motivated when I worked out in the morning because when I had a full day of classes exercising at the end of the day was almost out of the question... all I wanted to do was sleep. I would go to the gym early in the morning, work out for 30-45 minutes and give myself 30 minutes to get ready for class. The more easier thing to do was to watch my diet. I made sure to eat pretty healthy and exercised 4-5 days a week only 30 minutes or so. Weight loss was slow, but it stayed off.

dysonsphere 09-06-2011 01:18 AM

Eat less. Diet controls weight and exercise controls what we are made of (essentially). Exercise is healthy and raises metabolism but you need a calorie deficit. If you don't believe it check out an olympic heavyweight weight lifter. Very healthy and very fat.

mecompco 09-06-2011 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by dysonsphere (Post 55867)
Eat less. Diet controls weight and exercise controls what we are made of (essentially). Exercise is healthy and raises metabolism but you need a calorie deficit. If you don't believe it check out an olympic heavyweight weight lifter. Very healthy and very fat.

Yup, you can't out-exercise a poor diet. But if you control your calories AND do some modest amount of daily exercise that is when the real magic happens and weight starts to peel off.

Regards,
Michael

ripemango 09-06-2011 04:34 PM

it sounds like u work out 3 times a week right, which seems fine esp considering the workouts you describe. I would suggest logging your food on fitday and basically just watching your calorie intake.
One thing to consider that not everyone dieting must, is making sure you are getting enough carbohydrates. If you are in school for pharmacy, I dont have to tell you that all that mental activity can be exhausting. (You may already know all of this from some of the science classes you've had, I'm just reminding you). Brain cells use glucose as its fuel, which must constantly be replenished since neurons do not store glucose. That fuel only comes from carbohydrates. Too little carbohydrates can impede your ability to concentrate, learn, and retain information. You should strive for 40-65% of your calories coming from carbs. Many people today hear carbs and immediately think of white bread, pasta, etc. Opt for starches and sugars in the form of healthy grains (whole wheat pasta, whole wheat breads, brown rice, steel cut oats, Bulgar) and legumes, fruits and vegetables. Too much sugar or refined carbohydrates at one time can actually deprive your brain of glucose. Thus, eating healthy carbohydrates is best for your waistline and brain functioning.
I suspect pharmacy school will be the time in your life you need your brain to be functioning at its fullest capacity. Give it the energy it needs!

Stress. Ugggh, dont ya just hate it! probably has something to do with your overeating and gaining weight while in school. At my university, the dept. of student life offers for FREE to any student a 12 wk course in stress management. Your school may have something as well. It can be very reassuring being surrounded by other students trying their hardest and knowing you're not alone with your stress. We also have psychologists you can see regularly for free as well. The issue most often seen is, you guessed it, stress. So, they're well equipped with resources that you are already paying for with your student service fees.
I strongly recommend focused breathing or mindfulness meditation. Google either. I kind of feel like focused breathing is essentially meditating, but some people do not like the term meditation due to its religious connotations. I think some people just feel more comfortable saying they practice focused breathing vs meditation. Meditation does not have to do with anything religious or spiritual. I meditate and am not religious. I have found it to be very helpful and something I wish I had discovered as an undergrad.

Freshman30 09-10-2011 10:28 AM

Thank you all so much! I am logging my meals and I've cut my calories quite a bit (but not to a grossly unhealthy amount). It's only been a few days but I think eating healthier has actually helped me manage my stress a bit.

Mecompco- Before I went off track earlier in the year, I remember that you replied to a few other threads I'd posted before I left. I'm really happy to see that you're still here and going strong. :]