Notices

Vacation Login

Old 08-14-2011, 01:06 AM
FitDay Member

Default Vacation Login

I am heading off for 12 days this afternoon. I am starting my own forum as a quick way to log in and maintain control of my eating. My starting weight is 171.4 -- up from 167 due to a week of too much food and wine and little exercise -- a great way to prep for holidays.

My goals are to be under 170 when I get home, have lots of exercise, there is a pool and fitness centre where I'm staying so I will swim everyday and use the fitness centre at least 4 times. 5 or 6 days at DisneyWorld should burn off a fair # of calories. Food control -- below 2000 calories a day, alcohol included.

My most important goal -- get right back into fitness routine when I get back. That will be easier to do if I keep up my fitness mindset when I'm away.

Mary
Old 08-16-2011, 02:32 PM
FitDay Member

So far so bad. Problem of not enough time and slow internet. I don't expect I will be able to log my food as things are just going to get busier. I'll try to keep my eating under control and get lots of exercise. Went for a two K walk tonight pushing the baby stroller. Visited the magic Kingdom today plus a swim. Busy day planned for tomorrow. Food reasonable but scary when not tracking it. Mary
Old 08-16-2011, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

Keep fighting the good fight, Mary. Glad you checked in. Have fun!!
Old 08-16-2011, 11:06 PM
FitDay Premium Member

At least write everything down on paper so you can enter it when you're able. That helps me stay accountable and makes it harder to go totally overboard. It will also keep your "numbers" accurate. Have fun, do your best and I know you'll get right back to normal when you're home.

Regards,
Michael
Old 08-16-2011, 11:23 PM
FitDay Member

Most important... HAVE FUN!

You're on holiday. These are the days to indulge yourself a bit. I'm not suggesting you go crazy but if you have a great time and put on a pound or 3 that will be better for you than losing 2 pounds whilst sucking lemons all week!
Old 08-18-2011, 06:25 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Hi Mary,
I agree with the others... the first rule is to have fun, then worry about managing your weight.

I just got back from a 2 week vacation with lots of old friends and family, good food and drink, and not much rigorous exercise, but some of walking a some hiking. I definitely picked up a few pounds, but all in all I was pretty happy with myself.

A couple of tricks that worked (mostly) for me were:
1.) As much as I love good bakeries, I avoided them especially the temptations at breakfast. This was about the only NO rule I enforced on myself.

2.) When the option was available I picked fruit as a side or occassionally the main course. This work well for breakfast and sometimes lunch.

3.) I tried to stop for a coffee with whatever I wanted in it, but no sweets, every afternoon. That way I wasn't starving for dinner and got a little jolt so I could keep going w/o a nap. BTW this was easy to do as I was in OR and WA with tons of great coffee shops.

4.) At dinner (when the beer and wine was always flowing!) I started by drinking a big glass of water. One of the problems I have with travel is staying hydrated. I am usually on the over-hydrated side at home, but find it more convenient to stay a little under hydrated when I travel to avoid having to make pit stops every hour. So by dinner time I am often thirstier than I realize and have been know to chug the first glass of beer or wine without even realizing it .

5.) No junk food. If the offerings weren't something I was really looking forward to, I would either skip it or substitute a protein bar. Again I didn't have to invoke this rule very often being with foodie people in OR and WA.

6.) Pack a few healthy snacks to keep yourself fed, and to substitute when burgers and fries are the only offering.

Some how I just can't image you letting yourself go totally wild on the fatty foods, but I know how a couple of glasses of wine can over rule even the firmest of resolve .
Old 08-27-2011, 06:01 AM
FitDay Member

Back and ready to get back at journalling. I'm afraid login in gave way to the pool and Dsiney world. Having the house stocked with healthy food worked well and I think my weight is likely the same as before I went. I was having a heavy day the day I left and todays weight is below that. I'll know better in a couple days whether I actually lost with all the activity. We usually packed snacks so there was no need for funnel cakes or Disney Burgers. Ice Cream was essential a couple days. With several young kids in the group most of us were too tired for much drinking in the evening and knew there would be no sleeping in the next morning.

Had a good time. Home safely and ready to get back to a healthier lifestyle. I'm actually craving good healthy food. My grocery shopping today was all about fresh fruit, veggies and meat with a bit of healthy rye bread.

I did have a slight craving for a chocolate bar but decided it was not worth the 220 calories. If my brand had been available I'd likely have gotten one. See you all in next weeks motivational thread and the challange. Thanks for your support.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

Mary, I'm glad you had a good trip, a safe trip, and what sounds like a successful trip. It's good to see you back .
Old 08-27-2011, 01:21 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Welcome back Mary.
I am glad to see that you didn't stress out about your diet, and yet still stayed true to the plan
Well done, it looks like you had a great time!
Old 09-12-2011, 06:44 AM
FitDay Member

Enjoy your holiday but you may find that your aspirations to keep fit during your time there is extremly optimistic