FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Weight Loss Tips (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/)
-   -   Columbus Day Lose 10% of Your Body Weight Challenge (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/4629-columbus-day-lose-10%25-your-body-weight-challenge.html)

mecompco 07-03-2011 10:11 PM

Columbus Day Lose 10% of Your Body Weight Challenge

You "old timers" know how this works, for newbies, we'll do this the same way as the Fourth of July Challenge. This will be the discussion thread and we'll have a Check-in thread so everyone can post their starting info and updates.

So, the goal of this challenge is to lose 10% of our body weight (of course, you're welcome to go for more or less, if you wish).

For example, I'm at 226.5 as of this morning, so my goal is (rounded off) to lose 23 pounds by Columbus Day, which would put me at 203.5 pounds (I'll actually be going for 199 or 12%).

We've got 105 days to get this done, so let's go!

Regards,
Michael

PS If you don't care for "Columbus Day" for whatever reason, it's certainly OK to call this the "October 10th Challenge". :)

DancinBear2 07-04-2011 01:36 AM

I'm in, 10% for me would also be 23 pounds, but I am going to shoot for a 26 pound loss and set my target at 205 pounds. At the end of this challenge I should move from the Obese category to the overweight category.

Kumochi 07-04-2011 03:33 AM

I'm in and I'm calling it the Thanksgiving Day Challange ehh. I should be out of the obese area soon. I was only down 5 pounds last challange although I'm taking that as a win. Last year for the same period I gained 5. This Challange I'll only have one vacation to deal with. Mary

peppy35 07-04-2011 03:39 AM

I'm in - I need to lose 22 lbs to get myself closer to my goal weight of 180 by the end of this year. Good luck all. :)

ChibiSub 07-04-2011 03:46 AM

This should be doable for me, so I am in! My 10% is 16 pounds, but actually by that time I am hoping to lose 28 pounds (2 pounds a week). So I am going to aim for 22 pounds to be in between the two.

wowgirl88 07-04-2011 09:07 AM

I'm in too. Been a bit AFK for a week or so, and away from 'home', actually looking forward to the gym this afternoon.
My weight is 105kgs, so going to go got 94kgs for the challenge.

Thanks for starting it Michael. :)

MAIN80 07-04-2011 03:53 PM

I am in!

I complete this I get to my goal, which I had planned to reach by Sept. 1, so I am still staying with my date of Sept. 1. I will try to lose the 14 pounds by that time.

My best wishes to all!

kaitycuddle 07-04-2011 10:50 PM

I'm in! :) I need to lose 12.8 lbs by October 10. I'm new here so I'm not sure how I'll do with updating, but regardless I hope I reach the target!

poetstorm 07-04-2011 11:44 PM

Count me in too. :) I weigh 182 right now so I need to lose 18. I'm going to try to shoot for 20 pounds. Brand new to FitDay and I already lost 3 pounds in less than a week. :)

taubele 07-05-2011 02:23 AM

I'm in :) I weigh 177 right now (I've upticked a bit) so I'm going to round up to 18 and aim for 159 lbs. I'm ACTUALLY going to aim for 150 lbs., which is a 27 lb. loss for me, but this challenge is a good way to remember that slow and steady usually wins the race, regardless :) Anywhere between 18 and 27 would be great.

I'd just love to be 150, and into my healthy range, by my best friend's wedding, which is October 15th :D

bojibridge 07-06-2011 09:10 AM

Sure!

Dude, I'll join a challenge, although frankly, right now, even losing 1 lb. seems to be a challenge. So, I'm at 189, so I'll go for 19 lbs. I'm really running into trouble convincing myself to stay away from huge portions of junk food... actually just huge portions in general. Anyway, sign me up!

Kumochi 07-07-2011 02:48 AM

Just wanted to say thanks again for the Challange. I just realized - as I was adjusting my goal to meet this challange - how much it helps in making me realize how fast time flies and that this process does not need to be done by tomorrow. During the next 3 months I will reach several new lows. In two weeks I will no longer be in the obese area, then 1/2 way through I will be lower than I have been since my daughter -- who turns 40 this year was 2, third I will be close to my original goal by the end of the challange. I hate to wish away the summer - so slow and steady is fine. Mary

VirusInside 07-07-2011 08:27 AM

It's on! I'm looking to hit the 260's at the end of this.

Bubbs21 07-10-2011 02:04 PM

Count me in!

Summer is always the toughest with BBQ's, vacations, friends and family events.

I am currenlty sitting at 220, so a 10% reduction will brreak the '2's and get me to 198. Although I would prefer to hit 190-195, I know it will be tough with 3 weddings thrown in there as well. Wishing everyone strength and determination.

mecompco 07-10-2011 10:26 PM

I'll agree, summer is tough! Especially for folks like me who have the summer "off" from their regular employment.

I had a little bounce up after three days at camp but four days later it was gone, plus a couple more. It truly is amazing how much fluid weight one can retain and how fast it can go away.

Anyway, 2.5 lbs. down for this week's weigh-in which is great. 25 lbs. to go to break into the Onederful Ones.

Have a great week, everyone!

Regards,
Michael

Rubystars 07-11-2011 12:21 AM

Let's see at 298 I would have to lose around 30 lbs. I don't know if I will do that or not that quickly. I do think I will lose at least 15 though so we'll see what happens. :)

wildbeanerz 07-11-2011 01:03 AM

I'm in :)

I would have liked to start this at 290 which was my lowest about two weeks ago but some things beyond my control happened and after lots of eating out I bounced up to 294.8 but am now at 292.0.

So my start weight is 292 lbs putting my 10% at 29 lbs with an ending weight of 263 lbs.

Right now towards the end of August I have a family picnic that I should attend. Most years I try not to go to it, but this year I may have to make an appearance as long as it doesn't fall on the weekend post-spay surgery for my puppy. (Won't leave her alone for a few days) It is actually a selfish thing but most of my hubby's family are very catty and snobbish and I wanna be able to say "Yeah, I've lost some weight" but probably keep to myself that by that point it will be around 50lbs or more! .... Is that really wrong? :rolleyes:

bojibridge 07-11-2011 02:48 AM

Well, I only lost 1 lb. this first week, although, truthfully, I signed up on Wednesday, so I guess it hasn't been a week really.

Eating healthily is really awesome, I'm finding, and surprisingly more doable than I made it out to be (often the problem, you know?) However, as a diabetic, I'm running into trouble because I've spent that last three days with an almost constant low blood sugar. I'm adjusting my insulin, but that's trial and error unfortunately. In the meantime, all my hard work is somewhat nullified by the fact that I have to drink 4-5 cups of OJ in a day, and at 110 calories a cup, well... you get my drift. I guess nothing worth having isn't going to be a bit of a pain to earn!

Here's to another successful week!

Joanna

ambacrombie 07-11-2011 03:31 AM

I'm in

Hi, I'm new (I've been lurking reading the forum) I was on the clean eating board for a week or so but it's closing down and I've used fit day before.
I'm in for the Columbus Day challenge...I HOPE I've lost more but since I stalled out after about 2-3 lb I might not....I was @ 148 this morning so....about 14 lb should be my goal....I do mostly clean eating 1200 or more calories a day, 5-6 meals a day and at least 1/2 hour of Jillian Michael's DVD or biking a day....AND I got down to 144:D @ Christmastime but ballooned back up to like 154 in Jan....:eek:
So how do I check in and how often are we supposed to check in?
ambacrombie...

lee201255 07-12-2011 04:58 AM

I'm in

Sweet this works out to a nice round number for me

I weighed in at 222 today so 10% is 22lbs putting me right at 200lbs

mecompco 07-12-2011 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by lee201255 (Post 50613)
Sweet this works out to a nice round number for me

I weighed in at 222 today so 10% is 22lbs putting me right at 200lbs

Cool beans! Glad to have another "loser" aboard. :D

We're pretty much shooting for the same 10/10 goal (I'd REALLY like to see 199), so let's git-r-done!

Regards,
Michael

zahut 07-12-2011 12:07 PM

I am in, just a little late! I am at 232 today, so that would put me at 209.

kcolville 07-13-2011 05:35 AM

Hey Guys,

I'm back; well actually I never left. I kept reading the posts but did not update everyone on my own struggles. I've been battling myself for weeks. I have put my extreme effort forth with watching what I eat and working out- it seems to not even budge the scale (if not go UP).

Today I feel like breaking down- weighed in at 196. I just don't understand. I've been eating around 1,300 calories (logging pretty much every last thing!) and workings out for 50 minutes- hills, running, elliptical etc.. (4-5 days a week).

What is wrong with me? What can I do differently? Why can't I get out of this slump?

Right now the scale is my worst enemy!!

mecompco 07-13-2011 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by kcolville (Post 50710)
Hey Guys,

I'm back; well actually I never left. I kept reading the posts but did not update everyone on my own struggles. I've been battling myself for weeks. I have put my extreme effort forth with watching what I eat and working out- it seems to not even budge the scale (if not go UP).

Today I feel like breaking down- weighed in at 196. I just don't understand. I've been eating around 1,300 calories (logging pretty much every last thing!) and workings out for 50 minutes- hills, running, elliptical etc.. (4-5 days a week).

What is wrong with me? What can I do differently? Why can't I get out of this slump?

Right now the scale is my worst enemy!!

Kaitlin, I was just thinking we'd not heard from you for a while. Sounds like you're doing everything right. Didn't you have a similar plateau a while back?

Have you tried changing your calorie ratios or foods? I think sometimes our bodies just adapt to what we're doing and we need to change things up a bit once in a while. Perhaps even (horrors!) try upping the cals a bit (some more protein, perhaps)? Suprisingly, I've been losing as fast or faster eating (on average) a few more cals.

Just some thoughts.

Regards,
Michael

mecompco 07-13-2011 11:46 PM

An early check-in. Down another couple of pounds. I will admit I've not been doing any "exercise" per se, but have been very active outside working on stuff around the house, garage, and our new egg producing endeavour. This level of activity seems to be keeping my calorie burn at an acceptable level.

Attending the ABS Hammer-in Fri, Sat and Sunday--should be a good workout. A few hours a day in front of a forge banging on hot steel (1084 high carbon, for anyone who cares ;)) with a 3 lb. hammer in the July heat will burn some cals!

Keep up the good work, everyone.

Regards,
Michael

Kumochi 07-14-2011 12:31 AM

Checking in early because tomorrow's the full moon. Losing slow but losing. I'm looking at doing a pineapple fast for 2 days next week just to detox and maybe shake up my system. Have to feed family this weekend - off to buy some healthy food for them. Mary

kcolville 07-14-2011 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by mecompco (Post 50762)
Kaitlin, I was just thinking we'd not heard from you for a while. Sounds like you're doing everything right. Didn't you have a similar plateau a while back?

Have you tried changing your calorie ratios or foods? I think sometimes our bodies just adapt to what we're doing and we need to change things up a bit once in a while. Perhaps even (horrors!) try upping the cals a bit (some more protein, perhaps)? Suprisingly, I've been losing as fast or faster eating (on average) a few more cals.

Just some thoughts.

Regards,
Michael

Michael, My calorie intake is about 1,300- and i may try upping it to 1,500. I'm at 193.6 this morning which was a nice sight to see. Hopefully i'll be at 193 after this weekend :)

mecompco 07-21-2011 10:32 PM

Another week down--how's everyone doing?

My scale has been pretty cooperative lately, which is nice. Down another four pounds this week for a total of 9.5 so far. 199 is coming fast! :D

Have a great week!

Regards,
Michael

DancinBear2 07-22-2011 01:47 AM

My scale has also been cooperating lately. I weighed myself on the Friday Morning berfore I started my holidays I was at 227, when I returned on Monday (10 days later) I weighed in at 220, down 7 pounds.

Michael,
As a friendly challenge, let's see who gets to 199 first.

mecompco 07-22-2011 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by DancinBear2 (Post 51635)
My scale has also been cooperating lately. I weighed myself on the Friday Morning berfore I started my holidays I was at 227, when I returned on Monday (10 days later) I weighed in at 220, down 7 pounds.

Michael,
As a friendly challenge, let's see who gets to 199 first.

Great job, Matt! And I accept the challenge. I'm figuring early to mid September if I continue to lose at my current pace. Whichever one of us gets there first will hold the door open for the other. :D

Regards,
Michael

molly221 07-22-2011 03:33 AM

I see my last check in date was 1 month ago and it shows. I have gained 10 pounds. Uhg.

This challenge works for me. I am at 180 and will round up to 20 pounds lost by Columbus Day.

So glad to have my walk done for the morning since it will be 95 here.

DancinBear2 07-22-2011 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by mecompco (Post 51639)
Great job, Matt! And I accept the challenge. I'm figuring early to mid September if I continue to lose at my current pace. Whichever one of us gets there first will hold the door open for the other. :D

Regards,
Michael

I am loosing about 3 pounds per week so that should put me around the same time period if my rate continues. It should be a fun race, good luck to you.

mecompco 07-30-2011 12:13 AM

How's everyone doing? I've stayed about the same this week, though I did weigh in this morning AFTER three cups of coffee and a nice steak, eggs and toast breakfast and was still at 217 (I usually weigh before breakfast).

I've gotta say, I do love a nice high protein and moderate fat breakfast! 3oz. of lean steak, a couple day old (from my chickens) eggs and a couple slices of 35 calorie WW toast with real butter--yum! And it sticks with me very well--my body burns off a high carb breakfast almost before I'm out the door.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Regards,
Michael

Kumochi 07-30-2011 12:24 AM

I agree with the high protein breakfast Michael. Any day I know I'm not going to have food available for 6 hours or so after breakfast I go for bacon and eggs with low calorie toast, and some fruit. I have also started doing a protein shake instead of breakfast on ordinary days. One day last week I did both when I figured lunch might not happen till very late. When I have my cereal breakfast I need to have my next meal by 12 or I am fading - sometimes by 11 even.

Feeling more motivated today. Sorta lost it yesterday however not too much damage done -- AS LONG AS I GET BACK ON TRACK! The shouting was for me. Family visiting this weekend, however I plan on making them eat healthy and exercise with me.

Off to the farmers market for farm fresh eggs and veggies. I'm craving yellow beans. Now that's a healthy craving - if I leave the butter off them. Have a great day everyone. Mary

hmundra 07-30-2011 12:35 AM

Can I join in.

I know it is kind of late but I still want to join in.My current weight is 148.4 ,I want to lose 15 at least by thanksgiving.

peppy35 07-30-2011 04:26 AM

:(

I lost it this week either I had to much on my mind or just "didn't care anymore". I fell off the wagon and it left me behind!!!! I only gained .6lb but that is going the wrong way :eek: I had no ambition to log in my food or my activities for a couple of days... may have been the brutal heat or a mild bout of doubting that I could continue doing this. I know I was going out for dinner with friends and one of which is very set in her ways if you don't talk to her about everything and anything going on in your life she can be very opiniated - she actually surprised me in asking if I had lost wieght and said I looked good and on other topics of conversation she was actually very open to hearing what we said and accepting what we decided in dealing with our own issues. (overall a good evenign was had). Now i just need to refocus and find that dammed wagon!!!!:rolleyes:

bojibridge 07-30-2011 05:45 AM

I totally emphathize, peppy! And I understand about the moments of self-doubt. Sometimes I am overwhelmed by the enormity of what I am trying to accomplish - not only in terms of actual weight loss, but in terms of totally rewiring my brain and changing lifelong ingrained habits. For what it's worth, if I can find the wagon, anyone can find the wagon :)

Kumochi 07-30-2011 07:31 AM

Peppy You have doen great. I started about the same time and yesterday was the only day I felt I was in danger of losing my motivation. I've had other days where I've not done well but always new I'd continue. Yesterday was more than that and I was concerned I'd stop. I think that danger is gone. It took me from September to January to get started, I don't want to stray. Mary

peppy35 07-31-2011 02:19 AM

Thank you both, Mary and Joanna.
I am glad I got that off of my chest (venting)- this morning woke up with the attitude - that I had come this far and I am not going to blow it now- I have the support of family and friends - and this community . So I know when I need help I can come here. I have located another wagon and have strapped myself into it so I won't fall off unless there is a huge pot hole on the road to success. Have a great weekend everyone :)

DancinBear2 08-03-2011 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by hmundra (Post 52200)
I know it is kind of late but I still want to join in.My current weight is 148.4 ,I want to lose 15 at least by thanksgiving.

Sure, come on in, all are welcome. Go to the check-in thread and add your stats by copying and pasting the previous post.

I have had another good week, down another 5 pounds. I am on holidays next week so my next check-in won't be until August 15th, with any luck I will be at the 10% by then.