Notices

Summer Weight Gain

Old 06-12-2011, 12:51 AM
FitDay Member

Default Summer Weight Gain

I noticed a couple other members share this problem. Anyone have any suggestions on how to avoid it. I either gain or have a harder time losing in summer. It should be the opposite because of increased activity. This year I want to continue losing for the summer as well.

I wonder if allergies play any role in this? Mary
Old 06-12-2011, 02:01 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Hmmm--well, for me summer is much less structured as I work for a school and have six weeks or so off. As one who does best with a system in place, this presents a bit of a challenge.

There are the parties, outings, events, camping trips, etc. that can play havoc with one's eating plan.

I basically plan to contine to log everything as closely as possible given the circumstances and stay as active as possible. I also plan to not get into the summer habit of staying up late and sleeping in; instead I'll have a routine time to get up and do some sort of exercise.

That's my plan, I'd love to hear what others are doing.

Regards,
Michael
Old 06-12-2011, 02:04 AM
FitDay Member

I definitely have this problem, but I'm not sure my excuses apply to others:

I'm a teacher, so my summer is way less structured that the rest of the year. While I pretty much do the same at dinner, I'm way more prone to eating a big breakfast, or eating out at lunch. This summer, I'm tackling it by giving myself some "rules": only eat out at lunch if I'm out seeing a friend, not just because I'm out and about doing errands and it seems nice. If I want breakfast to seem big and lingering, make extra coffee and take it and the paper out to the deck and linger that way. Cook at lunch sometimes, to give me the variety I crave. If I go to my friends for dinner, who cook great, but serve late and have appreciates and drinks to span the time, then eat a big bowl of veggies before I go and carry my own bottle of sparkling water to carry me until dinner is served.

So, for me, it really is the different eating temptations, and no fix but to confront them.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:33 AM
FitDay Member

Easiest way to avoid it is to get out there and enjoy the beautiful weather. I try to spend at least an hour a day playing sports, hiking or just exploring my city. Just make it a habit, despite how hectic your schedule is. Even with work and kids you deserve an hour of personal time and I'm sure you can find the time.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

I think I have trouble in the summer because there are PARTIES! The weather is nice, everyone wants to "do something" on the weekends or evenings. "Doing something" usually involves eating lots of not-so-good-for-you "special" party foods (which are somehow "special" even though you get them every weekend!! Haha) and drinking more beer, as well as just being out and social.

When you start noticing food, it's kind of amazing how we use food to celebrate every little thing.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:58 AM
FitDay Member

I agree It really feels strange to have people in and not feed them. We can't seem to socialize without food and drink -- even when it is a group of people all wanting to lose weight. Mary
Old 06-13-2011, 02:43 PM
FitDay Member

It's so funny you guys also have this. I am a social eater and I socialize more in the summer. Plus I seem to be hungrier in the summer. I don't know why.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:47 AM
FitDay Member

I was checking my paper journal I keep in my sauna. Last year I gained 10 pounds between May15th and September 1st. I also only used my infrared sauna a couple times all summer. This summer I plan on using it 5 -7 times a week despite the heat. When I'm using the sauna I also tend to do my yoga - while waiting for it to heat up. Between that and fitday I hope to be down 20 pounds by September 1st instead of up. Mary
Old 06-14-2011, 04:25 AM
FitDay Member

That would be awesome Mary!

I am also a social eater and with picnics and trips to the local dairy for fresh ice cream cones summer can be a killer. Oh and fairs with funnel cake too!!! Ughhhh!
Old 06-14-2011, 05:33 AM
FitDay Member

Where to begin with my summer weight issues??? Our summer starts with one event after another, Mother's Day, followed by 5 birthdays, followed by Father's Day. All of which are eating fests. This year we're also celebrating my mother's retirement and hosting a couple of Girl Scout parties all before the end of June. Then we go into "fair" mode, which involves a couple of hectic weeks of preparation and then we're camping at the fair, we also attend most of the fair for the county next door so it's a 2 week fair affair. I'm going to plan my menu's carefully, with the understanding that we are not at the fair to eat junk food, we are there for the betterment of the children, and educating them to eat right is part of that. Finger's crosses and all that. All of that will be followed by vacations and the garden harvest. How I'm going to keep that all in control I don't know, but I'm determined to because in August we have a family wedding and my 25 year class reunion!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.