Notices

Need advice on losing baby weight!

Old 06-09-2011, 06:19 AM
FitDay Member

Default Need advice on losing baby weight!

HI I'm new I just joined FitDay June 5th.

I'm a stay at home mom of 2. I have a 5 yr old and a 2.5 month old. I need helpful tips and advice on how to lose the baby weight. I've struggled with my weight for a long time. I'm 22 yrs old, 5'6" and 248lbs (weighted on sunday). I'm in the process of packing and moving into a new house so making sure I eat right is hard at times.

Any advice/tips on healthy snacks, quick exercises i can do etc would be very much apprieciated.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:28 AM
FitDay Member

Welcome,
Eat fewer simple carbohydrates like white bread, sugar and processed foods like potato chips, crackers, Fruit juice etc.. . If you drink alcohol stop or severly restrict your intake to really special occasions (Alcohol has 7 calories per gram). Eat vegetables (carrots, brocolli, cauliflower and celery) and fruit as snacks.

Exercise, (this is my biggest hurdle) even if it is just going for a walk, get up and do something.

Make your weight loss journey a lifestyle change. Many who 'diet' often end up gaining all the weight back once the stop dieting. This needs to be a long term change in your attitude of personal health, eating and food.

Read the older forum posts. There is much wisdom in those posts and you can learn from others successes and failures.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:34 AM
FitDay Member

Default Exercise

Eat more unprocessed food and just google Tabata for exercising. It is very effective and doesn't require much resources and time.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:54 PM
FitDay Member

Try to avoid the temptation to live in sweat pants, no matter how comfy they are. "Real" clothes that are more fitted will let you know when you're backsliding.

Make a point to take breaks throughout the day to feed yourself a real balanced meal. Keep lean meats, veggies and fruits around that you can eat without much preparation. Make sure you drink plenty of water. I have a coworker who buys the prepared fajita chicken, and drops a few ounces of it over veggies (which she pre-cuts every Sunday evening) for a quick, convenient and filling lunch salad.

Exercise can become part of your life. Run outside and play with the five year old, or take the kids for daily walks. You may even have to bite the bullet and wake up an hour and a half earlier than the kids in order to get a workout while they sleep.I don't know what your life and budget look like, but some gyms offer on-site daycare which is a way to get the time you need while still knowing that your children are safe and near you. Watching you take the time to be active for your health will benefit them.

If you end up ordering food during the move, try to go for options like subs which can be made leaner by ordering well, and they can be divided into portions for later. Other than that, you have to limit eating out and ordering in. Those are habits that doom you to an overweight life.

remember that the five year old is primed to learn habits from you now. It's a great time to teach them to appreciate veggies and an active life. Don't say things like "Mommy is fat" or "I hate my body", say things like "Mommy wants to be healthy" and "Apples tasted good and make you feel good too." S/he will mirror you. And it will also help you stay focused on positivity.

Don't be surprised if s/he picks up on your insecurities about your weight and makes comments, all children do it and it doesn't mean they don't love you. A lot of it is curious probing while s/he tries to figure out why weight bothers you so much. Make all conversations about health, not about being skinny or hot.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:33 PM
FitDay Member

Thank you for the tips and advice! I will check out Tabata. I have my treadmill up and going now so I will be trying to use that as much as I can. I've also been playing with my kids, not as much as I probably could and my goal this comming week is to play with them more. When I go to town I try to part at the far end of the parking lot so I have to walk farther and push a stroller with my 4.5 month old in it.

I'm working on the portion size but I'm struggling a bit with it.
Also, what is a reasonable/healthy amount of weight to lose in a month?
Old 08-12-2011, 12:44 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Krissy, welcome to FitDay. You got some really great advice above, so instead of something to do, I'm going to offer you something to think.

Your post asks about losing baby weight. I'm going to suggest that you stop thinking about it as "baby weight." From your post in another thread, you started getting heavy at about ten years old (I did as a child, as well), so baby weight doesn't tell the whole story, even though it may have contributed to put you where you are now. It was helpful to me to take a look at a lifetime of bad habits and start to replace them with healthier ones. Making a lifestyle change is the way to get it off and keep it off.

Having kids is an excellent motivator...you don't want them to grow up struggling with their weight, so every good choice you make is one you make for them as well, and you will feel awesome about doing it.

As for your other question, they say one to two pounds per week is usually a good rate, though the heavier you are at the start of your journey, the quicker the initial pounds will come off. Just make sure you eat enough to keep yourself going physically (I experience a weight loss stall when I go below 1200 cals a day, but not everyone does) and that you are satisfied enough that you don't feel deprived enough to let loose bingeing on something. That's probably trial and error.

Good luck! If you have any other questions, feel free to post here or in any of the other forums!
Old 08-12-2011, 12:50 AM
FitDay Member

I'm at the beginning of a similar journey so all I can say is that for me, I had to replace food as a reward for dealing with kids all day. I make plans to run or socialize or do something fun at the end of the day. Before, I looked forward to my treat all day while dealing with tantrums...now I try to reward myself differently. Good luck!
Old 08-22-2011, 06:19 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Kris!!! I'm mother of 2 too, one of 19 months and her sis of almost 1 month!!!! I had a cesary so I didnt loose any weight afterbirth. AND I gained 35lb in 9 months.
SO here I am, also dieting and as I had a cesary I cant do much exercise But with 2 babies at home I can guarantee you I run from one place to another the whole day! And I bet you do too!!!
Are you breastfeeding? I am and thats confuse me a little about how should my intake be composed of. Im afraid about not giving the right nutrition to my baby if I'm too strict with my diet.
Good luck with your weightloss!!!!!!!!!! :*
Marie.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:04 PM
FitDay Member

Following a workout plan is just what you need then. If you are fully recovered from your surgery you can start exercising on a regular basis. Combine that with a healthy diet and you will start to tone up.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:49 AM
FitDay Member

I wonder why 4 posts is the magic number - bring forth the owl