FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Weight Loss Tips (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/)
-   -   Question about losing body fat (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/406-question-about-losing-body-fat.html)

vpinata 02-12-2010 11:44 AM

Question about losing body fat

Hey guys!
I'm new to fitday.com and I think it's great. I'm actually not overweight, I'm just trying to be in top form!:D I'm trying to reduce my body fat from about 21% to 15% (which is how I had it 1 1/2 year ago) In tracking my food, I noticed that everything is pretty balanced on the pie chart as far as protein, carbs, and fat. I was wondering though, if I want to lose body fat, should I reduce the amount of fat I'm eating and have more protein and carbs or what?? I workout about three times a week, weight lifting and cardio together. The fat I get is usually from nuts and my guilty pleasure..peanut butter:o Any advice would really help!!

verociousjay 02-14-2010 06:08 AM

Hi,

I recommend reading this: The carb myth part 1: Why “fat-free” can still make you fat :: stumptuous.com - it's got a lot of good tips for how to eat to lose body fat.

In short: eat more protein and more fat, and cut back on your carbs. 40f/40p/20c is a ratio a lot of people use. Eating less carbs will allow your body to begin ketosis, which basically means that you will burn fat for energy and not store the carbs you eat as more fat.

More protein is especially important if you're lifting, because it will help your body build more muscle.

Hope this helps!

vpinata 02-15-2010 05:40 PM

Yes! Thanks so much, I already started cutting back on carbs, so it's good to know I'm on the right track :) thank you!

bobbys89 03-01-2010 06:36 AM

Just watching my calorie balance and eating clean has worked for me. I eat at a 500 calorie deficit and stick to whole grains, non-fat/low-fat dairy, lean meats, fruits, vegetables, etc. I don't believe in the carb starve stuff, I eat healthy fats like peanut butter, and I try to eat 20g of protein in each meal (6-8 a day). Following this I cut my body fat down low enough for a 6-pack (Note: I only exercise 1 or 2 days a week).

kmcgill39 03-02-2010 02:51 PM

Hey....losing BF without losing muscle is very difficult and it will take a lot of patience. the tried and true practice (gold standard) for loosing BF is P-40/C-40/F-20..but first you must prime your body by starting burning fat with a moderate carb diet p-50/C-30/F-20 for about 4 weks, then switch to 40/40/20...can the peanut butter or opt for smart balance peanut butter with low sugar...fat begit fat's and don't not exceed 20%, taper carbs late in day preferably your last 2 meals unless you workout in the evening, your post workout meal can have carbs...Carbs should be complex only. following the 50/30/20should result in a .5 to 1 lb every 10-14 days very slow but permanent. then 40/40/20 should take you to the next level and get you to your goal...finally shoot for 10-12 cals per lb of goal weight and adjust up/down 200 cals accordingly and you shoud probably add 1 more workout day if you can....see how that works for you, Good Luck! look for Tom Vuto's Burn The Fat Feed the Muscle it's the guide I used and provides good information and tells the truth about the scams in the fitness industry.

Built 03-02-2010 11:17 PM

I'm a big fan of Tom Venuto's BFFM as well. Very good, thorough info on burniung fat!

glenn1978 03-03-2010 05:14 AM

Eating fat is not related to gaining fat. All you have to do is make sure that you burn more calories then you consume. In theory you could eat fast food and still lose body fat as long as you stay below your daily maintenance amount of calories. Your health would suck, but you would still lose body fat.