Hair loss and low carb? >

Hair loss and low carb?

Community
Notices

Hair loss and low carb?

Old 04-04-2014, 11:45 PM
FitDay Member

Default Hair loss

I took and bought an expensive product... and checked out the ingredients and found it contains Biotin... so I bought that from a local store for a couple bucks and it works great...
Old 04-11-2014, 10:18 PM
FitDay Member

WOW!!!

I cut carbs about 6 weeks ago and have also noticed a huge amount of hair loss. My hair is extremely thick but baby fine silk, it's stick straight and gorgeous all the way to my waist. Im noticing that when I brush my hair out before I shower I have to clean the hair brush of hair...........but then when I get done in the shower and washing my hair when I brush it out the hair brush is FULL again. I spoke to my doc and dietician and both assure me it will stop and I wont go bald. I HATE IT. Of course like you I worry. Im also sick to freakin death of finding MY hair in everything or on everything.

Last edited by Kathy13118; 04-12-2014 at 02:52 AM. Reason: edited out link
Old 04-14-2014, 10:45 AM
FitDay Member

Cool

Originally Posted by kamyachahuan
WOW!!!

I cut carbs about 6 weeks ago and have also noticed a huge amount of hair loss. My hair is extremely thick but baby fine silk, it's stick straight and gorgeous all the way to my waist. Im noticing that when I brush my hair out before I shower I have to clean the hair brush of hair...........but then when I get done in the shower and washing my hair when I brush it out the hair brush is FULL again. I spoke to my doc and dietician and both assure me it will stop and I wont go bald. I HATE IT. Of course like you I worry. Im also sick to freakin death of finding MY hair in everything or on everything.
It is a low carb diet that makes you lose your hair.Each time I I've done Atkins I fill a big baggy full with my hair.Used all kinds of products and supplements,some helped some did not.My hair never truly got back to its original thickness.Sad.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:37 PM
FitDay Member

Default Hair Loss

Originally Posted by Kathy13118
I do not know your age but I am just past 60. Several years ago, I started to notice my hair was thinner, although there didn't seem to be hair coming out in my hairbrush, nothing so noticeable as that.

I also noticed that the hair on my body became thinner and finer (I'm a woman). I spoke to both my family doctor and my dermatologist. Both said the same thing: it is hereditary and it comes with aging. Oh, crap.

No vitamins in this case would help me. I watch carbs but I also watch protein and fat, using fitday. I'm a middle of the road low-carb, lower-calorie, and also lower-fat dieter. That works, by the way, just fine, for me.

Both doctors said 'Don't waste your money on supplements, they're not going to do anything for this...' but the dermatologist did say that rogaine, which can be bought over the counter, is effective for many of his patients. He tells the women to just buy the rogaine formulated for men. It's fine, it takes about a year, he said, but the hair comes in fuller.

I have not done this because, honestly, it doesn't bother me that much. But it's a solution if it does bother you! Ask your doctor for verification of this simple step - it is applied to the scalp, not ingested!
How long have you been on the low-carb diet? Did the hair loss intensify when you started the low carb diet?

I am asking because baldness runs in my family. I have started a low carb diet and based on this thread, it has caused hair loss in several persons.

Also, I would not put too much stock on Rogaine. It will only work for as long as you keep using it. Try consulting a hair doctor like Bosley or something. I know that there are solutions to hair loss nowadays.

Finally, others who wrote on this thread also experienced dry skin. Did you have the same case when you went on low carb diet?

Last edited by Kathy13118; 09-24-2014 at 01:14 AM. Reason: removed link
Old 09-24-2014, 01:27 AM
Super Moderator

I stopped low-carbing a few years ago. I realized that it is basically a low-calorie diet (it ends up being low-calorie because eating so much protein and fat kills your appetite, I guess) and a low-calorie diet that allow a lot more choice suits me better. I also noticed that when I managed my calories every day, I lost weight, and when I low-carbed, I gained weight (after some initial weight loss). Any kind of diet works fine, IMO, as long as you can get nutrition from all the food groups.

I talked to my doctor about the hair loss. Anyone who experience hair loss should talk to a doctor, but I suspect that anyone with hair loss will. It is such a concern - people care about their hair!

No problem with dry skin.

Probably people who find success with rogaine will keep on using it. Like a diet, if they stop, they may have to start it up again. I'm not familiar with the treatment but apparently, it works.

Last edited by Kathy13118; 09-24-2014 at 01:34 AM.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:01 PM
FitDay Member

hair loss treatment

Do I know what you're talking about!

I suffered this problem too when I dropped 125 pounds in 5 months in 1993.

I even took a picture of my bathroom sink covered in hair to my doctor's office and he said it was nothing to be worried about... Probably because he was just so thrilled that I'd finally lost the weight he'd been talking to me about for so long...

Then, one night I was up late and heard Richard Simmons mention his own hair loss during an interview he was doing for one of his (diet/exercise) programs so I wrote him a letter - A few days after I mailed the letter he called me at work!

Richard Simmons was very kind as he explained that hair loss is caused by dieting when we don't take in the proper nutrients and PROTEIN our body needs.

Richard Simmons suggested I step up my protein intake (I ate more eggs, chicken, turkey) and it worked! My hair stopped falling out within 2 weeks and my brush was no longer full of hair. I was so confused by what happened before I spoke to Richard Simmons; after all, I told him, I'd never seen a bald anorexic, so why me?!

Are you taking a multi-vitamin? I take GNC's Women's Ultra Mega every day. I noticed right away that these vitamins give me lots of energy and stabilize my blood sugar throughout the day so I don’t have the cravings and hunger pains I had before I began taking them. The bottle also says they aid in the production of electrolyte replacement, and bone health with antioxidant support. It's also one of the few vitamins I've found that has timed release.

I also take a tablespoon of Flax Seed Oil with juice in the morning. Google these things to decide if it may help you too.

I hope I've helped!

Be well,

Anna

Last edited by Kathy13118; 01-19-2015 at 06:30 PM. Reason: removed link
Old 01-20-2015, 10:18 PM
FitDay Member

Did you lose weight? Then low carb can be a reason for your hair fall. Consuming low carbohydrates results in rapid weight loss. Unbalanced weight, stress and non sufficient nutrition diet causes hair fall.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:17 AM
FitDay Member

Ever since I went primal (pretty low carb, around 80-130) my hair loss has slowed/stopped. You need some good nutrient dense veggies in there.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:37 PM
FitDay Member

Default It is temporary problem

Originally Posted by AAFlaca
Not sure if there is a relationship, but I have been doing low carb for a few months now and recently have experienced hair loss.
Hair loss may happen because of any big change in diet. Same is happening in your case and don't worry much about it. Because it is a temporary issue and you will regain your hair after some time. If you keep facing hair loss for a longer time then you should consult with your doctor.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:07 PM
FitDay Member

First, temporary hair loss is relatively rare after starting a low-carbdiet, most people never notice anything like it. ... Instead eat as much fat as you need to feel satisfied and not hungry, an LCHF diet. It may also be helpful to reduce other sources of stress during your first few weeks on low carb.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.