Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Weight Loss Tips
Hair loss and low carb? >

Hair loss and low carb?

Community
Notices

Hair loss and low carb?

Old 04-09-2011, 04:50 AM
FitDay Member

Dandruff is also a big cause for weight loss.
People who are stressed because of dandruff should use dandruff free shampoo with yogurt..
Thanks

Last edited by mecompco; 04-09-2011 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Again with the SPAM?
Old 04-21-2011, 12:13 PM
FitDay Member

Just tread your post and it will help me not to stay stay focused on scales and more on eating right. thanks
Old 05-11-2011, 12:42 PM
FitDay Member

What sweetener are you using? Splenda? I used Splenda for 5 years during which time I was losing lots of hair, had itchy scalp and had itchy skin. I did not connect the two until I stopped the Splenda for some other reason, and all those things went away. I have been off Splenda for 2 years now and feeling much better.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:53 PM
FitDay Member

Default Hair loss

I have been following Atkins for 1.5 years, and lost 55#.
I actually think my hair has improved.
It was thinning a few years ago. Stress, poor eating???

But I think it is better than ever now.

I have read that losing too much weight too quickly, and a lack of proper nutrition can cause hair loss.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:10 PM
FitDay Member

Hair loss IS associated with diet very often. People who drastically reduce their caloric intake can suffer hair loss, such as people who have had gastric bypass surgery. Just Google "hair loss and weight loss surgery" and you'll get plenty of information. Basically, if you're living on very few calories your body will divert nutrition to the most important systems/organs...which your hair ain't.

Another culprit can be too little protein in the diet that causes hair loss, but since you're low-carb I don't know if that is the answer, either. I've read other possibilities of low vitamin A, iron, zinc, inositol, folate, B-6, essential fatty acids...

Hair growth is cyclical, so it WILL grow back once diet issues are resolved and a little time has passed. HTH!
Old 07-18-2011, 04:03 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I wanted to report back that I have found a vitamin and shampoo that for real is helping me with this. If it didn't happen to me, I would not have believed it. I read an article about how shamppos for dandruff with "ketoconazole" in it helps and I am using one now and this has helped. I had trouble finding one on the shelves and had to order it on-line. The shampoo starts with a "N."
In addition, I am taking a special supplement with 5 mgs. of silicon in it (not sure if we are allowed to mention specific brands on here.) It starts with a "B" anyway, this supplement with the silicon is also helping. Together...the special shampoo and the supplement is totally making the difference and my hair is back to normal. I am most grateful.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:26 PM
FitDay Member

Try Biotin. I have the same problem, which my doc attributes to menopause. However, I heard about Biotin, which is a vitamin B, and the hair loss has lessened, although didn't totally stop. I thought I wasn't getting enough protein, so also started having drinks with protein powder. Don't know which works, but together, both seem to help. Good luck.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:43 PM
FitDay Premium Member

The dandruff shampoo combined with the tablet with silicon in t is doing the trick. (I also take a B Complex tablet) In fact (knock on wood), my hair is back to normal and I am most grateful. Not sure what the rules are regarding mentioning brand names. But this combination is VERY effective.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:46 PM
FitDay Member

I have not experienced this kind of hair loss but my friend has. So she has started taking biotin and certain healthy vegetables to nourish the hair maintaining her health as well. She even uses some hair extensions to hide the hair loss

Last edited by Kathy13118; 01-06-2014 at 05:21 PM. Reason: edited out link to webssite
Old 01-09-2014, 02:51 PM
FitDay Member

Good luck and hang in there! We won't go bald, promise.

Last edited by Kathy13118; 01-09-2014 at 03:21 PM. Reason: edited out link to website

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.