Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Weight Loss Tips
Frankly guys, do you still believe in those scientific formulas and calculators? >

Frankly guys, do you still believe in those scientific formulas and calculators?

Notices

Frankly guys, do you still believe in those scientific formulas and calculators?

Old 03-28-2011, 07:18 AM
FitDay Member

Talking Frankly guys, do you still believe in those scientific formulas and calculators?

The BMI (Body Mass Index) is a joke! I don’t know why this formula is well accepted in fitness field!
I have decided to stop believing in those arithmetical formulas.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:38 AM
FitDay Member

BMI is a great tool. It works along the bell curve. The majority of people's healthy weight will fall in the 'healthy BMI' range. That means that anyone within the average range of bone structure and average range of muscle tone will hit the healthy BMI range when they have an acceptably healthy fat%. Not average? My guess is you already knew that mainstream charts weren't going to work for you. But for most of us it gives a realistic number to start with.

Personally I like the way it cuts across height differences. My 145 lbs daughter will occasionally stress about how 'huge' she is compared to her 115 lb older sister. Their BMI's - 22 and 21. I remind her of that and she calms down. Her older sis is much shorter, not much smaller.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

Are you railing against all calculators and formulae, or just BMI?

Personally, I find many of them helpful. Calories needed, calories burned, body fat estimate, recipe calculators...somehow I find it comforting to have some information and guidelines.

However, I will say that I take all of them with a grain of salt, know exactly what they measure, and am aware that there are limitations to each of them. I also know that for different individuals, mileage may vary. Like anything else, do your research, take what you personally can use, and leave the rest.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

As usual, Cassie said it perfectly
Old 03-28-2011, 09:13 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
body fat estimate

Can you calculate my body fat estimate if I I weigh 300 lbs and my height is 5"11?
Old 03-28-2011, 09:15 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by jjeand
BMI is a great tool.
Can you calculate my MBI if I I weigh 300 lbs and my height is 5"11?
Am I obese or not?
Old 03-28-2011, 09:43 AM
FitDay Member

Obviously at 300 pounds, no matter what your height is.. If you have excess flab and can barely run a mile.. It's likely you are obese. If its muscle you would clearly know. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to understand that an extremely muscular and fit person is not obese no matter what they weigh. I think body fat % is more accurate. But BMI is pretty good for anyone who isn't body building. Personally I don't think anyone should weigh 300 pounds, muscle or not. Just because its muscle doesn't mean you can't go overboard.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:06 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Misery16226
Obviously at 300 pounds, no matter what your height is.. If you have excess flab and can barely run a mile.. It's likely you are obese. If its muscle you would clearly know. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to understand that an extremely muscular and fit person is not obese no matter what they weigh. I think body fat % is more accurate. But BMI is pretty good for anyone who isn't body building. Personally I don't think anyone should weigh 300 pounds, muscle or not. Just because its muscle doesn't mean you can't go overboard.
This guy is Ronnie Coleman the winner of Mr. Olympia several times, he weighs 300 lbs during context ! and he measures 5'11"
According to BMI formula Ronnie's BMI is 42 !

Last edited by eric1407; 03-28-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:08 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Misery16226
I think body fat % is more accurate..
How can you measure body fat% with those formula ?
Old 03-28-2011, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

There are numerous formulae online to calculate body fat; just Google it. The part of my post that pointed to "recognize limitations" and "your mileage may vary," I think, made it clear that I don't believe they work in all cases. That's no reason to throw them out for the folks they do work for. You should, with minimal research, know if you're an "outlier."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.