Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Weight Loss Tips
Frankly guys, do you still believe in those scientific formulas and calculators? >

Frankly guys, do you still believe in those scientific formulas and calculators?

Community
Notices

Frankly guys, do you still believe in those scientific formulas and calculators?

Old 03-28-2011, 10:30 AM
FitDay Member

My husband is mainly muscle, weighs 210 lbs and is obese according to the charts and the wii.
I'm flabby but I'm "normal" weight.
It's not all correct.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:50 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
There are numerous formulae online to calculate body fat; just Google it. The part of my post that pointed to "recognize limitations" and "your mileage may vary," I think, made it clear that I don't believe they work in all cases. That's no reason to throw them out for the folks they do work for. You should, with minimal research, know if you're an "outlier."
Can you give a link that you use to calculate your body fat percentage please?
I am just curious to know why do you still believe in those formulas.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:52 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by ahmom
My husband is mainly muscle, weighs 210 lbs and is obese according to the charts and the wii.
I'm flabby but I'm "normal" weight.
It's not all correct.
Most of those body formulas if not all are nothing but joke.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:06 AM
FitDay Premium Member

BMI is useful as a rule of thumb for those that are of average body type and cannot get a body composition test done. However I think by far the best thing to go on is body composition (percent body fat). This gets us out of the mode of worrying about "weight loss" and concentrating on "fat loss." It is also more universal, although even percent body fat is dependent on ethnic makeup. By BMI I am overweight until I hit like 165, which at that point i'm down to 10% body fat. That is still healthy but I think too lean for me.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:22 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by eric1407
This guy is Ronnie Coleman the winner of Mr. Olympia several times, he weighs 300 lbs during context ! and he measures 5'11"
According to BMI formula Ronnie's BMI is 42 !
This guy looks absolutely disgusting, sad, and not at all healthy. He was on steroids, had muscle damage and nerve damage.

Sorry but I think he needs to lose 100 - 150 pounds just like if he were obese. He'd be so much better off at around 170.

I think BMI is the perfect range for everyone to stay balanced. Humans aren't meant to be huge and bulky or fat, or stick figures. We are supposed have lean strong flexible muscles.

I am thinking that with 300 pounds on your body, health effects are the same whether its muscle or fat. Especially on our organs and bones. Not to mention the hormone imbalances all that muscle would cause. Even though I am overweight and unfit, I'll bet even I could beat him in a fitness test. Only difference is he can lift more.

Do some research on those bodybuilders and how much damage that muscle does to their health, Especially the ones who do /have done steroids.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by eric1407
Can you give a link that you use to calculate your body fat percentage please?
I am just curious to know why do you still believe in those formulas.
Actually, I don't think a formula is something to "believe" in. I think it is something that can provide some people with useful information, if they choose to view it in the right way.

I think I've explained myself before in my earlier posts. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they haven't answered your question. You are free to have your own opinion. It seems like most of your posts are designed to be inflammatory and argumentative; are you just looking for a fight?

As for links, go to Google. Type in "body fat calculators". You will find plenty. If you're that interested, I shouldn't have to do your work for you.

I actually don't use a calculator to do my body fat percentage. I have a scale, and I recognize that it has its limitations as well. I have used the online calculators to compare to the body fat scale and calipers, just for frames of reference.

I've lost my weight, I'm in maintenance, and I'm 18% body fat. If what I do works for me, who are you to tell me different?
Old 03-28-2011, 11:31 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default I think we've pretty well covered this topic.

Some folks use them, some don't. To each his/her own. Let's move on.

Regards,
Michael