Notices

Calories consumed

Old 01-20-2010, 10:58 AM
FitDay Member

Question Calories consumed

I read (in more than 1 place) that you should consume 12 calories per pound to lose weight. So logically as you lose, the calories you consume are reduced. (like weight wacher's points, the less you weigh the fewer points you're allowed) Being very over weight I'd be consuming slightly over 3,000 calories. That seems like a lot. I'm barely getting in 1,600 a day as I'm eating a lot of fruits/veggies. Does anyone have an EDUCATED response to this? Could someone really lose weight eating that much?
Old 01-20-2010, 11:21 AM
FitDay Member

Smile calorie allowance

Yes your right that does seem a bit much, but people who are overweight do have a higher metabolism and do require more calories.
I dont have an exact number for you but what I do personally is I dont worry about calories at all, I only eat when I feel physical hunger not when the clock tells me to and I make sure that my meal is low in fat and has all or the essential nutrients that I need, try basing your meals around fruits and vegetables as the are low in calories an you can fill yourself up on them and not have to worry.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:18 AM
FitDay Member

I think the answer is that for sedentary people 12 calories/pound is about maintenance. For athletes it's a starvation diet. You have to guess how many calories you need and then over time increase or decrease according to results.
I read somewhere that one reason that people didn't lose weight despite counting calories is that EVERYONE underestimates and usually by huge amounts - 30% wasn't unusual.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:53 PM
FitDay Member

OOH, 3,000 is way to many calories. You should be consuming around 1722 calories per day. Your calories should consist of 10-15% protien, 55-60 %carb and no more than 30% fats. This will give you a good healty weight loss. Keep up the exercise... good job.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:06 AM
FitDay Member

I think that 12 cal is for maintenance I am 326 and was told that 3100 would maintain me at my current weight that I should cut 500 cal a day for every pound/week I wanted to lose so for 2 lbs/wk 2100 cal/day for 3 lbs/wk 1600 cal/day
Old 01-23-2010, 09:05 AM
FitDay Member

I spoke with an "educated" nutritionist about this very topic, even brought up the 300 pound woman angle, and this is what she told me...I am paraphrasing here.

No adult person, unless they are super athletes should eat more than 2000 per day. If you are making healthy choices in your eating, you should actually have a difficult time reaching 2000 calories. It is only eating the high fat, high calorie, high sugar foods that will make reaching 2000 calories easy. If you fill your diet full of veggies, fruits, whole grain products, low fat proteins, nuts, beans and low fat dairy products, you will be very satifisfied and be challenged to meet 2000 calories.

There is her advice in a nutshell. She also gave me crap for eating too few calories!! She says I should eat 1600, when I am eating between 1200 - 1400!! She says I am going to become exhausted both mentally and physically if I don't up my calorie intake AND my body will start burning muscle mass to make up for the deficit!!

I don't know what to make of that.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:36 PM
FitDay Member

Hi, Good thread, I have been wondering about this too. I think everyone's metabolism is unique and dependant on a wide range of different factors, from thyroid function to genetics. So it is hard to generalize. But I think what everyone posted are good guidelines. Makes sense about what Kathie said about consuming too few calories too. Stiking a balance is difficult. I am depending on the base metabolism calculation, and maintaining a calorie deficit of 500-1000/day. (although I did bump the base metabolism down a bit, to be sure). I am aiming for a loss of 2 lb/week, and have lost 1 lb/week in my first two week; this is without vigorous exercise, just walking.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:07 AM
FitDay Member

Default Bmr

I've been reading about BMR and I'm wondering how true it is.

I've been doing a 1200 calorie per day diet and according to my BMR I should be doing around 1675.

I've read if you eat too few calories you can actually gain weight because your body's metabolism won't work effectively.

I've made the mistake of weighing myself every day and I'm driving myself crazy. I've been fluctuating every day like crazy.

I'm working out for about a half hour 5-6 days/wk.

I'm trying to figure out what I should be eating on a daily basis to lose weight... it's seriously so hard to figure out.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:35 AM
FitDay Member

Kelley... I also have a hard time. I weigh myself WAY TO MUCH! haha I have decided to only weigh myself one time a week... (Fridays). That way if u lose 4 lbs in a week then that's all u know. U won't pay attention to how few or how many pounds u drop (or gain) in any given day! Plus keep in mind the muscle weighs more then fat... so if your working out that much your gonna be gaining muscle and losing fat.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:04 AM
FitDay Member

wer almost exactly in at the same place. I started out like 228 tho, mesg me anytime...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.