Notices

Cereal and Bananas

Old 03-24-2011, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mecompco
Garry, there is ALWAYS something we could be doing better. I can list a number of things that I could do to lose weight faster. But, like you, I have found what works and what fits in with my lifestyle and thought processes. Really, weight loss is at least 90% a mental game, I think. Keep the brain happy and you'll do good for the long haul.

So if a nice bowl of mini wheats and fruit works for you, go for it!

Regards,
Michael

(If it stops working, though, some more protein wouldn't hurt).
well said.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:38 AM
FitDay Member

Definitely add some fiber and protein, and a good fat. This will keep your blood glucose levels at a steady level, not spike your insulin-which causes you to store fat. I recommend adding some high fiber cereal to your mix, adding some Greek yogurt or whipped cottage cheese, or my personal favorite: protein powder mixed with water, milk, almond milk etc, adding some blueberries, and some almond butter. I would also suggest trying oat-bran or oatmeal in the morning, adding some chia or flax, protein powder and letting it sit overnight in the fridge with some liquid like water/milk/almond milk/sugar free syrup and mix in protein powder, cocoa etc. It tastes like cookie dough in the morning! Good luck with your weight loss!
Old 04-12-2011, 01:41 PM
FitDay Member

Hold the phone, cookie dough? Tell me more...
Old 04-12-2011, 02:05 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by gbargsley
Good morning everyone...

I have been on a diet and workout plan for 8 weeks now. I have lost about 35 pounds. I have discussed on this forum how I feel I should have been losing more based on my calorie intake and exercise. And I seem to be becoming not regular as far as my output goes.

However, that is not what this is about. Everyday I have Frosted Mini Wheat cereal for breakfast with 2% milk and a banana. While it fills me up for the morning until I have an apple before lunch.

I am wondering if this is a good breakfast or if I should try something else.

I am just trying to figure out the best way to optimize my diet. I am a picky eater, so when I find something I like I can eat it all the time.

Does anyone know a good breakfast plan that is easy?
This is working for you. 4 pounds a week or so. THAT'S GREAT. If it ain't broke...........

When you hit your first plateau dig up this thread and change it up with the good advice that is already here.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:34 AM
FitDay Member

Lightbulb Are you vegetarian?

Originally Posted by gbargsley
Good morning everyone...

I have been on a diet and workout plan for 8 weeks now. I have lost about 35 pounds. I have discussed on this forum how I feel I should have been losing more based on my calorie intake and exercise. And I seem to be becoming not regular as far as my output goes.

However, that is not what this is about. Everyday I have Frosted Mini Wheat cereal for breakfast with 2% milk and a banana. While it fills me up for the morning until I have an apple before lunch.

I am wondering if this is a good breakfast or if I should try something else.

I am just trying to figure out the best way to optimize my diet. I am a picky eater, so when I find something I like I can eat it all the time.

Does anyone know a good breakfast plan that is easy?
Hi

I just wonderd if your a veggi as your having more or less an all sugar breakfast?

The milk will probably stop the breakfast from being high glycemic but it's not an ideal start to the day.

The idea is that you control your blood sugar response in order to control your insulin release and your hormones which effectively control weather you store ot lose bodyfat.

So to remedy that you could do away with the 'frosted' mini wheat has little nutritional value. If anything have the plain mini wheat cereal and buy some spenda or stevia to sprinkle over the top. Or you could have a liveprobiotic low fat yogurt with a small handful of berries and a few nuts/seeds to bring down the glycemic load and your insulin response. This will aid your body in allowing the hormones to release fat as fuel which they won't do in a high glcemic environment.

I hope that makes sense and it helps a little bit. Please excuse the spelling if it's awful it's always been a problem as I'm dyslexc.

Peace. Lollie
Old 04-14-2011, 03:29 AM
Super Moderator

Smile

I agree that if you like something, you should stick with it. The calorie levels in your diet seem to be working because you have lost weight. You're pretty accurate in keeping your portion size reasonable. Don't make the 'frosting' a demon; in fact, as long as you are aware of calories, don't make any food a demon! You'll have a much better chance of staying satisfied with your diet, long-term.

One suggestion: You can make a pretty pared-down version of a breakfast sandwich (the kind that are offered at fast-food restaurants) and keep a supply in the freezer. When you're considering breakfast, you can pop a sandwich in the microwave for something like a minute and a half (play with that time and power level) and have a hot, filling breakfast in a very short time.

Have that some days and the cereal other days. Eat what you feel like having. Know the calorie count of the sandwich you make (easy to figure out) and the count of the cereal and milk. What is the choice that feels right? How's the scale reacting? What does it do to your calorie totals for the day? How does it affect your appetite for lunch?

(Quick summary of the breakfast sandwich: your choice of English muffin-type bread. Fry an egg and blot it dry on a paper towel. Cook some bacon. You only need one strip (break it in two to make it fit on top of the egg). Top with a slice of non-fat American Cheese. Assemble the sandwich. Wrap in wax paper. Wrap again in aluminum foil. Freeze. When you want breakfast, take out the sandwich, remove the foil and heat in the microwave with the wax paper. Eat hot. Enjoy!)
Old 04-14-2011, 06:37 AM
FitDay Member

It is funny you mention the egg sandwich. Several years ago I saw an advertisement for a toaster that cooked egg and bacon while cooking the toast and I had to have it. Well, I am on my 3rd one in five years. I usually only use it on the weekend, but I have been doing like you mentioned and have egg sandwich Monday, Wednesday and Friday and cereal the other days.

I have hit a plateau the last couple weeks and only lost 2 pounds. Even though my calorie intake is the same and my exercise is getting more vigorous I list two pounds week before last and zero pounds lasts week. Very disappointing and I have been in a funk all week, but I am back at it and hope to see some results this week.

If you are interested here is my favorite kitchen gadget.
Amazon.com: Back to Basics TEM500 Egg-and-Muffin 2-Slice Toaster and Egg Poacher: Kitchen & Dining