Notices

Weighing food

Old 09-15-2011, 12:43 PM
FitDay Member

My food scale can switch between ounces and grams and I do notice most nutrition labels that have things by quanity also have it by weight for the serving size. For example I had a box of crackers and the serving size on it was 24 crackers, but the weight for the serving size was 30 grams on the label. So if I have a bunch of broken crackers at the bottom of the box I don't have to toss them out just weigh them.

Before I got my food scale I really wasn't able to eat anything but pre-packaged foods and count the calories accurately.

Last edited by Rubystars; 09-15-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:57 PM
FitDay Member

i just received in the mail the bed bath and beyond circular and they have a pretty snazzy digital scale on sale. what caught my eye was the area you would put the food seemed large enough to accommodate a plate.

Mine is a regular, manual? old food scale and the area you put the food/plate on is just a couple inches in width. Kind of annoying really the space is so small.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:04 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Rubystars
So if I have a bunch of broken crackers at the bottom of the box I don't have to toss them out just weigh them.
LOL I never thought about that. Good idea. I'd always just guestimate the broken crackers.

Originally Posted by ripemango
i just received in the mail the bed bath and beyond circular and they have a pretty snazzy digital scale on sale.
Before you buy anything, you may want to go to "the website with the name that sounds like a tropical rain forest" just to check out their reviews. They may have one on your potential scale purchase.

There's a scale with over 2,500 reviews there, and the bulk of them are 5 star ratings. That's the one I just got. It does grams, ounces, kilograms, and pounds.

And from now on, I don't have to go to the post office to have them weigh my small packages before I put postage on them.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:22 PM
FitDay Member

i hadn't even thought about amazon, but i really should have. everything is on there.

i think i see the 1 you purchased and it's a better price. Incredible reviews, wow. Add to wish list.

thx Vito!
Old 09-17-2011, 09:23 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by VitoVino
LOL I never thought about that. Good idea. I'd always just guestimate the broken crackers.
Thanks I usually go by weight on serving sizes now. I measured out a serving of rice by weight and it was smaller than the cup measure would have shown it.

So if it's oatmeal or rice or anything like that I go by the serving size in ounces or grams, not "one cup".
Old 09-18-2011, 03:36 AM
FitDay Member

Haven't checked out this scale yet, but I got one that does grams, ounces, etc. at Walmart for around $20. Feel real good about the job it's doing...
Old 09-20-2011, 12:08 PM
FitDay Member

On the topic of scales.....
Are we suppose to weight meat raw or cooked for recording purposes?
Old 09-20-2011, 12:15 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by snafuken
On the topic of scales.....
Are we suppose to weight meat raw or cooked for recording purposes?
I think raw, but I think there are some entries in the system for cooked meat too.