Notices

Why arn't I loosing weight?

Old 02-06-2010, 10:17 AM
FitDay Member

Question Why arn't I loosing weight?

I started a diet on the 3rd Jan. The first 3 weeks went great - I lost 10lb - but I haven't lost anything for the last 2 weeks. I don't understand why as I haven't changed anything.

I am calorie counting and limiting myself to 1200 calories a day, roughly 200 for breakfast (shreaded wheat or wheatabix with soya milk), 200 for lunch (a very small amount of rice with steamed veg or soup), 500 for dinner (for example noodles, tofu and veg). I also have two 100 calorie snacks during the day (plain soya youghurt, fruit bar or tinned peaches in fruit juice) and a cup of cocoa made with soya milk and sweetner in the evening, which is less then 100 calories.

I am a vegan so find it hard to follow 'diets' as I can never eat the foods suggested, I cook a lot at home so know exactly what I am eating (no hidden fats).

What am I doing wrong? Surely I must be eating fewer calories than I am using but my weight is staying the same, but everything I read says that's impossible!

Can anyone offer any advice?
Old 02-06-2010, 01:03 PM
FitDay Member

Default Too much too soon

Hi,
Try eating a bit more for a few days. 10 lbs in 3 weeks is too fast. Your body is probably holding onto weight because you are restricting too much. Try eating a couple hundred more calories (not junk) for a few days and see if that will give your metabolism a boost.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:12 PM
FitDay Member

How much do you weigh and how much are you wanting to loose?Heavier people seem to loose weight faster than people that are knida close to there goals.How much exercise are you doing?
Old 02-06-2010, 10:53 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks. I weigh 9 stone 4 and would like to loose another 10lbs. I'm about 5 foot 2 inches. I don't have loads of weight to loose, but could loose the weight without being skinny.

I'm worried about eating more in case I put weight on and can't get that off either Maybe I'll give it a go though.

I thought I might be eating too many carbs? I might look at that too.

Loosing weight in practice is so much harder than the theory!
Old 02-07-2010, 12:17 AM
FitDay Member

So can someone tell me the proper Fat/Protein/Carb percentage breakdown. One person said they only have 10 Grams of fat a day - I am way over that with my two big fats being 6 walnuts and a piece of halibut.
I am also in the 5'2/5'3 range and the doctor said to lose 10 lbs. I'm 53 and find my weight is coming off very slowly - even though I exercise regularly.
Thanks
Old 02-07-2010, 02:23 AM
FitDay Member

Hi

I'm no expert, but I think when you're trying to loose weight you should be aiming for 40% of your total calories coming from carbs, 30% proteins and 30% fat.

To be honest I don't think I hit the fat part though as I avoid anything with a high fat content. I've never worked it out though - I just focus on total calories and eat lots of veg to keep me full.

I think if you put your foods eaten into Fitday it will calculate for you what percentages you are consuming.

Hope that helps
Old 02-07-2010, 02:27 AM
FitDay Member

Talking Eat More!

You did lose too fast the first few weeks and now your body has to stabilize. You could kickstart it again by maybe eating more calories.

Do you workout? If you do you may not be eating enough to lose. I did that for a very long time and I gained about three pounds. I was exercising like a mad woman and not losing so I upped the calories (a lot) kept my low glycemic carbs to no more then 40% and now its' coming off.

It's not as easy losing at 57 as it was when I dropped my first 80 lbs. when I was 44. Now I just want to lose the last 10 lbs. that keeps hanging onto me.

Have a good day!!

HN
Old 02-07-2010, 02:36 AM
Super Moderator

Last night I Googled percentages of fat, carbs, and protein.

Every site says something different.

Yesterday was a typical day for me. I did 55% carbs (many sites say between 45% and 65% is acceptable), 28% protein, and 17% fat.

I would like to do fewer carbs. I probably shoud do fewer carbs.

However, that's not a lifestyle I can sustain without bouncing back in the wrong direction and bingeing on carbs. It seems to be working; I'm within the healthy weight and BMI ranges and I don't feel deprived.

I calorie cycle also, but the average now that I am still trying to lose the last few is 1350. I think it will average about 1650 or 1700 for maintenance if my activity level is the same.

I really believe that it is all about finding what works for you personally and what you can live with. I love hearing feedback from others about what works for them and their ideas...new things to try, new ways of thinking. People here are a wealth of info; take away what works for you and discard it if it doesn't.

We'll get it done together.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:28 PM
FitDay Member

Exclamation

Hello everyone,
I would like to try and answer your questions, hopefully I can help you somehow!
First cause, maybe overtraining, which causes the body to undergo adaptation.
Either, you can crank up your exercise, if you were doing 20 minutes of cardio per session, maybe you should increase that to 30-45min, as your body may has went into adaptation. However, going harder and harder everytime is not always the best thing to do, you should know when to cut back and relax a little, for sometimes overtraining might cause your body to adapt, so a good thing is to take a break 5-7 days off, do you change your workouts frequently??
if not, maybe you should, so your body wouldn't undergo adaptation.
Also, your calories might be too low "which I suspect may be the real reason for this plateau", and the only way to break this plateau caused by starvation is to EAT MORE. this happens when your caloric intake is very low for a long time, eat more of the good foods, go easy on the junk, maybe you should just increase your portions a little. this increase may need 1-3 days to take effect. most fitness models and bodybuilders follow this method "zig-zag method" they follow a low calorie diet (usually low in carbs) for about 3 days and then they kick it up with 1-3 days of higher caloric intake (higher carbs), this way you can trick your body before it figures out what is going on, and switches to starvation.
So therefore, ZIGZAG, 3 days low, then 1-3 days high. tryi this and I really hope for the best results!! believe me,it works 100%. If it doesn't check back with me. best of luck
Old 02-12-2010, 12:37 AM
FitDay Member

Your carbs should be 80%, protein10% and fat 10%. Google Dr Graham and the 801010 diet----low fat raw vegan. I am thriving on it, but also at 52, losing very slowly. I need to lose 10lbs--I think its all round my middle, although I am really fit and exercise daily. Must be hormonal!
The carbs I eat are only from fruit and vegetables, fat from avocados or nuts and protein also from fruit and veg. All raw. No dairy, meat grains etc.

Last edited by Kittymika; 02-12-2010 at 12:41 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.