Notices

in need of suggestions

Old 02-06-2010, 05:17 PM
FitDay Member

Default in need of suggestions

Hello fellow FitDay buffs. I'm in need of a few suggestions. I'm a 5'11 42 y/o female 6 yrs post op gastric bypass patient (lost >125 lbs) who over the past year has put back on approx 20 lbs( mostly due to inactivity following orthopedic surgery). I have been back to the gym full time since Jan 1st with a full cardio/circuit training routine. My routine consists of 70 min cardio and 30 min circuit 5-6 days/week.
I have been taking in approx 1000-1100 calories/day, but cannot seem to make the scale move. My nutritionist thinks I need more protein, but most of the literature I'm reading says that more carbs is the way to go. My calorie output is definitely way over my intake. Any ideas on what I can do to get the scale moving again?
Old 02-06-2010, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

Hi!

The first thought that comes to my mind is that you don't have enough calories in to sustain the amount of exercise that you are doing, so your metabolism has slowed down to conserve the resources you do have. The conventional wisdom seems to be that this happens below about 1200 cals per day for women.

Is your nutritionist aware that you are only consuming 1000-1100 cals per day? Has he/she ever suggested upping the calories?

I would definitely agree with the nutritionist that more protein is preferable to more carbs (don't get me wrong, I have a love affair with carbs, but reality is, well, reality), especially with all the weight training. Carbs will give you energy so eat them before the workout, but be sure to go heavy on the protein after.

Keep at it, and congrats on your loss so far and your dedication in the gym!

Cassie
Old 02-09-2010, 10:38 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by rcpdaly
Hello fellow FitDay buffs. I'm in need of a few suggestions. I'm a 5'11 42 y/o female 6 yrs post op gastric bypass patient (lost >125 lbs) who over the past year has put back on approx 20 lbs( mostly due to inactivity following orthopedic surgery). I have been back to the gym full time since Jan 1st with a full cardio/circuit training routine. My routine consists of 70 min cardio and 30 min circuit 5-6 days/week.
I have been taking in approx 1000-1100 calories/day, but cannot seem to make the scale move. My nutritionist thinks I need more protein, but most of the literature I'm reading says that more carbs is the way to go. My calorie output is definitely way over my intake. Any ideas on what I can do to get the scale moving again?
Can you give me a idea of what you are eating??

How high are you getting your heart rate during your exercise??

What are you doing all day when you are not eating or exersicing??
Old 02-10-2010, 12:29 AM
FitDay Member

Default Follow the advice

If you get advice from a nutritionist who's spent time getting to know you - you should follow it - or find a different nutritionist to work with. That's why you work with them!

Just my opinion.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:55 AM
FitDay Member

I'm just the average person when not working out....running errands, housework. But I should mention that I'm a night shift worker(7p-7a) 3x plus/week and my eat/sleep schedule is a bit crazy. I always go to the gym as soon as I get up in the morning and usually right when I get out of work in the AM.
During cardio, my HR is pretty much in the 135-140 range. I change up the levels on the treadmill to maintain this range.
As far as my diet, I do eat most things that the family eats just in smaller portions and I supplement daily with a muscle milk lite protein drink in the morning and at night. The diet consists of a lot of chicken/fish/veggies. Not so many breads or high fat foods.