Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Weight Loss Tips
Anyone else have a naturally thin spouse? >

Anyone else have a naturally thin spouse?

Community
Notices

Anyone else have a naturally thin spouse?

Old 02-05-2010, 06:46 AM
FitDay Member

Default Anyone else have a naturally thin spouse?

My husband is blessed with genetics. He is fit and trim and never has to think about calorie intake. He is athletic, and burns a lot of calories, but even so, he is just lucky genetically. That makes it harder for me for two reasons: A, he likes to eat, and wants to have fattening foods in the house and B, though he's very supportive of my weight loss goals, he really just doesn't understand why it's so hard to lose weight. Ugh
Old 02-07-2010, 02:33 AM
FitDay Member

I have a naturally thin spouse. He is the same size and weight as when I first married him 32 years ago! I hate that.

I have struggled all of my life with weight and he just doesn't get it when I get pissed when he brings home pizza, ice cream, donuts, candy and pies. He says to me "oh it won't hurt you cuz you work out". Duh? And why do I work out? To lose weight not to maintain it so I can eat crap!! Hello!!!

When he was in Iraq for 15 months I dropped 15 lbs. because he wasn't home to bring all of that nasty food in. I started gaining it back right away because I wanted to fix him all of the good food that he wasn't able to eat. Even though I just ate little portions of it all I still gained it back.

Now I am struggling to get if off again and this time he doesn't bug me cuz the more he bugs me the more I spend on workout DVD's, apparel and software to workout by on my Wii.

It is coming down now finally but very slow.

Good luck to you!!

HN
Old 02-07-2010, 03:56 AM
Super Moderator

LOL, Herb Nurse; you are a trip!

My spouse was naturally thin (30" waist for the first 15 years we were married), then he hit the backside (and I do mean backside!) of his 30s, plus started a medication, and he is now overweight.

He is not ready to change yet, but he understands that I have an out of sight out of mind mentality and so when he has his junk food, he either keeps it in his car or hides it back on the top pantry shelves (I'm 5' 1").

Maybe you could approach your spouses and explain that you don't expect them to understand it but that it's important to you and you still need their help. Don't ask for them to give up what they want to eat and do, but don't be afraid to ask for what you need (please don't eat XXXXX in front of me; please don't leave it out where I can see it, etc.).

I have a teenage boy, too, and that's challenging. Usually when I buy "junk" for him, I make sure it is in flavors he likes but I don't. I can look at hot and spicy Chex Mix or cool ranch Doritos all week long and not care a bit, and he still has his treat. I cook healthy and have healthy snacks around, so I don't want to be overly rigid with his food.

Hope you can get something worked out. I know it's frustrating