The Healthy Community #2 >

The Healthy Community #2

Community
Notices

The Healthy Community #2

Old 02-10-2010, 08:31 AM
FitDay Member

Hello everyone,

On track today and feeling pretty good! I made the mistake of buying one of those big bags of white buns at Costco...I have been dipping into them a little more than I should. So the remainder went into the deep freeze this morning. But not the end of the world, I have been keeping away from white bread for quite awhile now, had my fix, now will avoid it again. I feel better without it.

Diane, Way to go stepping up the exercise! I am still (still!) not feeling motivated to step up my exercise routine and need to take care of that ASAP. Or in reality, I will not see the results I want to see..and I know that. With treadmills, the more you spend, the quieter and more stable they are. They are very heavy, very difficult to move around. I have moved mine several times..!

Mandevil, Sometimes you have to allow yourself a cheat meal, and not feel guilty about it. We can't be perfect, and overindulging every once in awhile is OK.

Patti, I hear you, weekends are tough for me too! I am bent on getting through this weekend without going overboard. Let's do it - we can - we just have to plan!!

Gallusgal, Congrats on fitting into the dress! What a great feeling, clothes aer the best indicators!

Grizzly, Keep at it, eventually you will see results! Wish this process would happen alot faster, but we all know it takes diligence, time and patience..something which I am short on..!

Have a great day everyone!
Old 02-10-2010, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

Hi everyone, thanks for sharing all that you did. Kathie, you make good points and you have an uncanny knack for making even difficult things positive. You are a real survivor.

I am inspired by everyone else's commitments today...wow...you are all on track. It is awesome to hear about the goofs that didn't turn into disasters, the clothes that fit great, and figuring out how to compensate, exercise, and eat right.

My cardio class was again canceled due to weather, but you guys make me determined not to be the only slouch, so I'm going to do some incline on the treadmill tonight and maybe the 30-Day Shred DVD. (Yes, some treadmills are heavy, but I've seen some ads for those that will fold and are more portable). I am thinking it would be quieter than step aerobics!
Old 02-10-2010, 08:40 AM
FitDay Member

Last night, before I had the munchies but possibly because of the same mindset...I really wanted comfort food. I made small pork chops for supper and had only one, and I made some "mock" mashed potatoes. There was one small potato in it, half a cup of turnip, half a cup of cauliflower, half a cup of carrots....then all mashed together. It was delicious and I could eat a LOT of it. I did make some powdered gravy and put some on the mock mashed potatoes. If you use the powdered gravy, and make it with plain water as opposed to meat drippings, it really isn't high in calories at all. It really was good. If you are inventive, you can still enjoy those comfort foods we love so much.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:56 AM
FitDay Member

Doing better today, got my dinner planned out and 1400 calories for the day. I really am becoming a fan of the zig-zagging, I can't do 1600 calories every day but I can handle 1400 calories one day at a time, knowing I can be more relaxed on Monday and Thursday. Didn't make it to the gym because of the snow, but I did do 30 minutes of Pilates on DVD. Quite an accomplishment working around 2 kids . Don't have a good way to make up for the cardio but that's a good replacement for the circuit training. There's an arc trainer at the gym I absolutely LOVE, I get my heart rate up and break a sweat with no impact at all. I have bad joints so even step aerobics is a little too much some days, running is definitely out. If I had room I think I'd buy one, they're a lot like the Gazelle someone mentioned earlier. Quiet too, since you're up off the floor.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:51 AM
FitDay Member

Well, I made it through the super bowl party.....been working out for 20-40 minutes daily and feeling good.
Diane, I use the gazelle, to me it is a great low/no impact cardio as I have bad knees. It is silent as long as the "joints" are kept oiled. My husband laughs at me because I oil it with olive oil... don't know why I do but it works great! (maybe I thought if its good for us it would be good for that too!) My husband is a contractor so he really got a kick out of that! Anyhow... they are much lighter than a treadmill, but akward to move, best to have 2 people.
Kathy, thanks for sharing your story, you truly are inspiring. Thanks for sharing all your insight as well as we continue on our journey. The mock mashed potatos sound delish! Gonna make them this week.
Lizzycritter, I have started zigzaging my calories this week, finding it hard to get to the 1400 range seems I am averaging 950-1150 calories, weighin is friday so will see how this goes and make adjustments accordingly. What the heck is an arc trainer? I am thinking about getting another cardio machine, already know I don't want a treadmill, I'm am leaning towards an eliptical machine at this point.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:11 PM
FitDay Member

Hey gals, Just checking in...Still doing my calorie zig zagging and it's going pretty well. How about you Cassie? I heard today that eating meals like Healthy Choice and Lean Cuisine are actually not good for you because they are loaded with sodium and therefore cause you to retain water. Anyone care to weigh in on this? That would really suck because they are my standard lunches.

Cassie, at the same time I started zig zagging my calories, or watching them even, I started on 50 mg of Zoloft for anxiety. I have had no energy lately which is odd for me. Usually I spend the better part of my days cleaning and lately I can't get moving. Any idea if this is a side effect of the pills? My calories are usually 1100-1600, mainly 1400 though. It's bumming me out. I haven't even started exercising yet because I can't get moving. Thanks for any insight you may have. Michelle
Old 02-10-2010, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Michelle, yes, I am still loving the zig zag; yesterday was a high day and my son and I went out for pizza and I was within my daily range, so that was nice. To me it is more realistic to have a varied intake. As for the frozen dinners, any of them will have preservatives and salt...but you gotta do what you gotta do. The important thing is to have something you can live with; do the best you can...no one is going to be nutritionally perfect all the time. I am partial to salt myself and I know that's not good, but there are only so many things I can change at once, you know?

About the Zoloft; yes, in the early days it can very well sap your system. Meds like that can show side effects at times for a couple weeks (max) until your body adjusts. If you change dosages, the same thing could happen. If it lasts more than a couple weeks, ask your doctor.

If you can make yourself exercise even a little bit, you will have more energy. Exercise releases endorphins that make you feel good. I usually find myself heading for the treadmill when I'm ticked off! But I know how hard it is when you have no energy. Maybe start really slowly, like tell yourself you will just do five or ten minutes...you can do anything for five minutes, and give yourself a nice treat afterward like a bubble bath or a good book or whatever works for you. Just not a food reward!

I hope this helps. Take care of yourself, listen to your body, push a little, but don't overdo

CassieJ
Old 02-10-2010, 01:36 PM
FitDay Member

Jessie-the arc trainer is kind of like an elliptical, except it's more of a back and forth motion like cross country skiing than your feet going in circles.

scndtonun-If you're mindful of your sodium intake and aren't going over for the day, the frozen meals can work but they aren't a balanced meal on their own. I rely on them too, Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice mostly, but I add a fresh fruit and fresh or frozen veggie to each meal. I have 10 hour workdays and limited time to eat at work, and I'm not much of a sandwich person. It keeps me out of the fast food.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:52 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks so much. I just realized that I recently stopped taking Phentermine too because it was making me clench my jaw all the time causing headaches. Wondering if that could be the cause...I took away my energy in a pill!! I love salt. I can't help it. I will munch down a whole cucumber, but it's gotta be covered in salt etc. Ok, I will try the exercise thing. Maybe the key is to start small and work my way up. Tonight I will push to do some situps, biceps, and squats...Then I'm snuggling up with my book. Good tip Cassie. And I agree, zig zagging is the only way I could even considering staying on my current eating plan. I have to be able to have a forbidden food once in a while without feeling like I failed. The food log helps me tremendously.

Lizzy, I do the same with my lunches..I add a salad to them. A gal would starve to death otherwise. No wonder they are only 200+ calories, the food quantity is enough for my 18 month old!!
Old 02-10-2010, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

Ahh, so you have an 18 month old! Well, that explains it. People used to ask my where my son got all his energy...I told them he sucked it out of me!

Do what you can do and be proud! You will get there!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.