Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Weight Loss Tips
The Healthy Community #2 >

The Healthy Community #2

Community
Notices

The Healthy Community #2

Old 02-08-2010, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

Could you emotional cleaners please come to my house and let me know what gets you upset?

Kathie...you are singing my song today! I had an early appt. and went rushing out without breakfast...can't remember the last time I did that, but there's no excuse for not at least grabbing a banana. I didn't eat till about 11 and I have been literally dragging all day!! Lesson learned.

Patti, welcome to you and good to see that everyone made it through Snack Weekend Extraordinare! New week...we'll make it a good one!
Old 02-08-2010, 09:22 AM
FitDay Member

Hi all! I have been reading through the thread, can I join in please? It's funny reading about the 'emotional cleaners'...one of my turning points was when doing the housework. I was vacuuming upstairs and I just had to sit down, I couldnt stand any more as my back was killing me! I don't know about the rest of you, but it just seems that now is the right time for me to really change my approach to food, health and life in general.

My husband is very fit; he goes to the gym every day and really looks after himself. he has never put me down for being overweight although I wasn't when I met him, it just kind of crept up over the last few years after some bereavements and tricky times. he is so proud of me and what I have achieved in the last month, and that makes me more determined to succeed. I plan my food intake every day and eat lots of fish, chicken and fresh fruit and veg. I drink green tea, redbush tea and water. I do try to avoid processed foods as much as possible; but I do allow myself for eating out etc.

At the weekend we dined out, I had plain chicken breast with garden peas and a jacket potato, and loads of salad. I have to say I really enjoyed it, and I had two nice glasses of wine with dinner without even feeling guilty, I had plenty of calories in my allowance for that! I also had a chinese meal with some friends last week, I ordered chicken chow mein and didn't even eat half of it, the portion was huge! It was a great feeling to push that plate away knowing I had had enough, whereas before, i would have scoffed the lot.

These boards are a great idea and I love to read about how everyone else is doing and some of the wonderful success stories are so inspirational. Keep up the good work fellow losers, it is great to be able to share our little successes, disappoinments and ideas with others who actually understand!
Old 02-08-2010, 10:46 AM
FitDay Member

Hello Patti and Galusgal - Welcome!

Gallusgal, I have a very supportive husband too. He does not condemn me for my weight which has been up and down since we have been together 19 yrs. I have a few friends whose husbands always get on their case about getting 'fat'. Making comments when they are eating dessert, etc. Arrgh! AND none of them are even what one could consider 'fat'...which ticks me off because they say this to them in front me and I am obviously more than a little overweight. There is something very wrong about it, I am just glad my husband is not that way I suppose! It is ridiculous.

Mandevil, Way to go with pre-planning for a meal out. That is the way to do it!!

Kathie, Thanks, I'll drop you a line. I love flax seed, I think it adds a great taste to cereal, and yogurt too. lol Rage Cleaning, that is hilarious!! I have done that before...gotta be careful if you tackle the dishes during rage cleaning though...something could break!!!!! lol

Kathie, Cassie, Bananas are my on-the-run food too. They work well to tie me over for a few hours. I think that burnt out feeling is the blood sugar going up and down. I am doing my best to eat 5 small meals throughout the day. But the morning meal is key for me, I must have it or it throws my day off.

Busy day with paperwork today; lots of sitting around..but am going to get out for a walk later on! Have a chicken in the oven and will make soup tonight, and also have chicken on hand for meals throughout the week.

Take good care of yourselves everyone!
Old 02-08-2010, 12:52 PM
FitDay Member

Default Do I need more calories?

Hello All;
I've got a question. I've been doing the healthy eating & working out , this starts my 3rd week. When I looked back at my calorie totals I've got 10 days below 1,000 calories , a couple at 1,200, & I'm working out about 1 hour 6 days a week. Didn't feel well yesterday, so I skipped the treadmill. Today I'm very light-headed. A bit dizzy. After bending over lost my balance & fell. The light headed feeling has pretty much stayed all day. I did use the treadmill but I had to hold on to maintain my balance, only did 1 mile, & it was a bit slower than normal. Could my calories be too low? Sat. calories 1,100, Sun. 870 calories. I'm 50 years old, on medication for thyroid problems the thought of increasing my calories does scare me, but I do realize if they're to low I won't lose weight either.
Any suggestion? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:52 PM
FitDay Member

Need2, You are probably way too low on calories. What you are describing sounds like really low blood sugar. You should be eating a MINIMUM of 1200 calories a day, and when you are working out you probably need more! You should eat a carb 30 or 40 minutes before you exercise and then eat a protein after. Made sure you are hydrated, drink water all day, and while you are exercising. You aren't losing weight and exercising to get sick! It is supposed to be to get healthy. As tempting as it is to try and do it fast, it really isn't healthy. You take care of yourself. I would take a day or too off exercise until you are no longer dizzy, and be sure and eat enough.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:05 PM
FitDay Member

Need2, you should talk to your doctor since you're on thyroid meds, there's a risk of cardiac side effects with those. Your calories do sound way low, but if your thyroid's out of whack, your needs will be different-another reason to consult the doc. Don't be too proud to go (like me LOL)
Old 02-08-2010, 04:27 PM
FitDay Member

Not gonna lie... last few nights I have been lazy. I see myself falling into the "Eh, I've lost some... and feel good and look good enough... I'm done" mode... and I am scared. I am losing my will power to do this! What should I do?
Old 02-08-2010, 05:09 PM
FitDay Member

Jen!! Don't quit! You are such an inspiration to us all!!

I guess you need to really evaluate whether you are where you want to be. And even if you stopped, could you maintain, or would you gain it all back?? I do understand how you are feeling though. I am really wanting to eat! But if I give up, then over a month has been wasted! Same for you! What a wasted effort. You are done so incredibily well! If you need the odd indulgence, then do it, but get right back on track. I know how hard it is. I really do.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:25 AM
FitDay Member

Need2 - definitely not enough calories! I am also in my 50's and have 10 - 14 pounds to lose. I was 1200 and under daily and not really losing. Then life happened and one day I was more around 1350 - then I lost!?! So eat more. Also, I have no medical issues but since you do, Lizzy is right - why mess around - make a Dr's appt. I assume that you wanted to lose weight to get healthy but thyroid is something that has to be closely monitored so, be healthy! Get it checked out and follow your doctor's direction on weight loss
Old 02-09-2010, 12:25 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Jennifer!

Maybe you need to take a little bit of a break for a while and do a maintenance plan...not lose but not just give up, either. Regroup for a couple weeks and then see what happens; you can always kick it into high gear again. That way you won't lose any ground, your effort will still matter, but you won't be feeling like it's so hard you can't go on any longer. You can really pull it out when you need to and you defiinitely know how to do it, but it's more important to have something you can live with than burning out just to lose X pounds by a certain date.

JMO...good luck. You can do it! You have made so much progress, no shame in taking a break; just don't go in the other direction

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.