Ask an (ex) 400+ Pound Guy Anything! >

Ask an (ex) 400+ Pound Guy Anything!

Community
Notices

Ask an (ex) 400+ Pound Guy Anything!

Old 02-18-2011, 06:13 AM
FitDay Member

Michael

I just want to add my thanks and if you ever figure out that essence that flips the switch please let me know. I agree that when you have it nothing can derail you. If only we could bottle it for the times we need extra help.

Mary
Old 02-18-2011, 06:25 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Snapshots73
Well, I guess I should have posted some stats about myself. I'm 37, female, 5'4" and I weigh 176.6. I am a new non-smoker. I quit on the 21st of January. I started working out and watching what I eat on the following Monday. I am somewhat clueless about food and what is good and bad, but I am learning. I just feel like banging my head off something (like a pillow) I started out at 177, its been a few weeks now, whats going on???? I get up at 4:30am, @ 8:30 I workout, I usually do an hour. I have been doing the Bob Harper cardio, which I can't do the whole thing but I can do about 31 minutes, which I am proud of, I do some extra butt kicking for ever smoking in the first place, but I will do the whole hour workout. One of my goals. I do change it up. I do the wii fit somedays. I walk outdoors, I have a treadmill.(which I walk on) some have one and hang clothes off them. I must be doing something wrong, and if my mom says its because muscle weighs more than fat, I think I just may scream. Any advice, tips, support...I would appreciate it. For my small goal, I would like to be down to 166 by my birthday which is next month on the 26th. Somethings gotta give, Im
First I suggest you start a new thread for yourself asking this same question, you will get much better responses when it isn't buried inside another thread.

Here are some ideas of areas to look at to improve your results.
* What is your daily calorie burn, how many calories do you consume and what is your resultant calorie deficit? (Hopefully you have used the Fitday tools to help you see and track these. If not, you need to.)
* What is your Protein, Carbohydrate and Fat ratios for the calories you are eating? Many have problems losing weight if their protein ratio is not near 30% or greater. There are multiple threads about optimal ratios but the bottom line is you may need to experiment to see what works best for your body.
* Good food vs. Bad food- Food is not inherently good or bad. But most of us eat way too many calories for the nutrition that food provides. Try to eat nutrient dense foods like lean meat, eggs, legumes (beans, lentils, etc.), fruit and vegetables. These foods have relatively high nutrient/calories ratios. Don't leave out fats. Your body needs fat for nutrient transport and nuerological function as well as being shown to have a statiating effect on hunger. Avoid processed/packaged food, simple carbohydrates (white flour, sugar, fruit juice).
* It is much easier to adjust your diet than to try to out train it. You can eliminate calories from your diet much easier than you can exercise the same amount of calories away. This isn't to say exercise is not beneficial or necessary just that I've found the old saying 'You can't out train a bad diet' to be true. I say this because losing weight is 80% diet, but the focus of your post is all about your workouts.

Hope these ideas help you tweak your plan so you can achieve your goals.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mecompco
(8 oz. glass mixed 50/50 w/vodka and grapefruit juice)
I'm glad to see that you had a healthy choice in your diet.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:50 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
I'm glad to see that you had a healthy choice in your diet.
Yes, vodka is a good source of carbs. I'd avoid the grapefruit juice, though.

Regards,
Michael
Old 02-19-2011, 11:15 AM
FitDay Member

Default I see your point!

I couldn't care less what other people do or say. Once my "switch" is flipped, I can't be stopped.

Thank you!
Old 02-21-2011, 06:08 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Mike,

I was wondering if you were ever in denial about your weight? I know I certainly was for a long time. I'd go out and look at people and think..."I'm not so big as her, I must be doing ok..." (Eventually, I started to realize I had to point out larger and larger folks to compare myself to!)

Or...were you pretty much aware of your habits and simply hadn't had the switch flipped yet to change?

Thanks for putting yourself out there like this!
Old 02-21-2011, 07:26 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mecompco
You know, I see on the forums here many times about spouses and others not being supportive or even (perhaps not meaning to) being saboteurs to people's weight loss endeavors.

For me, personally, I couldn't care less what other people do or say. Once my "switch" is flipped, I can't be stopped. My wife eats candy, brings home Chinese, sits on her butt watching TV; so what? I eat my 1500 calories of decent food and do my exercise. If we go out to eat together, I order the healthiest thing I can and get a take-out box with the meal and immediately transfer half the meal to it.

Really, weigh loss is an individual decision and no one can make us lose weight, or gain weight. It is up to us what we do or do not put into our mouths. Is it perhaps easier with full support? Of course. But is it impossible w/o it? Absolutely not. Just make up your mind to DO IT come hell or high water--that's my take on the situation, anyway.

Regards,
Michael
I completely agree with you that you have to just do it. I don't know how many times my husband comes home with goodies and I say no, you can have but I won't do it. It was hard at first, sometimes ending in binges but eventually I got sick of it and stuck to my guns. My health is more important.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:58 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by taubele
Hi Mike,

I was wondering if you were ever in denial about your weight? I know I certainly was for a long time. I'd go out and look at people and think..."I'm not so big as her, I must be doing ok..." (Eventually, I started to realize I had to point out larger and larger folks to compare myself to!)

Or...were you pretty much aware of your habits and simply hadn't had the switch flipped yet to change?

Thanks for putting yourself out there like this!
The sad thing is, I knew exactly what I was doing, where I was at and where I was headed. Sort of like a heroin addict shooting up. I don't know why.

Regards,
Michael
Old 06-27-2011, 12:56 PM
FitDay Member

Default New here - looking to help my brother

Hi, I'm new to this forum & I'm trying to get ideas on how to help my brother. He weighs about 400 lbs. and I'm so worried about his health. He never eats breakfast or lunch, then goes through a drive-through for dinner. He is completely sedentary, including at his job. He said he would be willing to try eating something quick and easy while driving to work, but is too busy to make breakfast. What can I suggest to him? I also want him to have some healthy choices at his desk, so he can eat throughout the day. But I have no clue as to what would be good for him - meal replacement bars, maybe? I don't think just a piece of fruit would be enough to keep him satisfied. Any suggestions you can give me would be greatly appreciated! My brother is 54 and I'm so afraid he won't be around much longer if he doesn't do something soon.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:42 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by cwbraves
Hi, I'm new to this forum & I'm trying to get ideas on how to help my brother. He weighs about 400 lbs. and I'm so worried about his health. He never eats breakfast or lunch, then goes through a drive-through for dinner. He is completely sedentary, including at his job. He said he would be willing to try eating something quick and easy while driving to work, but is too busy to make breakfast. What can I suggest to him? I also want him to have some healthy choices at his desk, so he can eat throughout the day. But I have no clue as to what would be good for him - meal replacement bars, maybe? I don't think just a piece of fruit would be enough to keep him satisfied. Any suggestions you can give me would be greatly appreciated! My brother is 54 and I'm so afraid he won't be around much longer if he doesn't do something soon.
From what you say, it doesn't sound like he is really ready for a lifestyle change. I speak from experience when I say that no one can make anyone lose weight. We all need to make the decision to do it for ourselves. I know where he's at and how it takes 99% of your energy just to get through the day. How it hurts just to get out of your chair and how out of breath you get just walking 50 ft.

Really, there's only a few little changes that have to be made and making time for a good breakfast it one of them. I eat a fairly high protein breakfast every day. A couple of eggs and either some bacon, turkey sausuge or beef steak. Around 300-350 calories and it will get you through to lunch time.

There's no reson to eat special diet food or any of that stuff. Just eat reasonable amounts of nutritious food. Exercise is important, but it may be a while before he can do much and that's fine. The last thing is to drink as much water within reason as you can.

This is that worked for me, of course, with the help of FitDay. The logging of your food intake and calorie burn is very important. You might encourage him to log on and set up an account. If he is really ready to make a change, he will. If not, well, there's not much you can do. I really hope he is ready.

Regards,
Michael

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.