Ask an (ex) 400+ Pound Guy Anything! >

Ask an (ex) 400+ Pound Guy Anything!

Community
Notices

Ask an (ex) 400+ Pound Guy Anything!

Old 02-17-2011, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mecompco
An excellent question, Mike. And I had in mind to ask you about that in the near future.

One of my goals for this weekend is to clean off the weight bench and get it ready for use.

Really, due to hauling the excess baggage around for so long and my daily walk my legs are really not bad. The old upper body, though, well...I'd def. be getting sand kicked in my face at the beach!

So, considering a finicky lower back and a bothersome left shoulder (some sort of annoying nerve probably around the should blade area) where would you start?

I have a complete set of dumb bells from 1lb up to 25lbs, a straight bar, a curl bar and a couple hundred pounds of cast iron plates. My bench has incline, decline and I have a lat pull-down attachment as well.

Regards,
Michael
I guess I'd really have to know how finicky and how bothersome those areas are. You don't want to injure yourself but you back may be finicky b/c it's needed to be built up. Let me see what I can come up with and I'll reply back when I get in from work.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:44 AM
FitDay Member

Unhappy Help from anyone please

Well, I guess I should have posted some stats about myself. I'm 37, female, 5'4" and I weigh 176.6. I am a new non-smoker. I quit on the 21st of January. I started working out and watching what I eat on the following Monday. I am somewhat clueless about food and what is good and bad, but I am learning. I just feel like banging my head off something (like a pillow) I started out at 177, its been a few weeks now, whats going on???? I get up at 4:30am, @ 8:30 I workout, I usually do an hour. I have been doing the Bob Harper cardio, which I can't do the whole thing but I can do about 31 minutes, which I am proud of, I do some extra butt kicking for ever smoking in the first place, but I will do the whole hour workout. One of my goals. I do change it up. I do the wii fit somedays. I walk outdoors, I have a treadmill.(which I walk on) some have one and hang clothes off them. I must be doing something wrong, and if my mom says its because muscle weighs more than fat, I think I just may scream. Any advice, tips, support...I would appreciate it. For my small goal, I would like to be down to 166 by my birthday which is next month on the 26th. Somethings gotta give, Im
Old 02-17-2011, 07:53 AM
FitDay Member

Michael,

This is an amazing idea! You're a great inspiration and have a lot of great advice for so many people, no matter where they are on their weight loss journey.

I guess I'm curious about the mechanics of how your life is changing as your weight decreases. I'm assuming at 400 lbs. you have to make adaptations just to get through a normal day since everyday things aren't designed for a 400 lb. person. (For example, airline seats, cars, restaurant booths, MRI's, etc.) It must be so limiting to be at that weight. What kind of things are you now enjoying that were impossible at your highest weight? It's kind of a strange question, but I'm just curious what it's like to be in the mind of a 400 lb. person. You must have to kind of think ahead as to what challenges you're going to face in a normal day. Am I right?

It would make an incredible book if you think about it. How your life has changed, how people treated you then compared to now, etc. I hope you're journaling as you go. It would be a fascinating read for a lot of people.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:54 AM
FitDay Member

I have that excess skin issue too, so I decided to start doing some toning and muscle building, hoping to fill out some of it. I still have a bit of excess skin, but it's much less noticeable when I flex. I have a bum shoulder too, same thing - nerve pain and all that, and guess what's been helping, this crazy body ball workout my physical therapist gave me! So that bum shoulder of yours, that's nothing but a lame excuse Mister, very lame LOL. Might be true on the bad back as well. Although DH has a bad back and all the stretching/muscle tone in the world won't fix it, so maybe we'll let you have that one.

So when are you dusting off that weight bench exactly?
Old 02-17-2011, 09:42 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
So when are you dusting off that weight bench exactly?
I plan to be out Jeeping all day Saturday, so Sunday is the day. I WILL get the junk off it--pinky promise!

Yes, the back has been a problem since I was a teen--went to the chiropractor for years--slipped disc. This summer, though, I had a lower back spasm and that was just the worse thing I've ever been through. Six months later it's pretty good, but I still feel it sometimes. The shoulder is sort of "there" all the time--usually I can forget about it but if I do too much it will wake up and really be annoying (including making it hard to sleep). Went to PT for it years ago and that helped some--I can "snap" the bones and that helps some, as does direct pressure on the worst spot. I'll put up with some pain if I have to but of course I'd like to minimize it.

Regards,
Michael
Old 02-17-2011, 09:54 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by quinnesec
Michael,

This is an amazing idea! You're a great inspiration and have a lot of great advice for so many people, no matter where they are on their weight loss journey.

I guess I'm curious about the mechanics of how your life is changing as your weight decreases. I'm assuming at 400 lbs. you have to make adaptations just to get through a normal day since everyday things aren't designed for a 400 lb. person. (For example, airline seats, cars, restaurant booths, MRI's, etc.) It must be so limiting to be at that weight. What kind of things are you now enjoying that were impossible at your highest weight? It's kind of a strange question, but I'm just curious what it's like to be in the mind of a 400 lb. person. You must have to kind of think ahead as to what challenges you're going to face in a normal day. Am I right?

It would make an incredible book if you think about it. How your life has changed, how people treated you then compared to now, etc. I hope you're journaling as you go. It would be a fascinating read for a lot of people.
Ha ha--I know I've seen a book by a lady who lost lots of weight--I forget the exact title. We've actually covered some of this in the 100+ to lose thread--it's one of those things that is tough to understand if you've not experienced it (not that I recommend that to anyone ).

So yes, one must always be thinking ahead--can we get a table at the restuarant and not a booth? If I get into that car, will I be able to get back out? Is the handicapped bathroom stall available? If not, can I get in and out of the "normal" stall. Will this toilet seat break (they can)? Boy, that folding chair looks pretty shaky--better keep as much weight as possible on my feet. Will that seatbelt latch? (We have extenders). You can pretty much forget flying--no way I'm paying for two seats! Need to get into the emergency room for a back spasm? Send out the burly security guard with the "extra large" wheelchair (that "just barely" fits through the doors). How close can I park? Can I find a handicapped seat in the theatre? Can I fit through the turnstile?

I've gotta say, things are much easier now! I know I'm no skinny mini at 275 lbs but I can do most any "normal" thing now (and I'm just getting started).

Regards,
Michael
Old 02-17-2011, 10:04 AM
FitDay Member

It's hard for me to imagine what that must have been like. The only thing that has been similar in my life is when I spent 8 weeks in a wheelchair a few years ago. Losing my mobility was so horrible. Lots of planning with wheelchairs. My experience really opened my eyes to disabilities, whatever they are.

I especially liked going to restaurants where the wait staff would ask my husband, "What would she like to eat?" My legs were immobile, not my mouth. lol
Old 02-17-2011, 10:33 AM
FitDay Member

you said this your 3rd go-round loosing large amount of pounds and that you don't know why you regained. What will you do differently this time when you reach your goal?
Old 02-17-2011, 11:23 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by great_1
you said this your 3rd go-round loosing large amount of pounds and that you don't know why you regained. What will you do differently this time when you reach your goal?
Hmmm--well, of course I know "how" I regained--falling back into old habits and thought patterns. The "why", though, is a good question. We didn't cover that in Psych 101 . Why does any addict backslide?

I've given the problem some thought and I think like the alcoholic who does AA that I'll have to rely on a support system like we have here on FitDay. I actually used FitDay back in '01 when I lost a couple hundred pounds in nine months and it worked well. Of course, I eventually stopped logging my food and exercise and gradually slipped back into the old habits.

This time around I plan on logging everything pretty much forever. I like seeing the logs and the accountability of it. Time will tell.

Regards,
Michael
Old 02-17-2011, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Michael,

I have bad shoulders (dislocated both several times) but as long as I'm not stupid I don't have an issue. Nerve problems may be different. Besides dumbbells how much free weight do you have? My neck and back are problematic as well. I visit my chiropractor on a pretty regular basis, usually b/c I did something stupid like lift too much.

Ok I just went back and read, a couple hundred pounds.

If you have the time to dedicate, I'd suggest P90X. Even though I no longer do it and now prefer compound lifts, I think it helped me build my foundation. I know P90X is a little extreme but I think you are the extreme type of guy, I'm mean how many people can say they lost a couple hundred pounds in 9 months? Seriously. It is hard, I won't lie to you but I think you have the determination to do it. The other good think is that you probably have enough weight for most of the exercises, You'd probably just need a couple heavy dumbbells and a pullup bar. Now, before you start crying that you can't do a pullup, they show you ways to modify exercises so you CAN do them. The best thing about P90X is that the results come fast! Also, once you finish round 1 (90 days) if you want to keep going, start over, do round 2, round 3, whatever. Here's a guys http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFpkeeK9SKE that doesn't live too far from me, he started at 246 #'s, not far from where you are not. (Hell at the rate that you are going, you'd have to have it express delivered so you could start at that rate.) Well he did 3 rounds and looks like a new person. 270 days may seem like a lot but IMO his results are worth it.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 02-17-2011 at 12:45 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.