Notices

When to eat Breakfast????

Old 02-09-2011, 11:01 PM
FitDay Member

Question When to eat Breakfast????

My husband's work schedule is such that I wake up with him at six in the morning, monday through friday, to get him off to work. I don't work, so I have the option of going back to bed when he leaves. If we were up too late the night before, I will occasionally do just that, to ensure that I'm getting 7-8 hours of sleep.

Now I know that you are supposed to eat breakfast every morning, preferably within an hour of waking up, to kick your metabolism into gear.

My question is: If I plan on sleeping for a couple more hours after he leaves, should I eat breakfast with my husband and then go back to sleep? Or should I go back to sleep on an empty stomach and eat when I wake up again? Which of these options is going to be the best for weight loss?
Old 02-09-2011, 11:06 PM
FitDay Member

I don't think it matter so long as you keep the calories in check. Now me, I would eat first thing, go back to sleep and then eat again after I'd gotten up the second time, but that's just me. I love breakfast.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:35 PM
FitDay Member

I would do the same as almeeker to keep my metabolism moving, but my second breakfast would be more like a 100-200 calorie snack unless I slept until lunch. It does depend on how low the calorie total you're going for is. I eat 5 times a day, so that would fit right in for me. But if you're on 1,500 calories and eat a healthy but higher-calorie breakfast with your husband, you may shoot for a lower-calorie snack option.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:55 PM
FitDay Premium Member

I agree--I really don't think it matters. I usually eat right around 6:00 on work days but on weekends we usually end up sleeping in and I cook a big "brunch" around 10:30 or 11:00 (usually bacon, eggs and toast) so have 500 to 600 cals instead of my usual 300. As long as the day's calories are within your plan I think you'll be fine either way.

Regards,
Michael
Old 02-10-2011, 12:08 AM
FitDay Member

Default For Clarification...

I am on a 1200 calorie diet. I'm just trying to figure out the eating schedule that works best to keep my metabolism going in high gear. Falling asleep on a full stomach has always been put out there as a huge diet no-no... so I'm wary of eating breakfast and then going to sleep immediately afterwards. Is sleeping on a full stomach going to slow down my metabolism if its just a two hour nap?
Old 02-10-2011, 12:41 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by taleynet
I am on a 1200 calorie diet. I'm just trying to figure out the eating schedule that works best to keep my metabolism going in high gear. Falling asleep on a full stomach has always been put out there as a huge diet no-no... so I'm wary of eating breakfast and then going to sleep immediately afterwards. Is sleeping on a full stomach going to slow down my metabolism if its just a two hour nap?
Although you can find studies to prove almost anything, the last one I saw said that "they" found no difference in weight loss between those who consumed their calories throughout the day and those who consumed more in the evening. The total caloric intake is what "they" found mattered.

Personally, I usually end up having 800 cals between 6 pm and my bedtime at 8:00 to 8:30 pm (later on Fri/Sat nights as I don't have to get up at 3:45 as I do on weekdays).

Now, I like this as late afternoon/evening is a danger time for me--it's pretty easy to want to snack while watching TV. If that time is spent eating supper, then that urge doesn't occur. Of course, YMMV.

Regards,
Michael
Old 02-23-2011, 04:15 AM
FitDay Member

mecompco, thanks for the heads up on eating late! I have an urge to eat later in the evening, even though I am not really hungry and am finding that I can more easily resist it if I have eaten a later meal than normal. But i was worried about the eating a meal so late in the day.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator

if you get up at 6 and are hungry, then eat. If not eat a little later.