Go Back   FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Weight Loss Tips
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 09:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 10
Default Tips on Reaching Goals

So, I decided this morning that I want to be 130lbs by my birthday, which is June 15th. I currently weigh 138lbs.

I know, I know... 8 pounds in 4 months. SHOULD be totally doable, right? my problem is that weight loss has always been a very sloooow process for me, and i have never reached one of my goals in the past. I really want to reach this goal.

I am looking for some motivational/nutrition guides on how to do this. I am currently in week four of p90x, and don't really have any troubles when it comes to exercising. I enjoy it, and can work out consistently with little problem. My big problem is eating properly, without "cheating" (... is it still cheating if it happens daily..?). Are there any tips that people have on ways that I can keep myself on track, mostly with diet? Any pictures that people use to keep themselves motivated?

I was thinking of monitoring my eating more closely. I am thinking of staying around 1500-1800 calories per day, and trying to keep my carbs under 125 grams (i am a carb-aholic). any feedback? advice?

really appreciate it.
katie0615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 55
Default

Hey Katie,

I think you can definitely do this, a half a pound a week is a realistic goal and it sounds like you have a good reason to reach it in time, so that is always good motivation. And your diet plans sound good! Everyone responds to dieting a different way.

If you are having a hard time with the diet part, there are a few things that have worked for me in the past. First, it's always easier with a friend, so if you know someone that has similar dieting goals, you could check in with eachother and keep on track. You could probably find someone here that would be willing. I'm competitive, so I like doing bets like whoever meets their goals better gets a free night out from the other person or something like that

The biggest shorterm motivator for me is putting my weight goals on my fridge so I have to look at it before I go for the ice cream haha. You could also put it in your wallet if you are tempted to eat out. Good luck!!
__________________
I am choosing long term happiness over temporary satisfaction

Starting Weight 2/1/2011: 170.8 lbs

April Fools Goal: 153 lbs
Ultimate Goal 10/11/2011: 130 lbs

Current Weight: 160.6 lbs
Twinnermommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
almeeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie0615 View Post
(... is it still cheating if it happens daily..?)
Nope it's not cheating, daily cheating is a bad habit. Much harder to break and keep under control than "cheating", trust me I'm an expert on bad habits...
__________________
Starting weight: 244.6 lbs. 10/01/09
Pounds lost: 80.6 lbs
Current weight: 164 lbs
Goal weight: 120 lbs
Weight to go: 44 lbs
Goal Date: 1/1/13
almeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 10
Default

i like those ideas!!!! the wallet is genius. i will try it for sure.

my mom and i kind of have always had a bet going. we said that whoever could lose 5 pounds first would have bragging rights.... that was like 6 months ago :P hahahaha :P
katie0615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2
Default

A commercial web site has a diff. perspective when it comes to weight loss. they rather turn you fit or a little bit buff whenever your program is applicable. you should try it.

Last edited by mecompco; 02-06-2011 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Removed SPAM link
jadecrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 90
Default

Hi Katie,
You don't say what your activity levels are like. If you're not doing any exercise then think about starting. Weight's lost in the kitchen and not the gym, but exercise, especially lifting weights, will boost your metabolism and help get you leaner. (Don't worry, you won't bulk up)

Also... 1500-1800 calories is a big range. 1800 calories doesn't sound to me like a weight reduction intake for someone who's only 138lb. Have you used Fitday's weight goal calculator? It will give a good idea of how many calories your body needs each day and it can help you set a weight loss target.

I'm no expert, but I would think that 1600 calories would be a better, more specific target for you. Stay on top of those carbs, keep up the protein and stuff your face with lovely fresh veggies.

Good luck
Geoffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 40
Default

If that's about 1/2 pound a week (saw someone else wrote that), then I don't think it should be a problem at all!

Along time ago, I did WW and did well with it. HOWEVER, I did notice that I had to reduce my carbs to get that scale moving consistently. I do not know what the actual numbers were in terms of carbs or calories though.

Today, my doctor put me on a food plan very similar to the one outlined in the Primal Blueprint. I'm losing faster on this plan than I was previously. My carb intake seems to vary from 20-80 max.

I have noticed I need to eat probably less than 80 grams of carbs a day to lose weight at a decent rate...assuming my overall calorie intake is reasonable (slightly reduced). Usually, the two tend to go hand in hand.

My recommendation would be to consider reducing your carbs to 100 gramas and if that doesn't work, try +/- 80. Also, I agree, if calorie counting is part of your plan, you should check out the food calculator here to see what you are allowed daily in order to reach your goals. Perhaps 1500-1600 is more accurate.

Re: staying motivated...I would NOT keep ANY carbs (ESPECIALLY SWEETS!) in your house and make a committment not to eat any carbs (other than veggies and a little fruit during the week). On the weekends, perhaps allow yourself a sweet potato, brown rice or something not too damaging in the carb department...for a little treat. I've heard some people say that they only eat these items (healthy carbs) on days that start with "S."

Also...keep photos of yourself at goal weight around. Consider looking what kind of outfit or shirt, etc. that you might want to buy yourself for your birthday and how great its going to look on your at your new weight. Then when you get to your new weight...go out and BUY IT!

You are certain to do very well and meet your goal!!!

What a GREAT bday you are going to have!!!

Hang in there!!!!

Last edited by AAFlaca; 02-06-2011 at 05:47 PM.
AAFlaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northeastern PA
Posts: 117
Default

Another tip to discourage cheating is to use your camera phone to snap a picture of EVERYTHING you eat before you eat it. It really reduces the mindless snacking.
Kay_in_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1
Default

Hey Katie, I would totally be willing to help with support if you'll do the same for me (as twinnermommy suggested). I think social support really helps me. I want to drop 10-15 lbs and it's been embarrassingly slow. My problem is eating also. I just love food, even if it's "healthy/natural". My vice is pb and cashews, which really don't help with fat loss if I consume it too much. So let me know what you think!
frozenbluestars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
Hi Katie,
You don't say what your activity levels are like. If you're not doing any exercise then think about starting. Weight's lost in the kitchen and not the gym, but exercise, especially lifting weights, will boost your metabolism and help get you leaner. (Don't worry, you won't bulk up)

Also... 1500-1800 calories is a big range. 1800 calories doesn't sound to me like a weight reduction intake for someone who's only 138lb. Have you used Fitday's weight goal calculator? It will give a good idea of how many calories your body needs each day and it can help you set a weight loss target.

I'm no expert, but I would think that 1600 calories would be a better, more specific target for you. Stay on top of those carbs, keep up the protein and stuff your face with lovely fresh veggies.

Good luck
Hi! thanks for your input! i am fairly active. currently, my job is pretty stationery, with a lot of driving, but i am working out 5-6 days per week, with p90x. the nutrition guide for that suggests that i eat 1800 calories, and i don't want to dip too low from that, just because i don't want to lose steam. haha i have tried the nutrition calculator on here, and its great. i guess i still need a little push though haha. thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAFlaca View Post
If that's about 1/2 pound a week (saw someone else wrote that), then I don't think it should be a problem at all!

Along time ago, I did WW and did well with it. HOWEVER, I did notice that I had to reduce my carbs to get that scale moving consistently. I do not know what the actual numbers were in terms of carbs or calories though.

Today, my doctor put me on a food plan very similar to the one outlined in the Primal Blueprint. I'm losing faster on this plan than I was previously. My carb intake seems to vary from 20-80 max.

I have noticed I need to eat probably less than 80 grams of carbs a day to lose weight at a decent rate...assuming my overall calorie intake is reasonable (slightly reduced). Usually, the two tend to go hand in hand.

My recommendation would be to consider reducing your carbs to 100 gramas and if that doesn't work, try +/- 80. Also, I agree, if calorie counting is part of your plan, you should check out the food calculator here to see what you are allowed daily in order to reach your goals. Perhaps 1500-1600 is more accurate.

Re: staying motivated...I would NOT keep ANY carbs (ESPECIALLY SWEETS!) in your house and make a committment not to eat any carbs (other than veggies and a little fruit during the week). On the weekends, perhaps allow yourself a sweet potato, brown rice or something not too damaging in the carb department...for a little treat. I've heard some people say that they only eat these items (healthy carbs) on days that start with "S."

Also...keep photos of yourself at goal weight around. Consider looking what kind of outfit or shirt, etc. that you might want to buy yourself for your birthday and how great its going to look on your at your new weight. Then when you get to your new weight...go out and BUY IT!

You are certain to do very well and meet your goal!!!

What a GREAT bday you are going to have!!!

Hang in there!!!!
haha this is scary. carbs under 80 :S i didn't think it was possible. lol today, i have just had lunch and i am already at 80 hahahaha. oh man. i am such a carboholic, but i guess extreme measures are needed...

thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay_in_PA View Post
Another tip to discourage cheating is to use your camera phone to snap a picture of EVERYTHING you eat before you eat it. It really reduces the mindless snacking.
this is an awesome idea. i actually thought about this a couple times today when i thought about grabbing a handful of tostitos chip-things. haha and it stopped me!! i will use this tip. thanks a bunch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenbluestars View Post
Hey Katie, I would totally be willing to help with support if you'll do the same for me (as twinnermommy suggested). I think social support really helps me. I want to drop 10-15 lbs and it's been embarrassingly slow. My problem is eating also. I just love food, even if it's "healthy/natural". My vice is pb and cashews, which really don't help with fat loss if I consume it too much. So let me know what you think!
sounds like we are similar!! i would love to keep each other on track!
katie0615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2