Notices

Hello, my name is kathie and I am a carboholic

Old 02-02-2010, 04:27 AM
FitDay Member

Default Hello, my name is kathie and I am a carboholic

Hey out there in fitdayland! I, and quite a few others I have noticed, am a carboholic.

I can keep my calorie intake inline most of the time, but I am eating way too many carbs! I always eat complex carbs, good healthy choices...but too darned many of them.

I am wondering if there are any fitday users here who have mastered their carboholism and how they did it!!??

If you are a carboholic yourself, join this CA group (carboholics anonymous) and lets see how we can beat this addiction!!
Old 02-02-2010, 07:31 AM
FitDay Member

Default *raising my hand on this*

Originally Posted by kathietaylor
Hey out there in fitdayland! I, and quite a few others I have noticed, am a carboholic.

I can keep my calorie intake inline most of the time, but I am eating way too many carbs! I always eat complex carbs, good healthy choices...but too darned many of them.
Kathie, if you're eating around 1200 or so calories per day, how bad can your 'addiction' be? Is it possible you're being a little hard on yourself?

May I suggest that you keep eating the way you are and add regular exercise? Come on, darlin! You know you want to! You'll feel better and you may find yourself reaching for the carbs less often.

I'll beg - if it would help. Pleeeeeeease?

Endorphins are your friends! (I know they're mine.)
Old 02-02-2010, 08:09 AM
FitDay Member

I think I fall into that category as well. By lunch I am over 100g of carbs. I have tried cutting back on bread and potaoes, but it still goes up. I know eating bananas contributes to it, but I am trying to get proper food/vitamins. I would also like to know how to keep them around 100g a day!
Old 02-02-2010, 12:21 PM
FitDay Member

It hepls to really want to do something.If youre not into it 110% then its going to be hard,kinda like quiting smoking or chewing it takes about 6 months to be completely over it.And yes exersize does help AlOT.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:11 PM
FitDay Member

Well yes, exercise helps of course...but the issues isn't exercising so much as overeating the carbs...but darn they are in everything!! They show up in beans, and in fruit, and in milk and milk products, and they show up in certain vegetables...I am just stumped as to what to eat? Nothing but fish and egg whites? Yuck!

It is possible that the fitday count is a little inaccurate, as net carbs are carbs minus fibre, and I don't think that this program figures that out. Perhaps it isn't possible to keep the carbs at 40% using this program? Anyone have any thoughts on that?
Old 02-02-2010, 11:31 PM
FitDay Member

Katie, I really believe you can eat healthy portions as LONG AS YOU EXERCISE. But when you want to loose weight, you have to cut the calories and increase your cardio. Once you get to where you want to be in weight, I belive you can eat anything if you incorporate a healthy dose of exercise.

With that said, I am a Recoverying Carboholic and I swear I'm taking it a day at a time. When I was in the throws of carbo addiction, I was taking it a meal at a time and even sometimes an hour at a time.

Good luck! Regina

Old 02-03-2010, 01:43 AM
FitDay Member

Default the good/bad mindset

Kathie, carbs in and of themselves are not bad. As I said before, your body needs a minimum of 100g per day just to keep you out of ketosis (where your body breaks down lean tissues to burn to replace the glucose it wants to fuel brain function.)

If your carbs are coming from vegetables, fruits and dairy foods - those are the "good" sorts of carbs! That's okay! That's what you want in your diet! There's a lot of nutritional bang for your caloric buck in those foods.

From what you've shared in other posts, you're doing fine. Fixating on what you see as overeating carbs is a way of kicking yourself everyday when you should be proud that you're making such healthy choices. I hate to see you grinding down on yourself when you're doing so well.

I'm going to sound like a broken record - but really - exercise! It will give you something healthy to focus on and it feels good.

Plus - it burns those bad nasty carbs!!!
Old 02-03-2010, 01:46 AM
FitDay Member

I don't know if you're a diet soda drinker, but I found some interesting information between that and carbs. I absolutely love carbs. That's all I would eat if I could. However, I learned that the aspartame in diet soda makes you crave carbs and sweets. I quit diet coke a couple of months ago, and found that it really does help with the carb cravind.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:04 AM
FitDay Member

Kathie,

I think the fight against 'carbs' is a bit of a red herring. We all know not to eat sugar, highly processed grains, etc, but as you know 'carbs' exist in nearly all food. And they're not necessarily bad. But there's a difference between eating a slice of bread and eating an orange. Both have plenty of carbs, but you get much more nutrition from the fruit. So don't eat empty foods. Skip bread, rice, potatoes, and eat fruits and veggies instead.

Personally, I find eating 40%protein/30%carbohydrates/30%fat keeps me satiated. I eat lots of meat, but that's what works for me.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:30 AM
FitDay Member

Carboholics unite!

I go through stretches where I crave carbs alot, then it subsides. I have not connected this to getting adequate protein yet. But I believe keeping up the protein percentage will result in feeling more satisfied and curb the carb cravings. I am still struggling with getting my daily protein intake up (but I am getting there!).

Good point a few people have made about the choices of carbs; I think that is very important to consider, and something I never thought about. Keeping an eye on that carb percentage is a good thing to track, but also giving yourself some room to see the number may be higher than your 'goal percentage', but consider the sources of the carbs. I am going to take that into account from now on.

I have heard that about aspartame too, being linked to increased carb cravings. From what I have discovered, there is nothing at all positive about consuming aspartame! I can't eat it because I developed some sort of allergic reaction a couple years ago. And perhaps that was a blessing in disguise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.