Notices

Night time munchies??

Old 01-21-2011, 04:56 PM
FitDay Member

Default Night time munchies??

Hi all! I have a problem with getting late might munchies. I try to eat a dinner that will hold me over, while still keeping my calories in check, but it's not working. It seems every night about 9-10 o'clock I get an attack of the munchies. I've tried drinking water, but that doesn't seem to work. I have been keeping to healthy snacks though, and keeping the calories low, but I know it's hurting my efforts. Any advise?
Old 01-21-2011, 05:04 PM
FitDay Member

One thing that worked for me in the past was to eat all snacks with celery. So, in order to have one small acceptable snack, I had to eat six stalks of celery. At first I went through a lot of celery, but eventually it got easier to go without the snack.

I prepared for that this time by purchasing lots of celery, but ended up usig it in soups instead.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:07 PM
FitDay Member

As you're keeping it within your calorie total for the day i sincerely doubt you're hurting your progress in any way. I'm quite sure the whole thing about not eating late is a complete myth.

I'm sure someone who knows more than me will give a better medical explanation. But as long as it's not late-night binging, or eating when you're half or all the way asleep and you are unable to really know what you're consuming, I think you're fine.

Good luck!
Old 01-21-2011, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

When you eat doesn't matter as long as you are not overeating.

I always eat late at night. I am eating a tofurky sandwich right now!
Old 01-21-2011, 05:18 PM
FitDay Member

The celery thing may work, since I am not a huge fan of plain celery, if I know I have to eat it, I may just skip the snack all together lol

I'd love if it was a myth, I've just heard it so many times, not sure what to believe.

I'm just stuck, and the scale isn't moving, so I'm trying to figure out what I can do better. Thanks you guys.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by williamscouple
I'd love if it was a myth, I've just heard it so many times, not sure what to believe.

I'm just stuck, and the scale isn't moving, so I'm trying to figure out what I can do better. Thanks you guys.
It's a myth! Now I'm eating a veggie corn dog!
Old 01-21-2011, 09:17 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC
It's a myth! Now I'm eating a veggie corn dog!
i wish more people were vegetarian, it's so good for body and for the world
Old 01-21-2011, 09:48 PM
FitDay Premium Member

The studies I've read recently say that the time of day has no bearing on how the body burns calories.

If you figure the snacks into your calorie plan, I don't see a problem with them. I generally finish my relatively large supper (7-800 cals) within 2-3 hours of bedtime. So, I don't get a chance to get hungry again.

You could also go to bed earlier, if that is a "danger time" for you (as it is for me). Other studies have show that those who get more sleep tend to lose weight faster (somewhat counterintuitive, I know).

If you're not losing, you may need to rethink your calorie intake level, perhaps weigh/measure your portions for a while and/or bump up your activity level.

Let us know how things go.

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-22-2011, 05:49 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by MunaAmin
i wish more people were vegetarian, it's so good for body and for the world
Some people just can't be vegetarian.
I am allergic to nuts and by cross contamination, seeds and dried fruits. I also have a sensitivity to some legumes and am supposed to limit them.
My granddaughter is allergic to soybeans and sensitive to peanuts. She is also allergic to a couple of vegetables and several fruits, and then sensitive to several more by family.

For both of us, it would be nearly impossible to take in sufficient protein to remain healthy. Especially if we are together because we are unable to even be in the same environment as our allergy foods.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rainbow24
Some people just can't be vegetarian. I am allergic to nuts...

For both of us, it would be nearly impossible to take in sufficient protein to remain healthy.
I'm allergic to nuts too. And to Iodine. I get plenty of protein as a vegetarian.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.