Notices

Night time munchies??

Old 01-23-2011, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rainbow24
My husband ate them. We haven't kissed in years, so its ok.
HAHA, ROFLMAO!!!
Old 01-23-2011, 04:53 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mecompco
The studies I've read recently say that the time of day has no bearing on how the body burns calories.

If you figure the snacks into your calorie plan, I don't see a problem with them. I generally finish my relatively large supper (7-800 cals) within 2-3 hours of bedtime. So, I don't get a chance to get hungry again.

You could also go to bed earlier, if that is a "danger time" for you (as it is for me). Other studies have show that those who get more sleep tend to lose weight faster (somewhat counterintuitive, I know).

If you're not losing, you may need to rethink your calorie intake level, perhaps weigh/measure your portions for a while and/or bump up your activity level.

Let us know how things go.

Regards,
Michael
Well, My calories are already low (1000-1200) with the snacks, so going lower not an option. I could increase the exercise though.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:58 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
My personal opinion is that there is only so much you can "fight" your body on. This is one thing that my body and I had to compromise on.

If you're having a healthy snack and the calories are low, it shouldn't be hurting your efforts.

I'm a night owl and if I couldn't eat after dinner, that would leave me 5-6 hours to fill. I also usually work out at night.

I just try to plan ahead. As I get into the afternoon/evening, I make sure everything for dinner is loaded into the food log, then I know how much "room" I have for snacks.

Usually, I try to eat one "non-impact" snack, such as celery sticks, carrot sticks, cuke slices, etc., one snack to beef up the part(s) of my pie chart that are lacking (generally protein and/or fat, so I'll have some almonds, pistachios, walnuts, peanut butter on the celery, or even sliced turkey) and one snack that I really enjoy, like some fruit, popcorn, pretzels, frozen yogurt, cheese & crackers. If I get all my food logged in ahead of time, I can make sure that everything is balanced enough with respect to the calories, pie chart, fiber, etc. Especially if I've worked out, I have a protein-y snack after that.
That is exactly what I am trying to do. Healthy snacks. And I am allowing for, since I realized I am going to "need" it. I'm still getting into my new routine, so I guess I'll figure out what works eventually. Thanks
Old 01-24-2011, 12:15 AM
FitDay Member

After dinner while unwidning around 7-8pm i am allowed a "snack" which is usually a treat food like a skinny cow ice cream, or fruit smoothie... around 100-200 cals.

After i eat that- i GO TO BED...what better way to be healthy and avoid the cupboard!?!!

Get your booty in that bed and fall asleep!
Old 01-24-2011, 04:24 AM
FitDay Member

Default Mmmm...Jalapeno Life Boats!

Originally Posted by kcolville
After dinner while unwidning around 7-8pm i am allowed a "snack" which is usually a treat food like a skinny cow ice cream, or fruit smoothie... around 100-200 cals.

After i eat that- i GO TO BED...what better way to be healthy and avoid the cupboard!?!!
One of my favorite low cal/high satisfaction snacks is what I call .....
Jalapeno Life Boats...Total cal count is less than 100 calories.
These are great! Hot! Cheesy! and you can spice them as you like....

Take 4 fresh jalapenos (4-5 inches long)
Learn About Jalapeno Peppers - Chile peppers, hot peppers, jalapeno heat, scoville units
Wash them and cut off the stem end
Now split them lengthwise and scoop out the seeds (discard the seeds)
You now have 8 Jalapeno " life boats"

Unwrap 1 Frigo String cheese serving (4 inches long)
Frigo 100% Natural String Cheese, 100% Natural - Deli - reviews, ingredients and nutrition from Zeer.com
Cut the "string" into two 2 inch lengths
Now cut each of those pieces lengthwise in half,
and those halves lengthwise in half again
You now have 8 cheese "sailors" for each one of the Jalapeno boats
SET THE CHEESE ASIDE UNTIL LATER

Place the jalapeno boats on a microwaveable plate
Cover and microwave for 2-3 minutes depending on desired firmness

I sprinkle garlic salt into each of the boats (use any spice you like)
I then place each of the 8 pieces of cheese into each of the 8 boats

I then micro the cheese filled boats for a minute at a time,
rotating the dish and monitoring the status of the cheese melt.

Mmmmmmmm delicious!---Less than 100 calories-
7 g of protein, 6 g of fat & 40% of RDA for vitamin C

Experiment and enjoy this delicious hot Titanic taste treat!
Old 01-24-2011, 05:35 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
Mai, is there an easy way to make pho at home? I love it and I'd like to be able to make it and know exactly what's in it so I can work it into my food plan. Right now when I go out for it, it's just a guess!
Cassie,
Yes you can make it at home. If you love to cook, you can give it a try. But I don't have the exact recipe. I just know the method, the taste you have to adjust by yourself.
Here how I do it
1. Buy the meat that you want, I buy beef shank (it have a big tough meat around little bone). If you want to cook for a big crown, add some beef bone (more flavor and more fat). You also can buy some round eye or bottom round roast, or any kind of lean tender cut for rare. You thin slice it and put it 1 layer ontop of the noodle before pour hot soup over it.
2. Pho Spices (at your asian store). IF they don't have, you can use the combination of 1 cinamon stick, 1Tbsp of clove, 3 star anises, 1Tbsp pepper corn, 1 cadimom pod. Put them in a cheese cloths or a herb ball.
3. Rice noodle dry or fresh. Fresh is better, you just need to blanch them for 1/2 minute right before you serve. Dry, you need to soak them in cold water for 3 hours, then rinse and blanch for 1 minute right before you serve.
4. Bean sprout, basil, green onion and cilantro Chopped, hoisin sauce, sirrachia (chilli sauce).
5. Rock sugar (or just regular one), salt, MSG (optional)
6. 1 onion, and a 4oz fresh ginger slice or smash.
How to cook:
If you use bone, it more complicated. You need to boil the bone for 5 minutes, then wash them under cold running water, so all the scum to get all the scum out. Then add them to you soup pot.
If you just use beef shank, wash and put it in the soup pot and water and bring to a boil. Becareful, and get all the scum out the first 20 minutes so the stock be clear. After you take out all the scum about 30 minutes. Put in an onion and sliced ginger, a Tbsp salt. At this point you can cover the pot to prevent avaporate and keep the flavor in. Let it simmer for a couple hours. When you think the flavor in the bone came out of thebone.
You add 1 or 2 piece of rock sugar, MSG, and more salt to taste. Then You put the spice which already prepare in the herb ball. This step take about 20-30 minutes. Check after 20 minutes to see if you like it or not. If you let it boil too long it will be too strong.
There you have a Pho pot.
Put the blanched noodle on the bowl, add rare meat, chopped scalion, cilantro. Then pour hot soup in the bowl with the meat we have been cook in the pot. and serve.

Let me know if you have any questions. I am happy to help.
Mai
Old 01-24-2011, 09:26 AM
FitDay Member

I wake up at 3am almost every morning and have to take my Synthroid (Levothyroxine) for my hypothyroidism. I'm always famished at that time but know I can't eat for an hour (its a requirement of this medicine). So I go to bed and wake up famished at 7am and start making breakfast.

I have a bad habit of eating more calories at breakfast and lunch than at dinner. I think that is why I'm so hungry. This is also bad because I take a medicine at dinner that must be taken with 500 calories or more. I never make it to 500 calories on my low carb diet. I guess my medicine is less effective. Note: I'd take it at breakfast or lunch, but it makes me tired, so dinner is the best choice. I go to bed by 9pm or 10pm at the latest and usually eat dinner at 7:30pm on the weekdays and 6:30pm on the weekends.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:06 AM
FitDay Member

I had the same problem, loved a bowl of ice cream before bed. I had trouble sleeping on an empty stomach. I switched to 100 cal yogurt and a metamucil drink. The extra fiber really bloats you up and gives you a feeling of being full at only 20 cals.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:57 AM
FitDay Member

Yep thats my problem, falling asleep while my tummy is growling. I also do the yogurt in the evening or fruit. Unfortunately, cant do the fiber drinks, because of IBS. Which by the way, has improved greatly since I have changed my diet.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:01 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Cthebird
I wake up at 3am almost every morning and have to take my Synthroid (Levothyroxine) for my hypothyroidism. I'm always famished at that time but know I can't eat for an hour (its a requirement of this medicine). So I go to bed and wake up famished at 7am and start making breakfast.

I have a bad habit of eating more calories at breakfast and lunch than at dinner. I think that is why I'm so hungry. This is also bad because I take a medicine at dinner that must be taken with 500 calories or more. I never make it to 500 calories on my low carb diet. I guess my medicine is less effective. Note: I'd take it at breakfast or lunch, but it makes me tired, so dinner is the best choice. I go to bed by 9pm or 10pm at the latest and usually eat dinner at 7:30pm on the weekdays and 6:30pm on the weekends.
Have you tried a whey or casein protein shake before bed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.