Night time munchies?? >

Night time munchies??

Community
Notices

Night time munchies??

Old 01-22-2011, 06:33 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC
I'm allergic to nuts too. And to Iodine. I get plenty of protein as a vegetarian.
Where do you get your protein from?
I found a list after I posted this question. I do have to limit my legumes as well. I have some favorite legume recipes, but my doctor said no more than a small serving once a week or so.

I know there are some great gluten free grains and flours, but most, if not all available to me, may contain traces of nuts.

Last edited by rainbow24; 01-22-2011 at 06:49 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

My personal opinion is that there is only so much you can "fight" your body on. This is one thing that my body and I had to compromise on.

If you're having a healthy snack and the calories are low, it shouldn't be hurting your efforts.

I'm a night owl and if I couldn't eat after dinner, that would leave me 5-6 hours to fill. I also usually work out at night.

I just try to plan ahead. As I get into the afternoon/evening, I make sure everything for dinner is loaded into the food log, then I know how much "room" I have for snacks.

Usually, I try to eat one "non-impact" snack, such as celery sticks, carrot sticks, cuke slices, etc., one snack to beef up the part(s) of my pie chart that are lacking (generally protein and/or fat, so I'll have some almonds, pistachios, walnuts, peanut butter on the celery, or even sliced turkey) and one snack that I really enjoy, like some fruit, popcorn, pretzels, frozen yogurt, cheese & crackers. If I get all my food logged in ahead of time, I can make sure that everything is balanced enough with respect to the calories, pie chart, fiber, etc. Especially if I've worked out, I have a protein-y snack after that.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:49 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by MunaAmin
i wish more people were vegetarian, it's so good for body and for the world
I was a vegetarian through most of undergrad school, then I got sick, really sick and ended up in the hospital. One of the tests indicated that I was anemic, which was very surprising as I've taken a multi-vitamin with iron since I turned 16. Any how to make a long story short, I found out that I don't metabolize vegetable forms of iron, so in order to be healthy I cannot be a practicing vegetarian every day. Red meat 2-3 times/week, doctor's orders.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

I use to always get up around 3am and make some cereal. After hearing a ghost in the house on my late night feast, I no longer venture to the kitchen during the night. Besides that I found that if I drink a casein protein shake before bed it'll hole me over.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:35 PM
FitDay Member

I used to eat a big bowl of soup like Pho (Vietnamese beef noodle soup) at 11 pm. When I realize how much weight I put on over time. I try to eliminate it.
1. I try to go to bed early
2. I was starved at night for 1 week
Then I get used to it. Now I try not to eat after 7pm as much as I can. Of course, some time I have to break that rule and I end up over eating (I have 2 dinners), my regular dinner around 6pm, then social dinner like at my family in law, or friends.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rainbow24
Where do you get your protein from?
I found a list after I posted this question. I do have to limit my legumes as well. I have some favorite legume recipes, but my doctor said no more than a small serving once a week or so.

I know there are some great gluten free grains and flours, but most, if not all available to me, may contain traces of nuts.
I try to buy whole organic unprocessed foods so I don't have to worry about having a reaction iodine or to possible "traces" of nuts, plus it taste better and is healthier. I also look for the label "does not process nuts or use shared equipment/facilities". If I don't know what is in something I won't eat it.

I eat some dairy for fat and protein, but not from farms that feed iodine fortified soil, feed to their animals. I get other protein from fruit, veggies, grains, soy and plants. I do not take any supplements or protein powders.

According to the ADA and RDA I get more then my minimum requirement. I also lift pretty heavy and according to my muscles I get plenty!

ETA: I carry my allergy meds with me 24/7 just in case. It's hard to avoid accidental reactions no matter how careful you are. Plus as much as I hate to say it and as much as it pisses me off, people lie or think you are just being picky so I have had reactions in restaurants, etc.

Last edited by vabeachgirlNYC; 01-22-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mai, is there an easy way to make pho at home? I love it and I'd like to be able to make it and know exactly what's in it so I can work it into my food plan. Right now when I go out for it, it's just a guess!
Old 01-22-2011, 06:53 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC
I try to buy whole organic unprocessed foods so I don't have to worry about having a reaction iodine or to possible "traces" of nuts, plus it taste better and is healthier. I also look for the label "does not process nuts or use shared equipment/facilities". If I don't know what is in something I won't eat it.
I eat some dairy for fat and protein, but not from farms that feed iodine fortified soil, feed to their animals. I get other protein from fruit, veggies, grains, soy and plants. I do not take any supplements or protein powders.

According to the ADA and RDA I get more then my minimum requirement. I also lift pretty heavy and according to my muscles I get plenty!

ETA: I carry my allergy meds with me 24/7 just in case. It's hard to avoid accidental reactions no matter how careful you are. Plus as much as I hate to say it and as much as it pisses me off, people lie or think you are just being picky so I have had reactions in restaurants, etc.
We had our own laying hens for a while, but I kept having reactions. I found out that the landlord at our farm was feeding scraps to the chickens and wonder whether there were some nuts involved. Now I buy eggs from the store.

I looked at your food intake on another thread and see that you do get more than your daily requirements. Soy is an ingredient that I avoid as much as possible in our house, just in case my granddaughter ends up visiting. It is much easier to just keep it out of the house than to clean up every time she comes over.

I avoid restaurants, to the point that I carry a car oven in the van so I can cook while driving long distance. But if I have to, the epi-pen comes right out on the table so the server gets an eyeful of what could happen.

I used to work out at a public gym but kept breakig out in hives on my hands. I had to wear gloves because other patrons, and trainers, would snack on nuts and not wash their hands.

My granddaughter is also gluten free and I actually like her food, but there are very few flours that don't have possible traces. There is a grinding company near here where you can place special orders, I have been meaning to go in and talk to them personally.

You start getting the hang of when people are lying.

Oh, I have a young friend who is going into baking classes in college. She was thoughtful enough to bake me some nut-free muffins. I didn't have the heart to explain cross contamination to her, besides the fact that she used dried apricots and most packages say "may contain" on them. My husband ate them. We haven't kissed in years, so its ok.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:41 AM
FitDay Member

I try to save some snacks for bedtime. If I am hungry, I cannot sleep! I have a dear friend who eats peanut butter as a snack, to ward off cravings, and I like fiber bars because fiber makes you feel fuller longer. As long as you plan for a snack, you can make a healthy choice, and also not feel guilty about eating at night since it wouldn't be a matter of willpower
Old 01-23-2011, 10:59 AM
FitDay Member

If you're not too hungry and just have the munchies, try brushing your teeth early. You know how everything tastes funny after you brush your teeth? I try to brush mine right after dinner, then don't much care for food after that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.