Notices

Oh, that scale...

Old 01-12-2011, 04:44 AM
Super Moderator

Default Oh, that scale...

I just had a hilarious experience this morning and I thought I would share

My apartment is...not level. It has a gentle downwards slope from one end to the other. It's not so much that you notice it walking from one side to the other, but it is enough that light things will sometimes fall over for no reason.

I've learned to jibe with it, as I otherwise love the place.

However, this has made for very fun times with my bathroom scale. I try to keep it FIRMLY in one spot and weigh myself there, but it got moved somehow last night or this morning.

In trying to find the "good" spot again (the spot I used before) I was stepping on the scale randomly.

On Tuesday, it told me that I weighed 211.4 (about 3.5 lbs. lost in 8 days! yay!)

This morning, when I stepped on, it said 202.7. I was like WHAT? lol. It would be wonderful to lose 9 pounds in a day, but I'm sure it didn't happen. In tweaking the scale around the bathroom, my weight went anywhere from 221.5 to 202.7, and I couldn't find the "happy" spot again.

My boyfriend suggested that 202.7 be my new "happy" spot, and I was almost inclined to agree, because the number definitely made me grin. I got it back to where it said I weighed 212.0 and just left it at that. Maybe on low-confidence days I'll shift it back to the "low weight" spot We had a laugh though, for 10 minutes trying to find the happy weight zone. I know my scale might not be completely accurate, but I'd at least like it to be consistent!

Any of you ever have fun with the scale readout? I gotta make sure that thing stays put!
Old 01-12-2011, 05:15 AM
FitDay Member

My scale dropped more than a normal amount over the weekend and right away I reweighed and was going to go for best two outta three when I decided it wasn't even weigh in day and what was I doing! Just trying to torment myself I guess. No really... I do like to weigh every day just to keep an eye on things but I don't really register it on Fitday but once a week.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:22 AM
FitDay Member

The bathroom floor in this old house is level, Amen. The rest of the house is less so, much less so, stepping on the Wii Fit Plus balance board in the living room is a bit of a crap shoot, as far as accuracy is concerned. I've considered taping a square on the rug where I like it best, but the rug is an area rug, so it moves too. So then I thought maybe I should tape a square for the balance board on the rug, one on the wood floor for the rug itself, and then I'd probably have to tape an outline around the husband after I kill him for laughing at me. Our particular scale calibrates itself, but I do have a bit of fun monkeying around with the adjustment dial on my in-laws scale...

The best suggestion I can make is that you find another location with an accurate scale and weigh yourself there on a regular basis. Our gym has a really nice balance scale that is calibrated daily.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:43 AM
Super Moderator

My niece received a "soothing baby scale" at her baby shower. It plays music while you weigh the baby.

I am sure there's a way to parlay this into a comical version that would make weighing ourselves as adults more pleasant, but I've not got the time or the brainpower today to develop an idea...
Old 01-12-2011, 06:22 AM
FitDay Member

Alot of people where I live go to Publix to weigh. I personally don't want to get on a scale in front of a bunch of fit college students so I'll pass on that weigh in zone. We have a scale in our restroom at work and they just remodeled and we have an extra space with a little bench, a mirror and there is a lock on the door so you can do stretches and stuff everytime you have to go to the restroom during the day. NICE
Old 01-12-2011, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by almeeker
The bathroom floor in this old house is level, Amen. The rest of the house is less so, much less so, stepping on the Wii Fit Plus balance board in the living room is a bit of a crap shoot, as far as accuracy is concerned. I've considered taping a square on the rug where I like it best, but the rug is an area rug, so it moves too. So then I thought maybe I should tape a square for the balance board on the rug, one on the wood floor for the rug itself, and then I'd probably have to tape an outline around the husband after I kill him for laughing at me. Our particular scale calibrates itself, but I do have a bit of fun monkeying around with the adjustment dial on my in-laws scale...

The best suggestion I can make is that you find another location with an accurate scale and weigh yourself there on a regular basis. Our gym has a really nice balance scale that is calibrated daily.
I totally put red tape down in the bathroom >.> I'll never hear the end of it. I'm just starting, so I like to weigh myself just about every day as so far it's been reinforcing I told myself that once I hit 200 I'll weigh myself maybe 2-3 times a week. We'll see how I do!
Old 01-12-2011, 12:10 PM
FitDay Premium Member

LOL! That's funny. I, too, have a "sweet spot" that reads a pound or two lighter when I get the scale on it just right. I was thinking about marking the floor with a Sharpie--I still may.

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-12-2011, 11:52 PM
FitDay Member

hahaha- wouldent it be great if we could program our scales to sing songs of our choice pending the weight-

ya know- if i hit my goal weight the theme from rocky could play.

then if i was over my goal weight- baby got back could play.

hahaha
Old 01-13-2011, 12:35 AM
FitDay Member

This thread is hilarious. I try to leave my scale in one place in the bathroom that guests usually use, but I have to put it up any time someone comes over. The bathroom has quite a bit of definition between tiles, and if one of the scale feet is on a crack I can get a whacky reading. I'm now ABSOLUTELY convinced that my cat is moving the scale from time to time. She may be using it as a launching pad to the sink.

I used to think she kept me sane. Now, I half think she's messing with me.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:35 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by kcolville
hahaha- wouldent it be great if we could program our scales to sing songs of our choice pending the weight-

ya know- if i hit my goal weight the theme from rocky could play.

then if i was over my goal weight- baby got back could play.

hahaha
LOL! There's probably "an app for that", though stepping on a smart phone--probably not a great idea.

My WiiFit always lets out a loud sigh when I step on it for my weigh-in. Rude thing also inflates my Mii and exclaims in a lound voice "That's obese!" No crap!

Regards,
Michael

PS I love playing "Eye of the Tiger" when working out--there is some good music on the Rocky sound tracks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.