FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (/fitness/forums/)
-   Weight Loss Tips (http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/)
-   -   How low can ones baseline metabolism really be? (http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/284-how-low-can-ones-baseline-metabolism-really.html)

Jenna1977 01-27-2010 06:43 AM

How low can ones baseline metabolism really be?
 
Ive been looking for the answer to this question everywere and can´t seem to find it.
Does anyone here know how low your average baseline metabolism can be? Where´s the limit when the organs of the body can´t function anymore?

I count my baseline metabolism to a low number. I eat a little less than this number and I exercise 2-4 hours a day! On average I eat 1000 kcal less than my body needs. I should lose about 1 kg a week but I don´t. Ive lost about 1 kg a month so far! That´s basically nothing. How can this be?
Is it even possible to have a baseline metabolism as low as...say...3-400 kcal a day??

Ive tested myself for hypothyrodism and other tests to meassure your metabolism and they all say it´s normal. Im thinking it can´t be...:confused:

Does anyone have the answer to this question? It´d make my day!:p
Thanks!

doggiesnot 01-27-2010 02:40 PM

Hi,

I've heard others mention that if you take in too few calories, your body goes into starvation mode. Meaning, less calorie intake isn't always better. In other words, maybe you're eating so little that your body is conserving all it can, because it "knows". An exact calorie count is based on your personal info, such as height/weight/exercise. 1000/day sound like too little, and that could be why you're not losing weight. It could also be that your body has no more to lose, look at your body fat count. I was told to keep your calorie balance at 500-1000 calories less consumed than burned. Any less than a 500 calorie difference, and you will only maintain, if not gain weight. But any more than a 1000 calorie difference and your body reacts in a different way. But each body is different.

I hope that helps!

EDIT: I re-read your post and you do mention 1000 calories "less than" what the body needs. Sorry! That's what I do, too! I guess one other comment is that I changed my baseline to "sedentary" which says I'm still burning 2000 calories per day. 300-400 baseline is probably too low! Even 1000 is too!

Jenna1977 01-27-2010 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiesnot (Post 1938)
Hi,

I've heard others mention that if you take in too few calories, your body goes into starvation mode. Meaning, less calorie intake isn't always better. In other words, maybe you're eating so little that your body is conserving all it can, because it "knows". An exact calorie count is based on your personal info, such as height/weight/exercise. 1000/day sound like too little, and that could be why you're not losing weight. It could also be that your body has no more to lose, look at your body fat count. I was told to keep your calorie balance at 500-1000 calories less consumed than burned. Any less than a 500 calorie difference, and you will only maintain, if not gain weight. But any more than a 1000 calorie difference and your body reacts in a different way. But each body is different.

I hope that helps!

EDIT: I re-read your post and you do mention 1000 calories "less than" what the body needs. Sorry! That's what I do, too! I guess one other comment is that I changed my baseline to "sedentary" which says I'm still burning 2000 calories per day. 300-400 baseline is probably too low! Even 1000 is too!

Thanks for answering. I eat about 1200 kcal a day and I feel content with that amount and dont think it sends my body into starvation mode :) I hope :p
With all the exercise I get I cant get a grip around this. Ive done everything in the book ;) That´s why Ive started to wonder if my baseline metabolism isnt even 1350 as my calculation (and I thought that was LOW!!). Is it even possible that your body needs like 500 a day? A person with hypothyrodism, how low do they normally have? I mean, is it like a 100 less than other people or are we talking big numbers, like 400 less or more?

minniezota 01-28-2010 03:33 AM

I can't answer your baseline metabolism question, but everything I've ever read makes me believe 500 would be impossibly low (as in literal starvation). Here's a site that has some interesting information about it:
jackiestorm.com/metabolism.htm
her "living thin" page is also good
(jackiestorm.com/livingthin.htm)
Something else to consider: Are your measurements changing? If you are exercising 2-4 hours a day, you may be converting fat into muscle. The muscle tissue is more dense than fat so it will be smaller in dimensions than an equal weight of fat. If you are building muscle, the scale may read the same, but your measurements should shrink.

Jenna1977 01-28-2010 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minniezota (Post 2001)
I can't answer your baseline metabolism question, but everything I've ever read makes me believe 500 would be impossibly low (as in literal starvation). Here's a site that has some interesting information about it:
jackiestorm.com/metabolism.htm
her "living thin" page is also good
(jackiestorm.com/livingthin.htm)
Something else to consider: Are your measurements changing? If you are exercising 2-4 hours a day, you may be converting fat into muscle. The muscle tissue is more dense than fat so it will be smaller in dimensions than an equal weight of fat. If you are building muscle, the scale may read the same, but your measurements should shrink.

Thanks for your answer ;) I will check those pages out for sure!

Im sure maybe a kg or 2 is muscle but my measurements havent changed much either. This wole thing surprises me alot. It was never this difficult just a few years ago!:D

KimmyRocks 01-30-2010 02:34 PM

1200 calories is considered a 'very low calorie' diet
 
A very low calorie diet for someone who exercises 2 - 4 hours a day is not healthy or sustainable. It can impact your immune system, bone density and have other negative consequences to your health.

Seriously.

Any nutritionist would tell you not to restrict your calories any further. In fact, most would recommend you increase them with lean, nutrient-dense choices.

I'm concerned that your choices might not be contributing to your health and well-being. You might want to find a registered dietician in your area to work with. There's an online tool for finding one at
eatright.org

This will help get you you the information you need.

_itsme_ 01-30-2010 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenna1977 (Post 1923)

Ive tested myself for hypothyrodism and other tests to meassure your metabolism and they all say itīs normal.

If your tests are fine such a slow weight loss has smth to do with the way you eat and exercise.
What is your current weight? How tall are you? What is your BMI? If you are very close to your healthy weight 1 kg per month is not that bad. :)
How long have you been losing weight? May be you've just hit a plateau ;)
Try to change your exercise routine (if you are usual to low intensity cardio, try some high intensity exercise). Don't forget about strength training.
Change your diet - more protein, less carbs, more greens, less processed foods, etc.
Zig-zag your calorie intake
Drink more water
Green tea
Eat often (small portions)
Rest more (7-8 hours sleep)
Think positive which will reduce your stress level ;)
It will help you to boost your metabolism a little bit :)

ThisOnesForMe48 01-31-2010 07:45 PM

Reset your Metabolism
 
Hi - I want to start with I don't have an answer to your question - but maybe a tool for you to use for your problem.

I recently read a book by Jillian Micheals and watched a special of hers. The book is called Master your metabollism.

I have done so many hurtful harmful things to my body by using fad diets and counting calories. And yes the math says if you burn more calories then you consume you will loose weight.

But here is what I learned...our body - our hormones are not functioning properly because of all the additives, and chemicals that are in our foods. Not to mention plastic bottles that we drink out of and the checmicals that we clean with.

I hope that if you get a chance you will read her book and maybe find a solution in changing your heating habbits and styles...it is a little extra work but it is really worth it.

I wish you the best!

Williams45 02-03-2010 06:39 PM

I think my metabolism is that of a hibernating bear. I used to run miles a day, became injured and packed on 50 or 60 lbs in a year and a half. I was eating low calories and still gaining 1 to 2 lbs a week. I started lifting weights and some of that packed on as muscle but it's still a struggle for me to lose because I still can't do any cardio. It was so bad I went do various doctors to make sure all my glands were functioning but a few hundred dollars of copays later found nothing.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2