Notices

Terrible Hunger

Old 12-28-2010, 05:32 AM
FitDay Member

Question Terrible Hunger

Just a question -- do you get hit by terrible hunger pains? You HAVE to eat right away even though you should not be hungry? Is this a sign of not drinking enough water.

These pains hit me even after I had a good meal and I know that if I don't eat that I would get sick. For example -- I was a little bit hungry for lunch but I waited until Noon -- Had a nice salad, 2 oz of cheese, tomatos and dressing -- should have filled me up and WHAM it hit -- I was starving for no reason. Nothing wrong with me physically (sugar, etc is all ok) but this hunger can make me go WAY off.

Last edited by 160in2011; 12-28-2010 at 06:18 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:00 AM
FitDay Member

I try to eat something with good carbs and protein to try and fill me up more. Sounds like you didn't have enough to eat. Maybe add some chicken and chickpeas to your salad and you probably won't be as hungry.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:05 AM
FitDay Member

I would add some protein and a huge glass of water to that meal and see how that goes. Also, probably a silly question, but are you sure this is hunger pain and not some other pain?
Old 12-28-2010, 06:33 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by LisaAnnie
I would add some protein and a huge glass of water to that meal and see how that goes. Also, probably a silly question, but are you sure this is hunger pain and not some other pain?
Most definately hunger pains. It goes away when I eat and truthfully I have to be careful not to swallow air because I eat so quickly. I tell ya, if you had a cupcake in your hand and I was hungry, you might lose that hand holding the cupcake. One should not get that hungry!

Ok, more protein -- that makes sense -- but how much protein is your diet SUPPOSE to consist of? If protein is suppose to be 30%, then on a 1500 calorie diet that means that I can only have 450 calories of protein which is not very much (1 oz of meat is usually 100 calories; and 4 oz makes up a serving)

Thank you for your reply -- I should properly change my signature line to Hungry Girl
Old 12-28-2010, 06:37 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Hunny24
I try to eat something with good carbs and protein to try and fill me up more. Sounds like you didn't have enough to eat. Maybe add some chicken and chickpeas to your salad and you probably won't be as hungry.
Ann, thanks for the good carbs idea with protein-- I guess a nice slice of multigrain bread would have done the trick. I guess I have to stop focusing so much on calories (which hasn't been very successful).
Old 12-28-2010, 07:02 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by 160in2011
Most definately hunger pains. It goes away when I eat and truthfully I have to be careful not to swallow air because I eat so quickly. I tell ya, if you had a cupcake in your hand and I was hungry, you might lose that hand holding the cupcake. One should not get that hungry!

Ok, more protein -- that makes sense -- but how much protein is your diet SUPPOSE to consist of? If protein is suppose to be 30%, then on a 1500 calorie diet that means that I can only have 450 calories of protein which is not very much (1 oz of meat is usually 100 calories; and 4 oz makes up a serving)

Thank you for your reply -- I should properly change my signature line to Hungry Girl
Hmmm--I very seldom get "that" hungry on my 1560 daily calorie average (I always do a full 1500 but try to make sure it never goes over 1600). I shoot for a 40/30/30 carb/pro/fat mix and my average is pretty close to that. I do average right around 100 grams of protein per day.

I drink at least three 24 oz bottles of water at work, at least 12 oz w/breakfast and more at night. This does not include the black coffee I drink.

Try to make sure you eat foods that will "fill you up" and eat often enough that you don't get "that" hungry. I eat breakfast by 6, a fruit snack at 9, lunch at 11 and supper between 5 and 6 and in bed by 8 or 9.

Regards,
Michael
Old 12-28-2010, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

If protein is suppose to be 30%, then on a 1500 calorie diet that means that I can only have 450 calories of protein which is not very much (1 oz of meat is usually 100 calories; and 4 oz makes up a serving)
I also agree with protein filling you up...there have been studies that have shown that protein and healthy fats both help you stay fuller longer, though there are also studies that probably contradict that, as well, but I'm going on my own experience.

You may want to take another look at your protein choices. Boneless, skinless chicken breast is about 45 calories an ounce. A 5-ounce can of tuna is 100 calories. Lean meat, fish, beans, eggs, lowfat dairy...all are good sources of protein and may not have as many calories as you expect they would. Nuts, also, but they are high in calories so you have to be careful there.

Also, there is no hard and fast rule that says that you have to stop your protein at 30%. Do some experimenting as to what your body works best on.

I've read that as time goes by, your stomach "shrinks" and gets used to a lesser amount of food over time; try eating smaller but maybe more frequent meals/snacks if you think it might work for you.

One more thing...healthy fats do help satiate you. We've become conditioned that "fat is bad," but in reality, the monounsaturated fat is quite good for you, is thought to aid in weight loss, and is necessary for various body functions, and it can also help keep you feeling fuller.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:56 AM
FitDay Member

Default Thanks!

Wow, thanks for good ideas. I did not realize how I was not counting my protein correctly and how much water I wasn't drinking (compared to some people). I've been attempting to lose weight for so long that I've confused myself and no longer remember how to eat.

However, I do remember as a child I would eat breakfast; go to school and not eat until lunch -- now I would find that impossible. I'll have to find a breakfast w/protein & carbs that will stick to my ribs.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:04 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I'll have to find a breakfast w/protein & carbs that will stick to my ribs.
Pretty much my favorite work-day breakfast is 1/2 cup of egg beaters, 2 oz. of BBQd lean beef and two slices of the Country Kitchen low cal/low carb whole wheat toast w/1 pat of real butter. This is about 300 cals and has enough protein and a reasonable amount of fat to last me until my 9 am snack (usually a banana for the potassium and the fact that I like them).

I buy a pound or so steak (always look for the discounted ones) for $2 or $3, grill it and cut it into 2oz chunks which last me all week. I butter my griddle and cook eggs, steak and toast all at the same time so I'm done in perhaps 5 minutes.

Regards,
Michael
Old 12-28-2010, 10:18 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Your experience after a veggie salad for lunch is pretty common. I don't know how many times I've seen co-workers "be good" for lunch and then find themselves staring at the candy machine, ravenous, by 2:00.

There are also some foods, that can trigger that over powering hungry feeling. Apples do for me. I love apples and do eat them often, but if I try to eat one as a midafternoon snack all by itself in about 1 to 2 hours my stomach is going wacko with hunger. It is kind of contrary to the conventional wisdom of having a high fiber snack to "fill you up". (Some people get that same feeling with celery or other crisp fruit or veg.) As CJ said, you just have to figure out what will work for you - we are all different (Thank heavens!)

And...all the earlier advice about adding protein should really help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.